SCR makes it mainstream....

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    since when do you add points up btw? each person is a mini race with no score. either you win or lose.

points?!

gah.

Actually in the early days of the thread as the game was developed before our very eyes...people were posting their total points for the day's commute. I recall Greg T and Snooks trying to outdo each other.

Then it got a lot more high brow and existential.

Oh wait....

Yep, back in the day the OGs would add their food chain numbers up to determine who was the most bowdy.

Then we got all liberal and started accepting hybrids and fakengers as equals... dark times from there onwards... :cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You can't be a true player until you give up your anonymity and have the balls to say, "I am W1. Come and have a go, if you think you're fast enough!" Until that point, you're just here-say and rumour.

^^ Yeah ^^

You need to feel the fear like when someone shouts (IRL)

"Oi are you DDD!!!"

and your immediate reaction is

"Sh!t better ride like the clappers, I'm gonna get beaten up for something I said on the Internet..."

Only then can you be accepted as a true player.

Has that actually happened to you? I mean someone shouting "are you DDD?"?

A few times now, yes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You know I think the SCR OGs should be getting referenced/credited - with Chris LS mounted upon high - for giving 'real' life to this cultural movement.

Next i'm going to see W1, Porgy or someone from Cakestop getting interviewed on the BBC claiming to be the quintessential SCR player.

That's going to IRK me.

Why am I not deemed to be an SCR player?

You can't be a true player until you give up your anonymity and have the balls to say, "I am W1. Come and have a go, if you think you're fast enough!" Until that point, you're just here-say and rumour.

So much for the game being underground! I prefer to engage without being "known" and let my pedalling do the talking.....
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ^^ Yeah ^^

"Oi are you DDD!!!"

"Sh!t better ride like the clappers, I'm gonna get beaten up for something I said on the Internet..."

I seem to recall politely saying 'You must be Don' :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ^^ Yeah ^^

"Oi are you DDD!!!"

Please tell me you did this while passing at 30mph+ and showing no noticeable signs of effort.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ^^ Yeah ^^

"Oi are you DDD!!!"

I always get a little scared when people do that, but you were cool and fast, I saw you catching me heading towards Stockwell tube. I didn't have it in the legs to but up that much resistance.
    Food Chain number = 4

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    since when do you add points up btw? each person is a mini race with no score. either you win or lose.

points?!

gah.

Actually in the early days of the thread as the game was developed before our very eyes...people were posting their total points for the day's commute. I recall Greg T and Snooks trying to outdo each other.

Then it got a lot more high brow and existential.

Oh wait....

That was technically before the game, that isn't real or a game, was (not) established, and I started loosing count so.

On my commute, counting was superseded by riding balls out all the time

I now ride to beat everyone, it far simpler and I'm not great with numbers :twisted:

I'm at risk of loosing count how many bikes I have, and if a bike has to be working or if all the parts to a bike are in one box, is it a bike? A bit deep for this time of the evening but something to contemplate on the way home as I go Scalping the East tonight
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Huh, my initials are OG...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

LiT is OG? Does not compute (unless she also drives a '69 Chevy). LiT's theme tune?

I never keep count, I'm too busy passing everyone. I see myself as high enough up the food chain that I have a target painted on my back and have to ride like the clappers to both pass everyone I see and to avoid anyone passing me.

I'm not sure if the bit about not wearing lycra or riding a racing bike was a quote from Rob, but if t was, were his eyes closed at the Morpeth? Most of us were in lycra, most of us were on 'racing bikes' and most of the bikes were way less than 20 years old. LiT and I easily had the oldest bikes there, I believe LiT's bike is older than her.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

LiT is OG? Does not compute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12655848

MrsG
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

LiT is OG? Does not compute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12655848

MrsG

I know, but when I think OG, I more likely to think Omar_Wire.jpg than posh_woman.jpg

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I think Mark is in from the Road Forums....

As you said, proper cyclists don't get involved as they know there are rules to riding around other people. If you ride in a race or with a club you follow the rules of riding in a pack and things get very unpleasant if you don't. I have chubby mountain bikers and fold-ups sitting inches off my back wheel when I'm doing 20mph+ and they haven't got a clue. Just relax people and enjoy your journey rather than acting like 7yr olds.

- Mark, London, 16/05/2011 19:03

Snob :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Well, if the Standard's picked it up as, and I quote "the latest two-wheeled craze to hit the capital" it''s doomed.

It's like having your granny say she likes yo gansta rap.

Eh, what's doomed?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Come on! How old are you guys? There is only one OG.

51ux-WlCOwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

As you said, proper cyclists don't get involved as they know there are rules to riding around other people. If you ride in a race or with a club you follow the rules of riding in a pack and things get very unpleasant if you don't. I have chubby mountain bikers and fold-ups sitting inches off my back wheel when I'm doing 20mph+ and they haven't got a clue. Just relax people and enjoy your journey rather than acting like 7yr olds.

Absolute and total utter liar too.
  • brucebanner
    brucebanner Posts: 256
    Does anyone commute via Mile End road to the City?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    prj45 wrote:

Absolute and total utter liar too.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

If Mark has got chubby mountain bikers inches off his back wheel then he needs to MTFU and ride faster - God forbid we should upset 'proper' cyclists
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited May 2011

If Mark has got chubby mountain bikers inches off his back wheel then he needs to MTFU and ride faster - God forbid we should upset 'proper' cyclists

Wasn't JZed was on his mtb today?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1. MTFU Mark you big wuss!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • snooks
    Does anyone commute via Mile End road to the City?

Yup, I do Stratford to Southwark. Not much action in the East but it does happen occasionally

Ps Mark really should MTFU and loose the chip
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I scalped Mark on my Brompton this morning. Shaven legged girly wussboy was my impression.
    :D

I actually turned down a scalp this morning, lovely young lady on racer wearing very thin cotton leggings. Can't think why I didn't feel the need to overtake
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    t4tomo wrote:
    I actually turned down a scalp this morning, lovely young lady on racer wearing very thin cotton leggings. Can't think why I didn't feel the need to overtake

Because its hard to control your bike when you're rubbing your thighs and dribbling?

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Because its hard to control your bike when you're rubbing your thighs and dribbling?

Was that significant "spillage" on the Dolan Death Bridge you then?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    t4tomo wrote:

Chivalry :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    cjcp wrote:
    Lechery :wink:

FTFY :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

sounds like a man who's been done by a Brompton
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    This guy ticks so many boxes its almost like he's trolling:
    They should make bikes have registration plates. Maybe then they wouldn't overtake each other without looking, run red lights or mount the pavement whenever it suits them. Anyone playing this game deserves to die!!!

- bulldog, Holloway, 17/05/2011 12:48

I guess he's never read the rules. Look on the bright side, he'll probably die before any of us from a heart attack.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I guess he's never read the rules. Look on the bright side, he'll probably die before any of us from a heart attack.

Or D-Lock Justice™
  • Citizen Smith
    Citizen Smith Posts: 336
    snooks wrote:
    That was technically before the game, that isn't real or a game, was (not) established, and I started loosing count so.

On my commute, counting was superseded by riding balls out all the time

I now ride to beat everyone, it far simpler and I'm not great with numbers :twisted:

Agreed, the commute becomes one long interval sprint before the next commute.

Evidently, you hide to the best of one's ability that you are close to blowing a gasket.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor