Wouter Weylandt crash- doesn't look good

1235»

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I also question the sincerity of those who claim to have been 'devastated' by his death and so forth, with such claims often seeming to be little more than empty rhetoric. In my view such statements are also somewhat insulting to those who are genuinely devastated by the loss of someone they loved.

As I've already said on this thread, many of the people posting on this thread will have seen him die live on TV. Seeing somebody die a violent, early death or suffer a serious injury can be traumatic whether it's right in front of your eyes or on the screen - even if you don't know the person.

I am sure that if people had seen the asylum seekers dying on the boat they would have been absolutely mortified - there's a reason why TV channels very rarely show pictures of people being killed.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited May 2011
    P_Tucker wrote:
    So, you fail to see my point? Unfortunately failing to see the point I am making is a major failing of most of the human race.

Your point seems to be that people empathaise primarily with those most like themselves. There are good evolutionary reasons for this, which, based on the intelligence displayed in your posts, I suspect you understand. Whilst one might expect an intelligent rational human to rise above their natural impluses to view the world dispassionately and objectively, I suspect it's not a surprise to you that they don't - after all, the majority of people believe in sky fairies FFS.

As others have said, I do wonder what your agenda is. You aren't going to change the world on an internet forum; I doubt you'll even change one person's mind - no-one listens to anything when they're on the defensive or they don't like the person doing the talking.
    I suspect the agenda is political, as in having a knock at the NATO action in Libya, but that's just my guess.
    Still, the logical conclusion is that should TheYorkshireMan's granny, wife or child die, he will mourn with exactly 1/61th of the intensity he does for the migrants.
  • Time to lock this thread methinks, it serves no purpose
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Like to add the I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion on Eurosport that the race number 108 now be withdrawn in future Giros.

I disagree.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Wouter had a particular affinity with that number did he? It's just a race number nothing more. In any event the significance would only be apparent once a year and then in the sequence belonging to another team.

If it seems fitting to pay tribute to him in this sort of way perhaps a dispensation to have his number or his initials on the kit sleeves could be obtained. That way he will be remembered as he rides with the team.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • bompington wrote:
    the logical conclusion is that should TheYorkshireMan's granny, wife or child die, he will mourn with exactly 1/61th of the intensity he does for the migrants.
    The idiocy displayed in this thread astounds me. I have said (multiple times) that people can be genuinely 'devastated' by the loss of those close to them. (As Weylandt's family will be). On the other hand no one on here had any more personal connection with Weylandt than they did with those 61 refugees, the only real link being that he was a cyclist competing in a race they were watching on TV. If you cant see the difference between these scenarios, and you think that your own conclusion is 'logical', than may I suggest that you take a course in logic?

Anyhow, people seem to be getting over their grief pretty quickly, the thread discussing today's stage is already up to 3 pages.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's almost like Howard has finally finished work on his abstract dance version of Das Kapital and has returned to haunt us. All we need is a graph.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    . *boring*

Stop winding people up on a thread that deals with someone's death.

It's disrespectful and inappropriate, regardless of your own opinions on how people should grieve deaths of people they don't know personally.

They don't belong in this thread, nor any other that are dealing with his death.
  • Yellow Peril
    bompington wrote:
    the logical conclusion is that should TheYorkshireMan's granny, wife or child die, he will mourn with exactly 1/61th of the intensity he does for the migrants.
    The idiocy displayed in this thread astounds me. I have said (multiple times) that people can be genuinely 'devastated' by the loss of those close to them. (As Weylandt's family will be). On the other hand no one on here had any more personal connection with Weylandt than they did with those 61 refugees, the only real link being that he was a cyclist competing in a race they were watching on TV. If you cant see the difference between these scenarios, and you think that your own conclusion is 'logical', than may I suggest that you take a course in logic?

Anyhow, people seem to be getting over their grief pretty quickly, the thread discussing today's stage is already up to 3 pages.

Your ignorance is outstanding.

People frequent this forum for their love of cycling and those that race at the highest levels of that sport. You may note that some people have 1000's of replies to their name because cycling is so important to them. It follows that when a tragedy like this occurs before their very eyes that they are going to feel shock and remorse for what has happened. For many the graphic images of yesterday will be the closest that they have been to this sort of horror. What no-one really needs is someone adopting the self righteous starving millions stance. Wind your neck in Mr Spock and leave this thread to those that are passionate about all things cycling.
    @JaunePeril

• when a tragedy like this occurs before their very eyes that they are going to feel shock and remorse for what has happened. For many the graphic images of yesterday will be the closest that they have been to this sort of horror.

Mmm, despite the ‘righteous indignation’, and my own repeated offers to let things lie, it is clear that many still want to discuss what I said.

Anyhow, your explanation overlooks the fact that many posting on here have already said that they never saw the crash, have avoided looking at pictures of the consequences and have even deleted their recordings of the stage before watching them.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    This tragic event has struck a chord with me too. Like many here I watched it happen, I thought of his wife and family watching the same images as me and I thought about my own charges down descents wearing nothing but a placcy helmet and a lycra shirt.

That's not to say I don't care about other tragedies that go on all day long, but the effect of this one on me is pronounced because of the connection.

You're discussing peoples feelings towards a tragic event. Logic and rationality doesn't come into it. What matters is that people are distressed and your callous posts are making them more so. You clearly recognise that, so why not just stop posting? Or is being right that important to you over the feelings of others?

Very sorry that a young man in his prime has died, my thoughts are with his family.

Would also like this thread to be closed please.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Please tell me it's not West Yorkshire...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Slimbods wrote:
    You're discussing peoples feelings towards a tragic event. Logic and rationality doesn't come into it. What matters is that people are distressed and your callous posts are making them more so. You clearly recognise that, so why not just stop posting? Or is being right that important to you over the feelings of others?
    You ask questions, and yet also want the thread locked so that no further discussion is possible. Rather illogical methinks.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    when a tragedy like this occurs before their very eyes that they are going to feel shock and remorse for what has happened. For many the graphic images of yesterday will be the closest that they have been to this sort of horror.

Mmm, despite the ‘righteous indignation’, and my own repeated offers to let things lie, it is clear that many still want to discuss what I said.

Hardly letting things lie are you??? It seems you've always got to have the last word, now stop being such a kn0b and just leave this thread to those who wish to express their grief without being judged on its value.
  • Yellow Peril
    brucey72 wrote:
    when a tragedy like this occurs before their very eyes that they are going to feel shock and remorse for what has happened. For many the graphic images of yesterday will be the closest that they have been to this sort of horror.

Hardly letting things lie are you??? It seems you've always got to have the last word, now stop being such a kn0b and just leave this thread to those who wish to express their grief without being judged on its value.

+1 brucey

Time to go eat your pigeons and shag your whippet Yorkshire boy.
    @JaunePeril

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    brucey72 wrote:

+1 brucey

Time to go eat your pigeons and shag your whippet Yorkshire boy.

Hey now come on... no need for the stereotypes! ;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    +1 time to close this thread its being tarnished
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844

Sad isn't it?
    Cannot even have a nice tread on a serious and very tragic subject without someone ruining it. So thank you yorkshireman I hope you are proud of yourself.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Seriously mods, can you wrap this up. Not the place for this discussion.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Innerring are reporting that the number 108 has been retired for good. Nice gesture. Rest in Peace Wouter.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The loss af any life is sad. When the person is young and in the prime of life, it is particularly sad.

Cycling is an open and accessible sport where it is possible to identifiy closely with the individuals who ride so well. When such a rider is killed it is appropriate to feel loss and equally appropriate to express that loss.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • BigTree
    BigTree Posts: 22
    TheYorkshireMan. Make allowance for their doubting too. RIP Wouter Weylandt.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    This egocentric bickering is sadly depressing.
  • +1 time to close this thread its being tarnished

I know what you mean. Just what sort of person posts things like 'Time to go eat your pigeons and shag your whippet Yorkshire boy' in a thread about the tragic death of a professional cyclist?

:shock:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I know what you mean. Just what sort of person posts things like 'Time to go eat your pigeons and shag your whippet Yorkshire boy' in a thread about the tragic death of a professional cyclist?

:shock:
    Someone who's lost the rag because they've been wound up beyond endurance possibly?
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Why don't you all just ignore this idiot?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    It's quite interesting to see how many people call for a thread to be locked just because they don't like where it's gone. Whatever happened to free speech eh?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    P_Tucker wrote:
    It's quite interesting to see how many people call for a thread to be locked just because they don't like where it's gone. Whatever happened to free speech eh?

I'd be quite happy for the discussion to occur, but in a seperate thread. This thread is paying tribute to the tragic death of a young man, it's not your normal bit of cycling chit chat.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If people refrain from replying or referring to anything the idiot has written then the thread should return to what it's supposed to be. If people reply then he'll just keep replying cos he clearly feels the need to have the last word.
    More problems but still living....
This discussion has been closed.