1235»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A bad day for Richard Porte - finished with the sprinters group +18.49
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Damn hard one. Porte crashed on the gravel so maybe it was a bad one. Rujano....

Stage 5 results
    1 Pieter Weening (Rabobank) 4:54:49
    2 Fabio Duarte (Geox-TMC) + 0:08
    3 José Serpa (Androni)
    4 Christophe Le Mevel (Garmin-Cervélo)
    5 Oscar Gatto (Farnese Vini)
    6 Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Cannondale)
    7 Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-SunGard)
    8 Michele Scarponi (Lampre-ISD)
    9 Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha)
    10 Roman Kreuziger (Astana)

General classification after Stage 5
    1 Pieter Weening (Rabobank)
    2 Marco Pinotti (HTC-Highroad) + 0:02
    3 Kanstantin Siutsou (HTC-Highroad)
    4 Christophe Le Mevel (Garmin-Cervélo) + 0:05
    5 Pablo Lastras (Movistar Team) + 0:22
    6 Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Cannondale) + 0:24
    7 Michele Scarponi (Lampre-ISD) + 0:26
    8 Steven Kruijswijk (Rabobank) + 0:28
    9 Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-SunGard) + 0:30
    10 José Serpa (Androni-Giocattoli) + 0:39
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Two points on the above.

What was Millar doing for the crash? To side swipe someone from the back would appear to be pretty stupid.

Where was the Garmin team at the end? You would think the team would rally to pull the pink jersey to the finish. Team of individuals?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Only one Garmin finished ahead of Millar and that was their longer-term GC guy Le Mevel
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    daviesee wrote:
    What was Millar doing for the crash? To side swipe someone from the back would appear to be pretty stupid.
    Chasing bonus seconds at the intermediate sprint.
  • derbygrimpeur
    derbygrimpeur Posts: 822
    any news on slagter?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    any news on slagter?

Broken jaw, scan rules out a brain injury. So bad, but not really bad.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Nice ride by Kennaugh today.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    wicked wrote:
    Nice ride by Kennaugh today.

yeah +1
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I'm going to have French Fighter moment and complain about riders doing nothing to try to win and then outsprinting those who did give it a go for the minor places (including, ironically, the True Champion himself).
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Loved that inner ring tweet about the irony of Di Luca complaining about dirt in a bike race!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Martin Kohler deserves credit for that effort he put in managing to stay out all that time, great ride from him.
    Kohler later said he didn't intend to do a solo, he'd hoped someone would join him. Just nobody did.
    He also said that for the first 80-90 km his lead increased without him pushing it, and he only decided to make a definite effort after the feed (93 km) when he realised if he stayed out front, he could collect the mountain points and thus possibly take the jersey (which in the end, he did).
  • daviesee
    JonGinge wrote:
    Only one Garmin finished ahead of Millar and that was their longer-term GC guy Le Mevel

So they were strung out and that explains why they were hard to spot on a minimised screen at work :oops:
    Still seems like a bad team effort given I thought (wrongly?) that they could have regrouped between the Strade Blanco and the climb but it explains Millar's position.
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    Chasing bonus seconds at the intermediate sprint.

That explains him racing hard but running into the back of a guy in front negates any bonuses. You could argue about the lines taken but he should have been able to avoid the situation and aches & pains possibly took their toll later.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Great to see Weening finally do sometihng to match the potential he once had after his one off Tour win.

I tend to think with that guy it's more mental than physical.

Was always very powerful.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Slagter has a broken collarbone, concussion (well, literally "brainshaking" which I guess is the same) and a bit of gravel in the face.

A nasty one.
  • frenchfighter
    Millar's sister :lol:

tumblr_ll19axJAme1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2011
    Haha, come on Contador! That's not the attitude we are after...

“There’s no way this is worth it,” he said in reference to the dangerous sections of dirt road included in the route. “We’re risking crashes with consequences that could be quite serious, plus the outcome of the race could end up a little skewed. I'm dedicated to cycling, not to cyclocross. I hope they don’t put in things like this again.”

In spite of that, Alberto was happy with the results of the stage. “I got through the day without problems and I’m already thinking about recovering for tomorrow,” said the leader of Saxo Bank-SunGard. “Nibali attacked on the first section of dirt, but he did it on the descent and I was determined to take no risks whatsoever. Then we caught him quickly and I felt pretty good.”

On the final climb, Alberto said that he had ridden simply “to keep from losing a second. I went to the front of the group, which is not the best position, but I had everything more or less under control. We got through the day without problems.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Some serious gearing :shock:

What happens when it actually gets steep...

29.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Crashes. Anyone know if the Rabo rider at 4mins is ok?

Broken jaw, fractured eye socket and facial lacerations.

Luuc Eisinga on Twitter: "TJ Slagter had a good night, no further complications, transport to the Netherlands expected in the next days."

Scary moment when it happened, though.
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks.

“I always get this allergy problem in this part of Italy, I don’t know what it is – I have had to stop Tirreno Adriatico five times when I have been here. It must be some tree pollen or something, but we are not here for long. I should be better again once we get out of here.”

-Millar
    Contador is the Greatest
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Some serious gearing :shock:

What happens when it actually gets steep...

29.jpg

He is using 52-42 O.symetric rings. The largest sprocket is a 36.