And the Winner of MBR Ultimate trail bike is....

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Every year you can play "Spot the incredibly poorly hidden cheat". So last year it was the legendary "Wheels are too narrow, brakes don't work, 10/10", year before it was "We fitted different tyres to the Trek and they were rubbish so we've marked it down"...

This year <trumpets> we have them setting a budget, which the Five Pro would come in under- then speccing optional upgrades to the Five that intentionally takes it over their budget!

They then draw attention to how good the (cheatingly upgraded) fork is and that the (cheatingly upgraded) rear end is still not all that stiff.

The Zesty's £200 under budget and gets criticised for details which would cost way under £200 to change but they don't get that chance. Though the Five gets the same criticism, it just doesn't seem to lose any marks for it.

Oh and it turns out the price they quoted is pish as well, the Five's £3189 with that spec making it almost the most expensive bike on test

OTOH the Guy Martin interview's very good and goes on about how good Cotics are, which is obviously correct ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    santacruz heckler just as good! and cheaper
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I think those Mojo's are shockingly ugly...each to their own

i think youre the one on their own mate :lol:
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    TBH i cannot believe they did a test called "Ultimate trail bikes" and:

A. Failed to include the Santa Cruz Blur LT2.1,
    B. Set the budget at £3k for a "Ultimate trail bike".
  • I'm glad somebody brought this up as I thought I was imagining it! Have been reading MBR for a few years now and while their obvious bias at first was amusing it is now just a joke!
    Every year you can play "Spot the incredibly poorly hidden cheat". So last year it was the legendary "Wheels are too narrow, brakes don't work, 10/10", year before it was "We fitted different tyres to the Trek and they were rubbish so we've marked it down"...

This year <trumpets> we have them setting a budget, which the Five Pro would come in under- then speccing optional upgrades to the Five that intentionally takes it over their budget!

They then draw attention to how good the (cheatingly upgraded) fork is and that the (cheatingly upgraded) rear end is still not all that stiff.

The Zesty's £200 under budget and gets criticised for details which would cost way under £200 to change but they don't get that chance. Though the Five gets the same criticism, it just doesn't seem to lose any marks for it.

Oh and it turns out the price they quoted is pish as well, the Five's £3189 with that spec making it almost the most expensive bike on test

OTOH the Guy Martin interview's very good and goes on about how good Cotics are, which is obviously correct Wink

+1 to all this. The test was an absolute disgrace. Five bikes in a Ultimate Trail Bike test? "We can't be bothered to test more" is basically it.

While the magazine is obviously aimed at the more affluent reader who likes riding trails and AM, thier narrow minded an blinkered views are ruining their credibilty. Why the insistance that all riders must have/like 711mm bars? Sorry MBR but you don't no my preferences and marking stuff down for swaying from this is absurd. Similarly their views that we all must have 140mm plus full sussers with slack geometry. Very one dimensional.

At the very least they should have made this a frame test, not a bike test, given all the parts they swapped over. For the Five to win again when they didn't like the stem and bars, found the (cheap) rims too narrow, brakes under par and the seatpost a let down is beyond me, never mind them changing the tyres to something that blatantly will not sit right. And they are NOT no cost to change. It seems average at best from the test with a load of awful reasons to make it win, and tenous ones to make other bikes runners up.

As Northwind points out, some lighter, cheaper and better specced bikes seemed to ride better with less problems. Is about time they realised that this archaic, overpriced and heavy design just isn't the best nowadays and no amount of their personal tweaking to try and make it win is going to pass muster with readers. Ultimate average bike for a lot of money.

Time to start buying a different mag. What a load of crap.
  • Dick Scruttock
    sharpe1814 wrote:
    IIs about time they realised that this archaic, overpriced and heavy design just isn't the best nowadays and no amount of their personal tweaking to try and make it win is going to pass muster with readers. Ultimate average bike for a lot of money.

Don't let the Orange fan boys read that bit! Mind you they are probably still thrashing one out over it winning another MBR test :roll:
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Do you think bookies will accept bets on the 5 winning the MBR trail bike of the year for 2012?
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Dick Scruttock
    dot1 wrote:
    Do you think bookies will accept bets on the 5 winning the MBR trail bike of the year for 2012?

Will still be winning it in 2020 :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    WMB?!

;-)
    What mountain bike? THAT mountain bike.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    How many years on the trot has it won?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    LOL tis a bit silly.. were there any Mondrakers in the test?

I mean how can you access if its the ultimate trail bike if you only use 5 bikes, there are so many bikes out there at the price range :s
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I'd love a Mondraker tbh. Fabien Barel was riding a Foxy RR in the MBUK DVD and it reminded me how much I like them.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd love a Mondraker tbh. Fabien Barel was riding a Foxy RR in the MBUK DVD and it reminded me how much I like them.

Brian lopes rocks an ibis, nuff said. For it to be an ultimate trail bike test, you need the ultimate trail bikes, turner, intense, yeti, ibis, tomac, Santa Cruz and you could get a 5 as well, build them all up with the same/similar kit, then it's purely down to which is the best bike, not who's got the fattest rims for stupid tyres we don't like and bars so wide you look like Youre being crussified. Then it's the ultimate trail bike test, in no way is a £3k bike the ultimate trail bike, not in the current financial climate anyway, I mean slx chainsets on a bike worth 3 grand is just crazy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are many bikes you could consider the 'ultimate' in a line up I suppose.
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    Mbuk's reviews are often crap too.
    Look at this months wheelset article;
    The crossmax are slated for being narrow despite being the same width as the winning EN521. The DMRs are too heavy, while the similarly weighty CRC wheels have no mention of weight. It just comes down to who spends the most on advertising. I'm looking at buying a wheelset at present and found this review no help whatsoever mainly because I don't trust it. Similar to any MBR opinion on bikes really.
  • supersonic
    MBUK and WMB reviews have NOTHING to do with advertising.

I have not seen this wheel test yet: but I can assure you of the above.
  • BlueAdvocate
    BlueAdvocate Posts: 266
    lawman wrote:

Brian lopes rocks an ibis, nuff said. For it to be an ultimate trail bike test, you need the ultimate trail bikes, turner, intense, yeti, ibis, tomac, Santa Cruz and you could get a 5 as well, build them all up with the same/similar kit, then it's purely down to which is the best bike, not who's got the fattest rims for stupid tyres we don't like and bars so wide you look like Youre being crussified. Then it's the ultimate trail bike test, in no way is a £3k bike the ultimate trail bike, not in the current financial climate anyway, I mean slx chainsets on a bike worth 3 grand is just crazy

Just been watching that Fabien Barel DVD and that Mondraker does look good; tried one out when i got my Trek. Still Mojo .... mmmmmm.
    Back to the test as people have said, only 5 bikes ... pointless.
  • supersonic wrote:
    MBUK and WMB reviews have NOTHING to do with advertising.

I have not seen this wheel test yet: but I can assure you of the above.

Yeah if they did... GT would be top of everything, eh supersonic :wink:
  • supersonic
    At the minute, no lol
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:
    I think those Mojo's are shockingly ugly...each to their own

i think youre the one on their own mate :lol:
    Nope i find them ugly too. Something not quite right about them.
  • Typerchris
    Typerchris Posts: 74
    Well I'm obviously going to get shot down here. But after years away from riding (previously rode specialized) i have bought a 2011 five pro standard spec with just a colour change. Now I hadn't read reviews on the bike as was buying a bike for how it felt for me. I test rode several bikes including a top spec specialized enduro and trek remedy and found the five to ride outstandingly. Now I'm not a pro rider or even a advanced rider I would tbh say I'm below average however surely a bike is a personal preference. Now I'm not saying the five is the best bike for everyone but it is for some. Maybe everyone should be knocking mbr for it's review techniques etc not the bike as I said it is a individual choice buying a bike.
  • Anonymous
    Now I'm not saying you're a typical Orange owner. Now I'm not saying you resemble one. Now I'm not saying you don't have a right to your opinion. :lol:
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    so, is the orange five not a good bike?
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    so, is the orange five not a good bike?

Yeah, good point. Is it good...or is it just average, nothing exceptional & over-priced?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Typerchris
    Typerchris Posts: 74
    Is a orange five a good bike? That's like asking the question is this forum full of wa***rs or is it just a few. Everyone has their own opinion. What makes anyone a typical owner. I have 2 Scott bikes in the garage so just because I have just bought a orange that makes me a typical owner? It's a bit like saying everyone who rides a lappiere a total arse. Some people are so thick it's unreal!
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2011
    Typerchris, now I'm not saying it was particularly funny, but maybe you should take a night class in "how to spot a joke".
    Oh, and I'm also not saying that you ARE a typical Orange owner, but, typical Orange owners take themselves far too seriously.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Typerchris wrote:
    Is a orange five a good bike? That's like asking the question is this forum full of wa***rs or is it just a few. Everyone has their own opinion. What makes anyone a typical owner. I have 2 Scott bikes in the garage so just because I have just bought a orange that makes me a typical owner? It's a bit like saying everyone who rides a lappiere a total ars*. Some people are so thick it's unreal!

This may be of interest to you.....

dummy250.jpg
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    typical Orange owners take themselves far too seriously.
    I've got a smiley face sticker on each side of my 5 so that others know I don't take myself too seriously :wink:

(proofs in my sig's 5 pic)
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe