hand washing clothes?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just wondering how long it'd take to handwash clothes like cycling clothes? If I move into student accommodation again it's got laundary so £1.50 per wash and I wash like 8 times a week so ain't pay that 8 times a week so wondering if it's not too much hassle if I was washing clothes by hand 4 times a week?

Comments

• richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    5 minutes - just need somewhere to soak 'em in washing powder, leave them for 5-10 minutes, do something else, come back, rinse (well) and wring, then find somewhere warmish to hang. Make sure they can drip dry too.

Mine are usually sorted by morning when I do this.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Isn't eight loads of washing a week a little excessive for a single student living alone in halls?

Why not wait untill you can fill the drum?
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Why would you wash by machine 8 times a week but by hand only 4 times? You can fit quite a lot in a laundrette washing machine drum.

I do sometimes wonder how students manage to dress them selves in the morning...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    On cycle tours the usual way of washing cycling gear is to take it into the shower with you and swish it around.
    Dry them by rolling in a towel.
  • Even if you ride once a day and wear new kit each day that's 7 days in a week so 7 sets, how the hell do you get 8 loads per week?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    One set of cycling gear, used every day and washed every day. The eight wash for all his other clothes (whites I assume as clothes used for the 7th ride can go in with the dark wash.)

Don't worry Will, I'll stick up for ya :wink:

christ, I didn't realise I was this domesticated !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Someone trained you to be a good little house bitch I see. ;)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Cycling kit (dark), jeans etc on a 30 deg wash. Cottons (whites and light colours 40 deg wash), light coloured cycle kit on a 30/40 deg wash. You are a student, you can't have that much stuff (unless you are a girl). Which student accom. are you moving into
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    Someone trained you to be a good little house ***** I see. ;)
    Just 'cause I know what to do, doesn't mean I always do it.

There are exceptions of course !!
    :twisted:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    A set of cycling kit plus a days clothes won't fill the machine. Share the wash/cost with other students. Just don't get your bibshorts mixed up with a basque.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Just buy more cycling clothes FFS - stop being a gypsy :P
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Will.

Do the maths.

If you are washing the same gear every day, then that 10.50 a week. or about £300 a student year. £300 should easily buy you more cycling gear and save you money in the long run.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    freehub wrote:
    If I move into student accommodation again it's got laundary so £1.50 per wash and I wash like 8 times a week so ain't pay that 8 times a week

On rereading this I'm confused.

Do you put yourself in the machine?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Total fail. Just do what everyone else does, bag it up take it "home" plead poverty, return to halls with washing all done.

Easy really.

Love n hugs

DD

either that or hand wash, wring and dry flat, or find a biatch to do it for you.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I made sure I had enough clothes to get through at least 2 weeks. The Uni laundry machines were enormous and held a vast amount of clothes.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Hand wash your cycling kit after every use then you shouldn't really need to wash you normal clothes more than once a week so when they go in throw in your cycling gear for a good wash then.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Is this the cheap meat/Lucozade/appalling grammar dude again? Sheeeesh, does it never stop?

When I was at University I took enough clothes to last a good couple of weeks - wear them, throw them in the dirty washing holdall. When you run out, go through the holdall for the marginally less manky stuff, wear it again. So long as it doesn't pen too badly, no one really notices.

Once a month you take it all to Pauline at the local launderette and pay a tenner or so for a service wash - you get a cup of tea and a biccy from her out of it for being nice and some clean clothes.

Otherwise do as DD says - I was a foreign student (ie lived in a different country from my University) so unfortunately the returning home with dirty laundry option didn't exist - I do know lots of people who did it though.
  • DIESELDOG wrote:

find a biatch to do it for you.
    [Pokemon]

"I choose you DIESELDOG!!!"

[/Pokemon]
  • MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:

find a biatch to do it for you.
    [Pokemon]

"I choose you DIESELDOG!!!"

[/Pokemon]
    I forsee a touch of DD voilence coming your way :shock: :D
  • I guess that would be worrying set of circumstances if I was actually afraid of her, I'm not though so it should prove entertaining! 8)
  • DIESELDOG
    I guess that would be worrying set of circumstances if I was actually afraid of her, I'm not though so it should prove entertaining! 8)

You don't actually know me though do you?

Or do you :wink:

Matt, I'm not usually violent, although I have been know to make exceptions...

Love n hugs

DD

• El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Yossie wrote:
    Is this the cheap meat/Lucozade/appalling grammar dude again? Sheeeesh, does it never stop?

It's only a matter of time until we get treated to the 'How do I wipe my own ar$e?" thread.

Jeez man, it's just washing. Buy a few more clothes and wash a bit less often.
  • DIESELDOG
    El Gordo wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

It's only a matter of time until we get treated to the 'How do I wipe my own ar$e?" thread.

Jeez man, it's just washing. Buy a few more clothes and wash a bit less often.

Ah, now, are you talking about using several sheets or just Juan Sheeeet?

If just Juan do you fold it into a little square and tear a corner off?

Love n hugs

DD

• MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    I guess that would be worrying set of circumstances if I was actually afraid of her, I'm not though so it should prove entertaining! 8)

Love n hugs

DD
    And it's these that intrigue me :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Try this stuff, I use it all the time now for hand washing and machine, the good thing is that it really does get rid of the sweat smells, as I don't like using conditioner with Lycra: -

http://www.bournesports.com/halo-proact ... -wash.html
  • DIESELDOG
    Matt, I am an international person of mystery, you know that.

Love n hugs

DD

• MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Matt, I am an international person of mystery, you know that.

Love n hugs

DD
    That's shag-a-delic baby !!!
    I do hope that the Austin Powers reference wasn't lost !
  • MattC59 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

You have to pay extra for those "sessions" and it's not her that ends up tied too the bed. ;)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I never wash cycle kit with normal gear - ruins it.

Always use a wash bag, and pure soap. Low temp, and a very slow spin.

Never add conditioner!
  • DIESELDOG
    MattC59 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

You have to pay extra for those "sessions" and it's not her that ends up tied too the bed. ;)

Hmmm, like I said, you don't actually know me though so it could be either me or someone else. :wink:

At this rate anyone would be good...

Love n hugs

DD