Water falling from the sky!!!

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
It's true! water is actually falling from the sky! :shock:

:?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Crazy isn't it!?

I actually removed my mudguards and got soaked on the way home. Every day I've ridden in and out of Manchester for around last two months and the roads have been bone dry! That must be a record for Manchester.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    itboffin wrote:

we had a lovely thunderstorm here last night, got a great view of it over the estury at Lympstone :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm supposed to be doing some garden work at the old house this morning.....just loked at RainRadar and it ain't happening this morning|
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Yep certainly is just done a 40 miler in it sure it added extra weight to my riding :shock:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's what us Scots call...rain. Don't worry, it wont hurt you.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Graden looks so much better!

my commute bike has mudguards so is fine, though roadie brakes in the rain, can be scarey!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Good old RainRadar, spotted a hole, jumped in the car, job done!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    Stopped here a couple of hours ago, just enough time to prune the trees set up the MTB with the tag-along and chain the drive chain on mrs itboffins bike.

off to the fair, now where to put ones guns??
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Got caught in a shower after I (stupidly) decided to extend my ride today. I don't think I've ever been so wet before :(

On the plus side, I didn't melt :D
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Avoided the wet stuff this morning by going to pick up a used steel framed raleigh that I bought on fleabay last night. Took it into work for some tlc and picked it up and rode home (in the dry) after shopping. Rode really well too needs some more work and definitely a new saddle
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Dry run out this pm but raining quite heavily now - tomorrow looks OK
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    That's no sh1t
    We once had this bright burning object just hanging in the sky, it felt warm and nice, but passed in a few moments.
    Call a referendum, instead of a public holiday for rich tw@ts' weddings there should be a holiday for 'omg it's sunny in Scotland'. You Eng's would be welcome too.
    n.b. Bring goretex
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Err, it seems to be weeing down - almost forgotten what it's called. Anyone else totally unprepared?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *tremulously raises hand*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I was, but I'm out this evening so not cycling back.

Naturally I don't have a coat or umbrella so any smugness is shortlived.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    Yup. No guards, no lights, summer jersey and shorts, worn back tyre. I'm talking myself into a tube ride I think. Do not pass go; do not collect £200.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Yup did the choob and it was horrid but I am dry, until I get to the other end at least.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yup. No guards, no lights, summer jersey and shorts, worn back tyre. I'm talking myself into a tube ride I think. Do not pass go; do not collect £200.
    Ditto and the option of carrying a heavy rucsac full of stuff. On a training course tomorrow, which either means leaving extra early to get to office, shower, change and walk to course - 15min+ away, or taking stuff home tonight and tubing it in tomorrow, or tubing it home tonight and tomorrow am.. Either way, I'll have to walk back to office tomorrow evening to get bike... I hate the tube.... but I'm knackered and not looking forward to a cold, wet and windy 70min ride home...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • itboffin
    Well what do you know beautiful sunny & dry here.

Super!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    What's this Choob you speak of ITB? Are you working for "The Man" again?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:

Super!

Did a half-and-half: rode to Blackfriars, jumped on the train to Tooting, where it was dry (although overcast and threatening to rain) and rode the last 15 minutes home. The sun is just peeking under the clouds as it sets.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    As I left work today (train day) it was obvious that most of the cyclists were either completely unprepared for rain, or don't like wearing waterproofs.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Annoyed with myself.... got on Met Line home, north of Baker St its clear, sunny and pretty much dry... what a wimp :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Super!

Did a half-and-half: rode to Blackfriars, jumped on the train to Tooting, where it was dry (although overcast and threatening to rain) and rode the last 15 minutes home. The sun is just peeking under the clouds as it sets.

Odd, just 5 or so miles from Blackfriars it worked itself up to a sort of wet mist for about an hour and it's now completely dry again.

I've been working outdoors using the bike for 7 weeks now and I still haven't managed to get wet. I did take a rain jacket with me one day last week but it was a false alarm so I haven't bothered since.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Lucked out - had a meeting after normal work hours that lasted til 8. Left just as the sun came through the clouds and the roads had dried up more or less.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Been peeing down solidly in Manchester all week, we're promised it'll stop soon
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    itboffin wrote:
    Nah.

Just doesn't happen.

Our children were fascinated at first by the idea of water falling from the sky, so we took them up to the lake district, because we thought that would be the best place to see this phenomenon naturally.

No luck.

We made the mistake of trying to tell them that when the sun was shining, and water was falling from the sky, sometimes multi-coloured circles would appear in the sky.

They obviously weren't very comfortable with this idea. They told their teachers.

Now we have to go on a drug rehabilitation program before we can see them again.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    It rains .... and ..... some of you put your bike on the train ??? or take the tube instead of cycling ??

What if it rains this evening ? or it's raining when you get up tomorrow morning ?
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...had a wet ride last night... I love a wet ride :D ...first time my rain jacket has been out for ages...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's amazing how quick you forget things; a few weeks of dry weather and I'd completely forgotten how catastphocally poor brakes are in the wet. Nearly shot straight through the first set of traffic lights last night.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX