SCR makes it mainstream....

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's supposed to be a secret society, damnit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

What is?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I don't think anyone who does it takes it all seriously

Oh really? :twisted:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

What is?

Correct.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Just wait for the comments to appear they are going to love this! Won't be long before someone mentions RJLing, Pavement Cycling, Helmets, Licensing and Insurance. Have I missed anything add to this the perception of racing and all hell is going to break loose?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sketchley wrote:
    Just wait for the comments to appear they are going to love this! Won't be long before someone mentions RJLing, Pavement Cycling, Helmets, Licensing and Insurance. Have I missed anything add to this the perception of racing and all hell is going to break loose?

You forgot 'lycra louts' and 'road tax'.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "The key is that this is for commuters, not serious cyclists,"

so that is not most of you lot then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sketchley
    Doh!
    --
    Chris

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Sketchley wrote:

+1

Would have been far happier had more emphasis been placed on the 'safety' side of it, which is heavily emphasised within the Rules, but perhaps not so newsworthy.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Another "journalist" stuck for a story.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Loving this quote from Rob Spedding:

"It's always been for people who don't class themselves as cyclists, and who just ride a bike to work.

They don't have racing bikes but a mountain bike, a folding bike or something they've had in their shed for 20 years. It's racing without the Lycra."

Quality!

:lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    BigMat wrote:

"It's always been for people who don't class themselves as cyclists, and who just ride a bike to work.

They don't have racing bikes but a mountain bike, a folding bike or something they've had in their shed for 20 years. It's racing without the Lycra."

Quality!

Yeah - I f*cking hate cycling......And I am not still in my lycra....

:-)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BigMat wrote:

Quality!

:lol: Yep, loved that. He can't really say, though, "These guys are serious. They will rip your still-beating heart from your chest if you try to pass them."
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I can't believe the chap is going along adding up points. I'm more primative 'scalp won' 'scalp lost'. Bonus points? I just have 'Extra juicy scalp - long term target finally toppled'
  • sketchley
    ok who's the smart arse in the comments section?
    --
    Chris

• bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Sketchley wrote:
    ok who's the smart ars* in the comments section?

Sorry couldn't resist.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You know I think the SCR OGs should be getting referenced/credited - with Chris LS mounted upon high - for giving 'real' life to this cultural movement.

Next i'm going to see W1, Porgy or someone from Cakestop getting interviewed on the BBC claiming to be the quintessential SCR player.

That's going to IRK me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...a spokesman for ChrisLS said, "...the founder issued the following statement: what Game?" :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Reads like a Bikeradar advertorial to me.

"It's always been for people who don't class themselves as cyclists, and who just ride a bike to work."

A journalist calling it wrong, whatever next? (even though it's his own employer's website called Bikeradar and all about cycling). Must Slow news day in Science and Technology...

From what I've read SCR is hardly an "underground sport" or "secret society". It looks to me like a preoccupation/form of entertainment during the ride and a something to chat about online. A 'game', you might say.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    There is no Game, never has been a Game, never will be a Game - jounalists huh? always smoking something :wink:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You know I think the SCR OGs should be getting referenced/credited - with Chris LS mounted upon high - for giving 'real' life to this cultural movement.

Next i'm going to see W1, Porgy or someone from Cakestop getting interviewed on the BBC claiming to be the quintessential SCR player.

That's going to IRK me.

Why am I not deemed to be an SCR player?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    since when do you add points up btw? each person is a mini race with no score. either you win or lose.

points?!

gah.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Never think about points - if the rider looks faster than me I have a go - mind you most of them do :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    So then - this unspoken game, the game that no-one speaks of but has its own website, a 4 million page thread, TwitterMyFaceSpaceBook presence, newspaper articles devoted to it; how do we find out how to play it?

Wish I had some bloody opposition other than chasing down tractors and being Cav for 10 seconds past the school bus stop occasionally. :wink:
  • sketchley
    CiB wrote:
    So then - this unspoken game, the game that no-one speaks of but has its own website, a 4 million page thread, TwitterMyFaceSpaceBook presence, newspaper articles devoted to it, how do we find out how to play it?

Wish I had some bloody opposition other than chasing down tractors and being Cav for 10 seconds past the school bus stop occasionally. :wink:

What game?
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That's going to IRK me.

SILENCE before your Foodchain better!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That's going to IRK me.

You can't be a true player until you give up your anonymity and have the balls to say, "I am W1. Come and have a go, if you think you're fast enough!" Until that point, you're just here-say and rumour.
  • Citizen Smith
    Citizen Smith Posts: 336
    since when do you add points up btw? each person is a mini race with no score. either you win or lose.

points?!

gah.

Actually in the early days of the thread as the game was developed before our very eyes...people were posting their total points for the day's commute. I recall Greg T and Snooks trying to outdo each other.

Then it got a lot more high brow and existential.

Oh wait....
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • DonDaddyD
    You can't be a true player until you give up your anonymity and have the balls to say, "I am W1. Come and have a go, if you think you're fast enough!" Until that point, you're just here-say and rumour.

^^ Yeah ^^

You need to feel the fear like when someone shouts (IRL)

"Oi are you DDD!!!"

and your immediate reaction is

"Sh!t better ride like the clappers, I'm gonna get beaten up for something I said on the Internet..."

Only then can you be accepted as a true player.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:

^^ Yeah ^^

You need to feel the fear like when someone shouts (IRL)

"Oi are you DDD!!!"

and your immediate reaction is

"Sh!t better ride like the clappers, I'm gonna get beaten up for something I said on the Internet..."

Only then can you be accepted as a true player.

Has that actually happened to you? I mean someone shouting "are you DDD?"?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.