£245... but I really want them!!!

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Am I being mental even considering spending this much money on a pair of glasses?

I have some others I use for riding, but they are really cheap & dont look good, unlike these custom Oakleys...

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    yes you're mad.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    barking
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    If you can afford them, buy them! :D
    I've found Oakleys have always lasted with me.

And this is cycling. Plenty of times when you think about how much you're spending on something!!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They look sh*t. You'll look like a muppet.
    More problems but still living....
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Have you or a mate got an old pair of oakleys that they dont do anymore.

I ve just chopped a 10 year old pair of E wires in against a new pair of M frame Heaters and got a 40% discount. Oakley will do this on all their frames other than custom builds.

Check out infouk@oakley.com

I gotta say their service and communication is the best i' ve ever come across.
  • father_jack
    lidl had sunglasses, £8 with three lenses.
  • rude-dog
    rude-dog Posts: 67
    dont listen to em! BUY THEM !!!!

im after a simliar super expensive pair of radars, too much money for sure, but i'll buy them anyway!
  • father_jack
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Secteur wrote:
    Am I being mental even considering spending this much money on a pair of glasses?

the most mental thing of all is actually bothering to ask the opinions of a load of people you've never met. Buy them - don't buy them - no offence but I doubt if anyone cares.... :|
  • father_jack
    Cost to make -5p
    £245 for name sticker.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    If you like them and want them get them before some idiot tells you that you can get 25 pairs from Lidl for the same price.
  • father_jack
    What's idiotic about buying 25 pairs for the same price as a pair of overpriced ugly oakleys? I can undestand buy a ti saddle, carbon frame bike...but £200 on a pair of glasses? :roll: If they fall off when you're riding...

more money than sense. Spend that £240 on complete set of biking clothes. Set of lights.

op will still have a beer gut with that £240 pair of sunglsses lol (I have a bit of a gut too)
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Jawbones, as good as they are, look awful.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Get the Radars (I have them in this colour-way)

Were only* £150

* :shock:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • If they fit you okay and you can afford them, the get them. Oakleys are expensive but the lenses are the best you can get. Wear a pair of £8 Lidl specials in the sunshine and the put on a pair of any Oakleys and you will see the difference.

Nothing comes close to reflecting light like Oakleys do, and as mentioned earlier, their customer support is second to none. Also, should you scratch the lenses, go to an Oakley dealer and they will send the lenses away to be rebuffed so that they're as good as new. They'll also do any frame repairs.

I don't wear Oakleys on the bike as I can't afford them but I do have a pair of Oakley Crosshairs for casual and motorbiking use and they are phenomenal.

If you can afford them and you're comfortable wearing them, then get them. It really would be money well spent.

(And no, I have no association with, or work for, a company that has anything to do with Oakley whatsoever)
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Personally I think Jawbones look awful - there are much better looking (and cheaper) Oakley frames.

I have a pair of Bloc Stealths with interchangeable lenses that cost about £30, work perfectly in strong sunlight, and have lasted me about 10 years and still look great.

Having said that its your money to spend wisely or waste.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If they fit you okay and you can afford them, the get them. Oakleys are expensive but the lenses are the best you can get. Wear a pair of £8 Lidl specials in the sunshine and the put on a pair of any Oakleys and you will see the difference.

Nothing comes close to reflecting light like Oakleys do, and as mentioned earlier, their customer support is second to none. Also, should you scratch the lenses, go to an Oakley dealer and they will send the lenses away to be rebuffed so that they're as good as new. They'll also do any frame repairs.

I don't wear Oakleys on the bike as I can't afford them but I do have a pair of Oakley Crosshairs for casual and motorbiking use and they are phenomenal.

If you can afford them and you're comfortable wearing them, then get them. It really would be money well spent.

(And no, I have no association with, or work for, a company that has anything to do with Oakley whatsoever)

:lol: yeah, if there's one thing that's stopping me winning the Tour, its the clarity of the lenses in my sunglasses. Even more so as sunglasses worn on the bike inevitably get covered with sweat which would negate any advantage of better lenses inside the first 5 miles. Another triumph for a marketing department.

To the OP - if you like them and can afford them, buy them. But don't believe for one second the extra quality is worth the money.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Don't listen to others, lifes too short-if you want them then buy them.
    But try some on first-I did and left them in the shop as they looked awful,you can get a pair of Mframes for £100 and they are the dogs.
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    One thing you need to do before you buy is try some Jawbones on, they don't suit everyone and some people will find them uncomfortable or unstable on your face when riding.
    As far as the quality goes then you can't go wrong.
    The quality of the optics is far superior to the cheap junk from Aldi etc
    As other people have said if you like them and can afford them go for it, doesnt matter what anyone else says.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Better than Aldi? Yes, but not £237 worth. No one buys Oakleys for their value.
    Ugly? Yes, to a lot of people, but they are very popular. Good design always divides opinion.
    I like Oakleys, although I prefer the half jackets. My Jawbone's fell out my jersey pocket on a long descent last year. I rode back up just in time to see them run over by a car. I was gutted as they were in pieces, but realised the bits had just popped off. Once reassembled, they were fine, a small graze on one of the arms and 2 small nicks in the corner of one lens.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    If you can afford them and they fit get them, to some 245 quid is a lot of money to others pocket change.............
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Secteur wrote:

the most mental thing of all is actually bothering to ask the opinions of a load of people you've never met. Buy them - don't buy them - no offence but I doubt if anyone cares.... :|

+1
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    For me, Jawbones are the most comfy specs I own. Much moreso than Radars. Are Radars better? Slightly more windflow so less chance of fogging.

Mind you, I can wear Jawbones casually and not look like too much of a dick.

Mine were ok value, for Oakley, £180 all in. Including 3 sets of vented lenses, 3 spare earsocks, hard vault etc.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    tim wand wrote:
    Have you or a mate got an old pair of oakleys that they dont do anymore.

I ve just chopped a 10 year old pair of E wires in against a new pair of M frame Heaters and got a 40% discount. Oakley will do this on all their frames other than custom builds.

Check out infouk@oakley.com

I gotta say their service and communication is the best i' ve ever come across.

I did not know this!

I've got an old pair of half jackets that I don't wear anymore, very tempting!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Secteur wrote:

I have some others I use for riding, but they are really cheap & dont look good, unlike these custom Oakleys...

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

I wouldn't bother with the polarized lens, is there any particular reason you need it? I think alot of people go for it just because it's expensive. I'd go for a fire iridium lens, it will look far more bling (which I think is what your trying to achieve if you want pearl coloured glasses) and £40 cheaper. Don't bother with venting, it really doesn't make any difference and it's not a bad idea to try them before buying. Jawbones don't sit on my face very well, which is why I have Radars instead.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    A few of posters say try before buy, that's the problem. I've only been able to find one store and that's in London. Long way from here - and costly in time and cash.

Are there any other stores?, if so where?.

As I'll need prescription lenses as well it could get expensive.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    plowmar wrote:
    A few of posters say try before buy, that's the problem. I've only been able to find one store and that's in London. Long way from here - and costly in time and cash.

Are there any other stores?, if so where?.

As I'll need prescription lenses as well it could get expensive.

Look at the Oakley website, there is a store finder on there.

http://uk.oakley.com/dealers

There's an option for percription lenses on there as well.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    if you want them buy them! i spent £150 on a TT helmet which is still on sale, it's a Selev and it's meant to be £220 ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Thanks greasedscotsman.

Two of five dealers OK i.e. within 20 miles asked. but those in leicestershire and northants are a bit far.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    The question is - More money than sense?
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3