• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jejv wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    It's true! water is actually falling from the sky! :shock:
    :?
    Nah.

Just doesn't happen.

Our children were fascinated at first by the idea of water falling from the sky, so we took them up to the lake district, because we thought that would be the best place to see this phenomenon naturally.

No luck.

We made the mistake of trying to tell them that when the sun was shining, and water was falling from the sky, sometimes multi-coloured circles would appear in the sky.

They obviously weren't very comfortable with this idea. They told their teachers.

Now we have to go on a drug rehabilitation program before we can see them again.

You do live in Cambridge - driest part of the UK.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    My jacket stayed nice and dry yesterday because I left it at home :roll:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'd forgotten how lovely it was to cycle in the rain. Thankfully it wasn't heavy rain on my route. Discovered the batteries need changing as the light emitted was poor and braking in the wet is a little, err, problematic, shall we say :)
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Driest part of Europe North of the Pyrenees, according to the Botanic (Cactus) Gardens.
  • I don't mind the rain. I always have a lightweight waterproof in my bag, however even when it is raining I very rarely put it on. Fortunately in my 9 months of commuting so far I have not gotten completely drenched, yet!!

Now, wind - that is another matter. I don't like the wind :evil:
  • pk64
    pk64 Posts: 53
    You should all count yourselves lucky, out here in the Western Isles I haven't even considered going on a bike for about 3 weeks or so, its been 30 - 40 mph, gusting much higher and raining most of the time. The wind was so bad yesterday it was difficult to keep the car in a straight line over some of the more exposed parts of my journey, must have been over 60 mph (with heavy drifting rain!) ....and I haven't got the option of a train out here! The forecast isn't changing either, it the same as this for as far as the forecast goes, I think by the time I can go back out on a bike again, I'll have forgotten how to ride it! :evil:
    2009 Trek 3900 - MTB (Upgraded)
    1976 Eddy Merckx - Road (Restored)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I just rode trough it last night (but its only a short hop for me) didn't get as wet as I thought it would and found some contact lenses in my bag so at least I could see whilst riding.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jejv wrote:
    Driest part of Europe North of the Pyrenees, according to the Botanic (Cactus) Gardens.

Indeed.

Shame it's full of inbreds and people in socks & sandles.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Here comes the sun, doo n dooda, here comes the sun and I say "It's alright" da doodn doodn ah.

:D:D:D

And I'm, ahem, working from home today.

Up to my butt in receipts though as I try to catch up on the expenses I haven't filed since January......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    jejv wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    It's true! water is actually falling from the sky! :shock:
    :?
    Nah.

Just doesn't happen.
    It's true! It's true!

Water - falling from the sky!

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/we ... 2011-05-23

A veritable downpour. Umm, well more sideways actually.
    There were droplets of water on my glasses!
    When I got home, my clothes were - slightly damp!

I don't think I'll be trading in the camels yet, though.

Perhaps ITB didn't just fall asleep in the shower.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Its happening again, though no idea where the water is coming from as it appears to be going sideways.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nah dont believe you all, i just went outside and the pavements were wet but that could have been for a number of reasons.

Rain ...? unlikely! :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Currently tipping it down at More London Riverside. Hope it's a mere drizzle or stops completely by home time otherwise I could get a tad coldsoaked. Completely forgot to bring a jacket with me. Oh well, that's what hot showers and a shot of medicinal rum are for :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Real heavy downpour in Coventry about 1/2 an hour ago, thick black clouds going across the sky so fast it looks like the earth is falling over the other way, best bit is it looks like I'll have a 35mph negative headwind - setting up for a PB!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    pk64 wrote:
    You should all count yourselves lucky, out here in the Western Isles I haven't even considered going on a bike for about 3 weeks or so, its been 30 - 40 mph, gusting much higher and raining most of the time. The wind was so bad yesterday it was difficult to keep the car in a straight line over some of the more exposed parts of my journey, must have been over 60 mph (with heavy drifting rain!) ....and I haven't got the option of a train out here! The forecast isn't changing either, it the same as this for as far as the forecast goes, I think by the time I can go back out on a bike again, I'll have forgotten how to ride it! :evil:

Well, what did you expect?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sod that for a game of soldiers; I'm going to the pub tonight and catching the train home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Bucketing down in Aldgate right now and has been for last hour or so with sunny interludes... hoping it'll clear by this evening. Very windy too!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,635
    And now in Aldgate, sunny ! Still windy though...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • optimisticbiker
    Yep... which building are you in?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just had stair-rods here in Bicester, vertical too in place of the strong tail-wind I was banking on to be home on time tonight. Hopefully it'll blow over before 5, but I hoped that with the mid-morning monsoon and the one at lunchtime.

Currently it's only lashing down. No - monsoon again.

Luckily I subscribe to Kieran's school of thought; it's only watter, you can only get so wet on a bike. It's a weak excuse to give it a bit of TLC tonight too, wipe down, bit of lube etc.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Going to get wet tonight I think!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    just off horizontal sleet couple hours ago... shame i'm on day off this week :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Aldgate update: raining

I hoping there's enough of a break that I can get home in it... given the potential headwind I doubt it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MonkeyMonster
    waterloo update: started again but more vertical this time more \ than -
  • optimisticbiker
    Gone really black here in Aldgate now, fully fledged downpour coming in from the west and no let up in sight at the mo :( top of Gerkhin (all I can see from my window) now in cloud
  • sketchley
    No rain in old street right now, big black cloud coming in from the west though.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Raining again in Old Street now.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Thunder too!

Arse!
    --
    Chris

• MonkeyMonster
    more 45 degrees than \ now...

not pleasant.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Absolute heaving it down with thunde sound effects in Mayfair. I'm going to get soaked I reckon. No sign of it letting up either, its darker than a dark corner in dark place in darksville
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem