Oh, it's too late for that :D:wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    The only change I have made is now using the back entrance instead of going in the front,

1973_wilfred_brambell_alber.jpg

you dirty old man!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • triggmiester
    triggmiester Posts: 197
    damn it! :oops:
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Clever Pun wrote:
    get down the pub in lycra... that generally feels rather odd before 4 pints anyways

Brother in law snapped his chain (not a euphamism) near a wee rural pub in the hinterlands of the southside (Auldhouse, if anyone's interested), and had forgotten his phone. So the bold boy strides into said pub, and in an "American Werewolf in London" scene loudly asks if he can borrow a mobile to call for backup.

I can only imagine the scene - dropped jaws and stunned silence as a 6' 5" vision in pink Giro lycra strides in the door.......

Made me laugh, anyway :lol:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I work at a sports marketing place so you'd think people would be used to kit - and most of the time, full lycra doesn't raise an eyebrow. But recently I found myself waiting for the lift* by two blokes from my floor :

Bloke A - Your shoes are wierd.
    me - yes, they're so you can clip into pedals
    Bloke A - ah. ok.
    Bloke b (nudging his friend) - You look like a dork. And are wearing lycra *sniggers*.
    me - it's appropriate clothing for the activity. get over it.
    bloke b *sniggers*

*(I know, I know, the irony of getting the lift when you're about to cycle, but 6 floors in bike shoes ain't fun)
    Blimey. These two sound like they are 13 a piece. Watch out if one of them starts punching on the arm a lot. They can send out mixed signals at that age.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Welcome to the Bike Radar Commuting forum. You are no longer a virgin 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Nor are many at the school apparently :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    K_B you are a very naughty man :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cafewanda wrote:
    K_B you are a very naughty man :lol:

Why yes, yes I am.

(I seem to remember this is not the 1st time I have done this...)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • triggmiester
    triggmiester Posts: 197
    ah you know the school then :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    That's one of the joys of middle age - I no longer give a flying fork what anyone thinks and don't take myself too seriously. Wearing baggies over shorts is just silly
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I dont understand the problem? Always commuted in Lycra - a 15mile fast-ish commute in anything else doesnt bear thinking about. Around 20 of my colleagues, male and female, do the same... so much so that we are planning on getting our own company logo'd strip, though someone did point out we might have a problem then in the shower room where everyone hangs their kit up...

(suggestions as to companies that can make custom strip welcome)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I dont understand the problem? Always commuted in Lycra - a 15mile fast-ish commute in anything else doesnt bear thinking about. Around 20 of my colleagues, male and female, do the same... so much so that we are planning on getting our own company logo'd strip, though someone did point out we might have a problem then in the shower room where everyone hangs their kit up...

Hmmm :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I dont understand the problem? Always commuted in Lycra - a 15mile fast-ish commute in anything else doesnt bear thinking about.

I wear baggies over my lycra and it's fine. 15.4 miles, in 50 minutes is about normal.
    I'm "slim" to the point of being very self concious about it (I'm not keen on wearing t shirts with especially short sleeves because it looks like a pipe cleaner in a pint glass :wink:) , and really don't like wearing just lycra. The one time I did, thinking "ah, no-one will see me, what does it matter". I was right. The driver didn't see me, until he hit me, then the big crowd of people did :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I moved to bib shorts because top of baggy shorts kept rolling down and exposing the belly, which is not a good look. Last Thursday I tried baggy short over the big shorts for the first time. This made the problem worse and baggies kept sliding down as lycra was smooth. This morning I though WTF and just MTFU and didn't bother with the baggies. Got some strange looks in cafe up the road but I really don't care. :oops:
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • optimisticbiker
    will3 wrote:

Hmmm :lol:
    Dont' go there....

many have tried and failed... :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dhope wrote:

Nor are many at the school apparently :shock:

No one notices if you use the back gate apparently
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • chrisbr
    chrisbr Posts: 12
    I have cycle commuted to Waterloo station London for the last eight years.
    Last 5 in full lycra.. and like an earlier post I forced out my lycra man and became MAMIL

Middle Aged Man In Lycra

I like to but am occassionally self conscious when the ladies look you up and down.. then I think... mmmmm mmmm
    Must be looking good :)

Go commando too, pointess wearing anything under lycra kit except a baselayer top.

If you see a man in lycra at Waterloo then think on and be kind, I really enjoy my food some days and it give you that pot belly look that is impossible to hide.
    When is the baby due?
    Not soon enough..... is my reply
    Chris
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Forget lycra for cycling, lycra everyday underwear is were its at!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Walking back to where I locked the bike up for the journey home felt very odd :oops: . Once on the bike no problem....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I suggest wearing full lycra for the whole of the weekend in an effort to desensitize yourself.
  • optimisticbiker
    Sketchley wrote:
    I moved to bib shorts because top of baggy shorts kept rolling down and exposing the belly, which is not a good look. Last Thursday I tried baggy short over the big shorts for the first time. This made the problem worse and baggies kept sliding down as lycra was smooth. This morning I though WTF and just MTFU and didn't bother with the baggies. Got some strange looks in cafe up the road but I really don't care. :oops:
    Yet to try bib shorts... but I have some gore mtb shorts that have the lycra inners and cotton-like outers and they are held together with loops on the inner and popper straps on the outer...stops them parting company at inopportune moment. I used to wear the inners on their own in summer, but dont wear them very often now as prefer my gore bike shorts and 3/4 length - slightly heaver fabric that clings better :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I can't commute in on my bike till next tuesday now as I am somewhere I can't store my bike at, I admit I normally wear tight fitting over shorts normally and on test rides into work on days off I have done it all in lycra,

I am being swayed towards doing it on proper commutes now. Ohh and yes I did fel faster, probably less constriction around the top of my thighs.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wear bibs most days with a pear of tight shorts over the top. Hold the iPhone and don't feel so daft down the pub ;)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's one of the joys of middle age - I no longer give a flying fork what anyone thinks and don't take myself too seriously. Wearing baggies over shorts is just silly

This.

The fact that I look as close to perfect in lycra as it's possible to get is just a happy coincidence.*

*this may not be true.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I'm a confirmed lyrca wearer, I do look a little odd making the tea in my safety boots and lyrca shorts before I get changed.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nik Cube wrote:
    I'm a confirmed lyrca wearer, I do look a little odd making the tea in my safety boots and lyrca shorts before I get changed.

Pics or it didn't happen.

In fact this thread is useless without pics ;-)

@op its a slippery slope my friend before you know it you'll be looking at those hairs protruding from you lycra and think to yourself

"hmmm I'd look much better without those"
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SEone
    SEone Posts: 6
    I tend to wear lycra under my baggies for longer rides at the weekends.

On my pitiful 4.1 mile commute it hardly seems worth it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:
    @op its a slippery slope my friend before you know it you'll be looking at those hairs protruding from you lycra and think to yourself

"hmmm I'd look much better without those"

Uh oh, I noticed the hairs but hadn't thought anything of it.
    Yet
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo