First Full Lycra commute

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Well I finally plucked up enough self confidence to commute in full Lycra this morning. So armed with a pair red DHB bib shorts and a Foska Harlequins road jersey I set off this morning. I doubt very much it looked pretty to anyone following, but it was very comfy and some how felt quicker. I think I maybe a convert.....

Think I'm now FCN 6 though!
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Red shorts are always a good look :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    and I bet you felt like you'd not got dressed :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it's when you get to the office it feels wierd

I'm not comfortable enough to sit at my desk for a bit (if not dripping with sweat) and start 'work'
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Yeah, accompanied by a bike it's fine, but the other day I walked to Evans from the office in full lycra to pick the new bike up and felt distinctly overexposed!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i'm a recent convert, just with shorts though and i wear boxers underneath, i feel too vulnerable to go commando
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i'm a recent convert, just with shorts though and i wear boxers underneath, i feel too vulnerable to go commando

Boxers underneath lycra???

You must look like the Elephant cyclist :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Sketchley wrote:
    Well I finally plucked up enough self confidence to commute in full Lycra this morning. So armed with a pair red DHB bib shorts and a Foska Harlequins road jersey I set off this morning. I doubt very much it looked pretty to anyone following, but it was very comfy and some how felt quicker. I think I maybe a convert.....

You are a braver man than me! :D
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Does feel very odd! I've not had the courage to commute to the office in just lycra yet but I have ridden to the velodrome and it does feel faster - no doubt about it.

Felt really weird going into the ASDA round the corner in Newport to pick up some water and bananas for the session though! I now have an appreciation of how ladies feel when men talk to their chest!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Still baggies over Lycra for the commute, though I'm taking the big glass lift rather than the stairs at the side of the building now so clearly I'm getting there :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Sketchley wrote:

You are a braver man than me! :D

Scalpable too :D mwahahahaha
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    edited May 2011
    mudcow007 wrote:

kinda defeats the point though.

I have to say don't bother with the SS even up to 40 or so miles, it's fine with out lycra, clearly I do when "serious" biking such as 20 mile MTB ride with 3000ft of climbing.

But for out and about in london it's a bit over the top. at least for myself any how.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    get down the pub in lycra... that generally feels rather odd before 4 pints anyways
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mudcow007

You must look like the Elephant cyclist :shock:

only because i have a trunk tucked down the front "boom boom"

surely when lycra is tight is goes seethru?!

plus im not an exhibitionist
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    mudcow007 wrote:

No.

Just No.

I think the best way to overcome the embarrassment thing is to jump right in. Force your (lycra clad) self to walk into an unfamiliar pub and order a drink while you wait for a friend. Once you've done that a few times, the rest is easy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    I had to lock the bike up away from the office as well, as the garage door is bust. The short walk from the bike stand to the office was the worse bit :oops:. I did find myself showering straight away rather than sitting at my desk for while first, as that way I could come in the front door and head directly to shower so no work colleagues saw me. And yes for parts of the ride I did feel a tad under dressed. Commando is the only way to go it wouldn't be anywhere near as comfy with boxers on.....
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Eventually, you stop caring what other people think about what you're wearing when cycling. :) I remember being self-conscious at first too. Took me a while to lose the overshorts....
  • kelsen
    rjsterry wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

No.

Just No.

I think the best way to overcome the embarrassment thing is to jump right in. Force your (lycra clad) self to walk into an unfamiliar pub and order a drink while you wait for a friend. Once you've done that a few times, the rest is easy.

Though maybe checking first that the bar doesn't cater mainly to a select clientele...
  • mudcow007
    right i might go commando on the way home.....i did a 25miler on the weekend an wasn't uncomfortable or anything, i will see how tonight goes
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Blimey it's like being in a room full of women here. Does my bum look big in this? Oooh do you think I dare show that much...? Etc.

What's that phrase? Oh yeah - MTFU. It's just clothing.

Sheesh.

:wink:
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I can't remember the last time I commuted in anything other than full lycra. I think I look fine, if someone thinks I don't...then don't look.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I work in the most hostile environment possible for the lycra clad cyclist......a secondary school in Essex. If I leave early and the kids are still about I tend to sprint like im in the Tour de France and hope none of them get their mobiles out in time to get a picture of me! Its bad enough that they call my bike a 'Grandad bike' because its not a BMX and has a brooks saddle.

Nothing will stop me wearing my lycra, I love it.
  • kelsen
    CiB wrote:
    Blimey it's like being in a room full of women here. Does my bum look big in this? Oooh do you think I dare show that much...? Etc.

Sheesh.

Ok, it's been a while since anyone's posted it. I think it's time to dig it up again...

Fat+Guy+In+Spandex.jpg
  • mudcow007
    the state of him, i mean really, a red hat with pink jersey and shorts?!

does he have no idea of colour co-ordination!!?

yikes
  • Kieran_Burns
    I will freely admit that I walk through the open plan office to get the shower every time I cycle in.

It's always accompanied by screams from the guys I work with (always... :roll: ) but I don't care and I've had more than one wolf whistle (yes really) from the women down the other end of the open... plan... office... :shock: :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I lock up the bike in 1 building and then walk ~3 mins to another in lycra. I get lots of looks. The only ones I notice are the women that look at me, look down, then back up and smile. Which I take as a compliment, the alternative is that they're mocking me, which I refuse to believe. Tell me, would it be wrong to "fluff" myself before leaving the bike park to see if the smiles get bigger? A la Linfords Lunchbox fame
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    CiB wrote:

Sheesh.

true that
  • triggmiester
    triggmiester Posts: 197
    edited May 2011
    i took the plunge with full lycra after february half term, until then I had baggies over the top.

I felt very exposed and uneasy, but a few rides later it's all good.

I too work in a school, in the mornings I am there about 7:30 before the kids get in, but when I leave early on a Friday @ 3:30, I stop for no man getting out of the gate ASAP.

I think what makes it worse for me is it's a girls school.
    The only change I have made is now using the back entrance to school
  • Kieran_Burns
    i took the plunge with full lycra after february half term, until then I had baggies over the top.

I felt very exposed and uneasy, but a few rides later it's all good.

I too work in a school, in the mornings I am there about 7:30 before the kids get in, but when I leave early on a Friday @ 3:30, I stop for no man getting out of the gate ASAP.

I think what makes it worse for me is it's a girls school.
    The only change I have made is now using the back entrance instead of going in the front, so I don't get all the standard "wah-heys" from people :shock:

Quoting for posterity when TM realises what he typed in that last paragraph :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sketchley
    :lol::lol::lol:
    --
    Chris

• londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I work at a sports marketing place so you'd think people would be used to kit - and most of the time, full lycra doesn't raise an eyebrow. But recently I found myself waiting for the lift* by two blokes from my floor :

Bloke A - Your shoes are wierd.
    me - yes, they're so you can clip into pedals
    Bloke A - ah. ok.
    Bloke b (nudging his friend) - You look like a dork. And are wearing lycra *sniggers*.
    me - it's appropriate clothing for the activity. get over it.
    bloke b *sniggers*

*(I know, I know, the irony of getting the lift when you're about to cycle, but 6 floors in bike shoes ain't fun)