Wouter Weylandt crash- doesn't look good

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    not afraid to say I shed a tear when I heard.... A guy I rode with in Gran Canaria had a very similar accident right in front of me in January and nearly died - brought back too many horrendous feelings. Thoughts with his family and the team.

RIP Wouter.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    barney96 wrote:
    Shocking shocking news, eurosport shouldn't have shown him on the deck. Close up face shot - too fuxking far......

the pictures come from RAi I believe eurosport have no control over them and by all accounts Harmon was extremely sensitive to the situation.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • zexel
    zexel Posts: 54
    edited May 2011
    Eurosport had no control over what was shown/not shown.

It was the host broadcaster RAI.

RIP Wouter
  • barney96 wrote:
    Shocking shocking news, eurosport shouldn't have shown him on the deck. Close up face shot - too fuxking far......

Eurosport don't control the images - they come from the host TV network (RAI I believe).

Also, they do usually show the aftermath when a rider falls, I guess they didn't realise how serious it was until it was on the camera - the shot of him was for 1 or 2 seconds at most.

However - news sites that now have that image online are showing no respect to him.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    barney96 wrote:

the pictures come from RAi I believe eurosport have no control over them and by all accounts Harmon was extremely sensitive to the situation.

Even the RAI director wouldn't have known until too late. Once they realised they pulled the shot.

David Harmon did a great job considering.
  • This is obviously a tragedy for his family and those who knew him, and a black day for cycle sport, but such events do need to be kept in perspective, especially when events such the one reported below happen in the world - which to be honest had more of an impact on me that reading about this admittedly dreadful crash.
    Nato units left 61 African migrants to die of hunger and thirst
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/08/nato-ship-libyan-migrants

Anyhow, I feel that one way or another the Giro far too often verges on becoming a TV and fans-friendly freak show, what with narrow, dangerous descents being put just kms from the finish when everyone will be tripping on adrenaline and going all-out for the win, ridiculously mountainous routes that turn the race into a suffer-fest, the use of dirt roads and so forth. True, crashes can happen anywhere in any race but the organisers desire to make the Giro even more difficult than the Tour de France often increases the risks riders face.
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    This is obviously a tragedy for his family and those who knew him, and a black day for cycle sport, but such events do need to be kept in perspective, especially when events such the one reported below happen in the world - which to be honest had more of an impact on me that reading about this admittedly dreadful crash.

Anyhow, I feel that one way or another the Giro far too often verges on becoming a TV and fans-friendly freak show, what with narrow, dangerous descents being put just kms from the finish when everyone will be tripping on adrenaline and going all-out for the win, ridiculously mountainous routes that turn the race into a suffer-fest, the use of dirt roads and so forth. True, crashes can happen anywhere in any race but the organisers desire to make the Giro even more difficult than the Tour de France often increases the risks riders face.

Pointless objectivity,I was waiting for one of these :roll: What do you expect from a cycling forum?!

RIP Wouter
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    This is obviously a tragedy for his family and those who knew him, and a black day for cycle sport, but such events do need to be kept in perspective, especially when events such the one reported below happen in the world - which to be honest had more of an impact on me that reading about this admittedly dreadful crash.

This is neither the time or place :roll: This thread is for Wouter lets keep it that way? RIP.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Va Va Boom
    Va Va Boom Posts: 47
    Watched it live today. Like others have said here it was trully sickening. My work collegue asked me to rewind it as he missed it but I refused.

Highlights what can happen at anytime in this sport.

Deepest sympathy to all who personally knew this excellent sprinter.
    fellow cyclists please visit - www.justgiving.com/markfaloon
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Jesus. Anyone thinking about rewinding the footage to have a look - just don't.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Poor bloke, he was dead before he came to a stop. Looks like a massive cranial fracture. I also feel very sorry for both Vicioso & Millar too, their day of glory to be overshadowed by such tragic news.
    I guess tomorrow's stage will be a procession, with the chequered flag taken by a Leopard Trek rider.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • P_Tucker
    Poor bloke, he was dead before he came to a stop. Looks like a massive cranial fracture. I also feel very sorry for both Vicioso & Millar too, their day of glory to be overshadowed by such tragic news.
    I guess tomorrow's stage will be a procession, with the chequered flag taken by a Leopard Trek rider.

That's the normal procedure, yes.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    RIP a to a young talented rider
    Thoughts and prayers go to his family & friends

(This is not the time, but a line should be drawn between spectator enjoyment and safety for the riders - this IMO is a line that needs a serious investigation after this tragedy).
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • wicked wrote:
    This thread is for Wouter lets keep it that way? RIP.

Yes, let's all continue to make empty platitudes ('RIP', 'God bless', 'I'm gutted' ', and so on) about someone who we never knew and before this day were probably hardly aware of. It's the done thing, don't you know?

To my mind, unless those who said they 'prayed' for Weylandt, shed tears over his death and so on, react in the same way to other far greater human tragedies - such as the death of those refugees - then their declarations of empathy and compassion are pretty empty. Then again, it is a sad trait of humanity that empathy for others is often only extended to those who are perceived as being 'similar' in some way.

As I said, this is a black day for cycling and those who knew him personally, especially his family, will undoubtedly be genuinely devastated. However, as long as the fans demand that races such as the Giro present a 'spectacle' they are hardly best placed to wring their hands when a rider pays the price of the organisers attempting to provide them with 'thrilling entertainment'.

I'm happy to leave it there - unless others wish to take issue with what I have said, in which case perhaps they should start another thread.
  • omg, just seen the post crash footage and with the info on the crash and although I didn't see the crash sounds like he may have been killed instantly.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

R.I.P :(
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047

I suppose in the circumstances that's the best way to go.

.Hopefully this way he was out cold and did not suffer.
  • P_Tucker
    wicked wrote:

Yes, let's all continue to make empty platitudes ('RIP', 'God bless', 'I'm gutted' ', and so on) about someone who we never knew and before this day were probably hardly aware of. It's the done thing, don't you know?

To my mind, unless those who said they 'prayed' for Weylandt, shed tears over his death and so on, react in the same way to other far greater human tragedies - such as the death of those refugees - then their declarations of empathy and compassion are pretty empty. Then again, it is a sad trait of humanity that empathy for others is often only extended to those who are perceived as being 'similar' in some way.

As I said, this is a black day for cycling and those who knew him personally, especially his family, will undoubtedly be genuinely devastated. However, as long as the fans demand that races such as the Giro present a 'spectacle' they are hardly best placed to wring their hands when a rider pays the price of the organisers attempting to provide them with 'thrilling entertainment'.

I'm happy to leave it there - unless others wish to take issue with what I have said, in which case perhaps they should start another thread.

Jeeze. Whilst IMHO everything you said is absolutely correct, you are gonna get flamed BIG style.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    P_Tucker wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Jeeze. Whilst IMHO everything you said is absolutely correct, you are gonna get flamed BIG style.

Sometimes there's a big difference between correct and appropriate.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He isn't and shouldn't get flamed, he's entitled to that opinion.

However, IMO the reason this generates these thoughts by everyone is that we can empathise with it as we all ride our bikes, most if not all have crashed at some point and it could all happen to us. i.e. it makes us realise our own mortality and it's consequences for loved ones.

When we hear of tragedies involving circumstances we have no knowledge or understanding of, it's almost impossible for us to comprehend and we simply can't empathise no matter how hard we try.

That's the way I see it anyway.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    wicked wrote:

"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • fieldy1973
    fieldy1973 Posts: 23
    NapoleonD wrote:

However, IMO the reason this generates these thoughts by everyone is that we can empathise with it as we all ride our bikes, most if not all have crashed at some point and it could all happen to us. i.e. it makes us realise our own mortality and it's consequences for loved ones.

When we hear of tragedies involving circumstances we have no knowledge or understanding of, it's almost impossible for us to comprehend and we simply can't empathise no matter how hard we try.

Spot on for me NapD. The reason an incident like this hits home for me is that it makes me painfully aware that every time I get on my bike something terrible like this could happen. It's extremely unlikely and because of that I wouldn't usually give it a moments thought.

Although I did cycle home from work tonight I had absolutely no enthusiasm for it and could only imagine how my family would feel should a similar fate meet me when out on my bike.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Just as an aside, Wouter's webpage http://www.wouterweylandt.be/ links to a facebook page where people are leaving condolences.

I don't know whether or not you consider it an empty gesture as above, but I do know that loved ones can get some form of consolation, however slight it may be, from knowing their grief touches, however briefly, others.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Woute ... 5628713448
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083

For those who give a toss about the above story ,then please head over to "Migrant radar" to leave relevant comments.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    NapoleonD wrote:

I agree Nap although there is also a time and a place to make comments like that.

Personally, I think he has totally missed the point. Additionally, has shown no respect for other peoples opinions.
    I feel pretty grim after hearing the news. Yesterday, I was hurtling down a descent with my club mates at 53mph and we were delighted. Half my pals ride bikes every day and I watch and respect the pro's. I'm upset a rider who could have been my pal has died. I feel a community spirit with cyclists, I wave everytime I see one. If someone wants to tell me im making empty comments they can. It is up to them.
    Also, my dog died today. What a rotten day.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

I felt very sorry for those in the boat, I felt very sorry for those that died in Srebrnica, Rwanda, the Japanese tsunami... but this is a cycling forum. A place to discuss cycling. And seeing as this is by far the biggest thing to happen in cycling this year, and seeing as many of the people posting will have seen his death happen on TV, then it's normal for people to discuss it here. And when they do discuss WW's death, what do you want them to say?

Anyway, a tragedy, I really feel for his family.
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    Awful news, awful pictures, time to take stock. Sad news indeed.

Oh and TheYorkshireMan - you are a pompous arse.
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    RIP Welandt!!!!

at least he went out doing something he truly loved!!!

we will missed by many
  • P_Tucker
    c0ugars wrote:
    RIP Welandt!!!!

at least he went out doing something he truly loved!!!

we will missed by many

It's the way I'd like to go - ideally at about 75 though. Beats a long drawn out wait in a hospital bed.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Truly shocking news.

I think most people on this forum considered last year's Giro to be the best GT and everyone was looking forward to this year. Unfortunately part of what made the Giro so good to watch last year were the tough climbs and descents and it seems that a big price has now been paid for that and, although I have not seen any of today's stage, I feel a sense of shame having looked forward to seeing the riders on a tough parcours.

Hopefully lessons can be learnt to increase rider safety without compromising the racing. There will always be accidents and mishaps but part of Weylandts legacy will hopefully be that riders never have any doubts about the course that they are on.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
This discussion has been closed.