Giro Stage 4 *SPOILER* Quarto Dei Mille - Livonro

cornoyemade
cornoyemade Posts: 180
edited May 2011 in Pro race
David Millar: “I will wear the pink jersey tomorrow, but it will be in memory of Wouter, there is no celebration or glory, only sadness. I will discuss with Tyler [Farrar], Leopard and the family of Wouter what we as a peloton will do tomorrow.”

“The next few days are going to be very difficult for us as racing cyclists, but for Tyler, and the friends and family of Wouter it is going to be a lifetime of loss.

* It is unclear as to whether the Leopard Trek team will retire from the race or continue. However, it is understood that the peloton will mark the sad loss of such a young, talented and well-liked rider tomorrow.

I hope to see the remaining Leopard Trek team cross the line as a group ahead of the peloton. Such a tragedy!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Leopard - Trek will continue racing in the Giro.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... lijft_giro
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Robbie hunter just tweeted they will just be riding through todays stage, no racing
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Neutralised and the Leopard riders, along with the race leaders, will lead the race home.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Is the stage shortened or are they riding the full 216km?
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Is the stage shortened or are they riding the full 216km?
    looks like they will ride the full distance
    ' every team 10km to lead the bunch.'

http://now.rabosport.nl/user/Stefclemen ... 2793600000
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    lucybears wrote:
    looks like they will ride the full distance
    ' every team 10km to lead the bunch.'

That's brought a lump to my throat. Very appropriate - I'll have to see if I can download the footage later.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Video of today's start from gazzetta website:
    http://video.gazzetta.it/silenzio-prima ... ce87d2800a
    That'll bring a lump to your throat too.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-giro_20 ... 15157.html

French site says Farrar might not start but I can't really see that given the whole peloton has agreed to pay tribute in this way.

Anyone heard anything?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    French site says Farrar might not start but I can't really see that given the whole peloton has agreed to pay tribute in this way.

Anyone heard anything?
    Their source is http://twitter.com/gregorbrown where it says that Millar said he won't start tomorrow. So he'll pay tribute today with the other riders and then stop.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    David Millar said that he thought Farrar would ride today out of respect for his friend then probably go home tonight. Undertandable really.

I don't recall Casartelli's accident, bit before my time, but I'm kind of keen to watch today's stage, out of my own respect for the Wouter, the sport and the peloton.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Excuse my ignorance but why would Farrar be pulling out?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    They were best friends
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Excuse my ignorance but why would Farrar be pulling out?

They were best friends apparently. Someone described Wouter as Tyler's "European brother" - not sure of their history and why they were so close though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:
    They were best friends apparently. Someone described Wouter as Tyler's "European brother" - not sure of their history and why they were so close though.

Tyler lived in Ghent when he first moved to Europe and got to know Wouter really well.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Just noticed today's route partly covers the last part of yesterday's route in reverse, riding past the foot of the Passo del Bocco descent they did yesterday - must be awful to ride past there for the riders
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Hits home when it makes you wonder how many people are looking forward to watching the gravel mountain decents coming up in the Giro.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    FJS wrote:
    Just noticed today's route partly covers the last part of yesterday's route in reverse, riding past the foot of the Passo del Bocco descent they did yesterday - must be awful to ride past there for the riders

One of the reasons I love cycling is the respect I have for the riders. I don't know how they all, and in particular the ones who knew Wouter well, have the courage to continue in the race.

I know the riders get tarred with the same brush when one is caught doping but the way they handle them selves in general and the respect they have to the sport is admirable.

My other love is football and I feel like I am going through a divorce there. The way the participants of both sports handle themselves couldn't be more different, particually at the top level.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    And as if yesterday's events in the Giro weren't enough, as extra reminder of the dangers of the sport, and coming awfully close for all who race, at whatever level:
    23 year old Flemish Continental Pro Matthias van Mechelen crashed yesterday in a kermesse in Kapellen, fractured his skull. He has only this morning regained consciousness in hospital. Fingers double crossed he keeps recovering well.
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... enner_coma
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... len_update
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Farrar's starting today, but is going home tonight.
    I suggest that he will lead the peleton over the finish line, but it's one "win" that he'd never want.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Will a win be officially given for the stage or will there be no results given? I know it is neutralised but I suspect no rider will actually want it to be credited to their palmares.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Pross wrote:
    Will a win be officially given for the stage or will there be no results given? I know it is neutralised but I suspect no rider will actually want it to be credited to their palmares.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that no results will be given. All of the riders will be given the same time.
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    Pross wrote:

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that no results will be given. All of the riders will be given the same time.

From what I've heard, this stage will not go towards general classification at all. Finding it hard to watch the live feed, but probably nothing to what the guys riding are going through today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Neutralized means just that. No times, no points, no awards.

I must say that Harmon and Kelly are doing a superb job, on such a difficult occasion.
    The are applying a measured perspective towards all the emotive issues that tend to be raised, after such a tragedy.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    After deleting yesterdays recording, I find myself perversely looking forward to tonights.

Even though such things should never happen, the sports response is, to my mind, respectful, dignified and inspiring.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    After deleting yesterdays recording, I find myself perversely looking forward to tonights.

Even though such things should never happen, the sports response is, to my mind, respectful, dignified and inspiring.

+1 - This is something the sport should be proud of. It would just be preferable if it never had to be shown though.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Some nice tributes being paid by the fans on the side of the road, which is good to see.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Quite, quite moving, some of the tributes on the hill.
    ES confirm no pain, according to the PM.

Millar had a tumble?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    that is so moving. XX
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.