2 BBQ or how 2 BBQ that is the Qs

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Real men use these:
    http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/product ... ecue-black

If you're a real bbqer, as opposed to a griller, and want to smoke for 8 hours, then one of these:

http://www.gardenandleisure.com/product ... 57cm_.html

If you MUST have gas, then

http://www.gardenandleisure.com/product ... lack_.html

And for the larger family:

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/weber-ranc ... partner=fr
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Aren't BBQ's just a ploy by wimmin to trick blokes into cooking?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    itboffin wrote:
    Grafton game fair this Sat if you're around, it's looking like another awesome year - beer, food and guns what more could you ask for.

Not sure I own enough tweed or elbow patches :P Do have a retriever and a number of guns though :lol:

Unfortunately I will be working this weekend but thanks for the heads up, will put a reminder in the calendar for next year.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    You are all pu$$ies.

This is how real men BBQ.

Typical engineers "Gee, BBQs take too long to heat up - how can we speed it up?

LOX!

(tragically, I'm giving away my age by confessing to having seen this video on the interwebs back in the mid 90s - LONG before youtube....)
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    itboffin wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    Wood is naturally the one true way. That you've cut yourself, obviously.

But normally coal, although often kickstarted by building a small wood fire first.

Gas is just wrong.

No no gas is good you have total control of the heat and your food is actually cooked not burnt on the outside raw on the inside.

Sounds to me like you can't cook on a BBQ properly and you've copped out with the gas option. :wink:

thats my opinion of Gas BBQs too .

can't beat a good charcoal barby and proper cooking techniques for a cooked to perfection food item.

Hence i voted wood as thats what charcoal is
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Charcoal BBQs are always good, but my dad's got a gas one. And to stop the flames and smoke he cooks the food on an oven tray.....might as well use the grill in the house!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    thelawnet wrote:

Real men build firepits. The way nature intended.

[Edit] And who pays £100 for a glorified container in which to burn charcoal in, seriously?![/Edit]
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    PBo's right only pussies use gas, all you need is a chimney starter for your charcoal
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    This one is a bit like Helmets and WD40 - people absolutely swear blind there way is best.

Gas all the way, I used to be a died in the wood charcoal-ite until I tried gas and realised it was much better. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Aidy wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

Real men build firepits. The way nature intended.

[Edit] And who pays £100 for a glorified container in which to burn charcoal in, seriously?![/Edit]

People who've used them and know how good they are.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    This one is a bit like Helmets and WD40 - people absolutely swear blind there way is best.

Gas all the way, I used to be a died in the wood charcoal-ite until I tried gas and realised it was much better. :D

Now anyone who barbecues using a helmet full of WD-40 and gets good results has my utmost respect.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    It's a nice hot day

I know, let's cook round an open fire

Please explain the attraction (or the reasoning) :?
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Yesterday morning we thought we'd have bacon sarnies. Turn on gas barbecue, cook bacon then turn off barbecue. Hassle free, quick and best of all the poxy smoke alarms in the house didn't go off!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Several years ago the future mrs itboffin and i were staying at her dads place in Florida when we went ever so slightly off route, only to find ourself driving past a camp site of red necks wearing dungarees and nothing else not even shoes sitting around a camp fire, okay so you know deep south and that but FFS it was +40c out :shock:

We drove away very very quickly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I have a secret hankering ... For this:

Connoisseur-Gas-BBQ-System.jpg

Though I don't usually drink Moet...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Yeh i really dont like it either it's flavourless and too bubbly, I prefer bolli darling or Veuve if i'm slumming it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Drysuitdiver
    t4tomo wrote:

Now anyone who barbecues using a helmet full of WD-40 and gets good results has my utmost respect.

that sounds like a gauntlet being thrown down. i shall get a steel helmet and light the BBQ using WD40 ( or GT 85 ;) )
    exercise.png
  • Drysuitdiver
    It's a nice hot day

I know, let's cook round an open fire

Please explain the attraction (or the reasoning) :?

excuse to drink beer , not that i need one mind.
    exercise.png
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Moet? Ugh...

To all you gas BBQ'ers - do you not already own an oven? Maybe you should just have it moved to your garden.

I have 2 charcoal bbqs - both were very cheap, both cook very well, one's a hot-smoker.

But then seeing as I'm half aussie maybe I have a genetic predisposition towards bbq competence...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Guy Charbaut - champagne king

these OTT gas jobbies aren't my thing... charcoal into a little reusable, keep it simple - mrsEd does asparagus and pepper on the bbq and makes a bruschetta with it, very nice indeed. I reckon a steak and some sausage is all you need, key is the quality of the meat and a clean grill
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Moet? Ugh...

To all you gas BBQ'ers - do you not already own an oven? Maybe you should just have it moved to your garden.

I have 2 charcoal bbqs - both were very cheap, both cook very well, one's a hot-smoker.

But then seeing as I'm half aussie maybe I have a genetic predisposition towards bbq competence...

Nah it'll be the Aussie bit restricting sophistication of thought. Once you supress that side of your character, you'll realise gas is better. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Drysuitdiver
    talking to the mech eng in work yesterday afternoon and he has a barbeque in his back garden piped up to the domestic gas supply in his house. I have asked for pictures.
    exercise.png
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    This is a mans bbq....
    mansbbq.jpg
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    edited May 2011
    And wood is still bringing up the rear! (fnurk) I am astounded.

Look guys, girls and demi-antipodeans it's a combination of the end product and the journey.

Wood makes food taste better, period. To deny this is frankly ludicrous.

When you've finished eating, whilst the sun is sinking, the chat is flowing and the bubbles gently fizzing the fire may be stoked. Additional wood may be added providing warmth and flattering light to a soundtrack of gentle pops and snaps.

It does take a little more care and time to build the fire in the first place - but the comparision to a gas barbie is of a long romantic weekend in a country cottage to paying for a whore in Dusseldorf on a business trip.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Presumably those of you who barbecue with wood have to stand well back from the heat.

[Gnurk, gnurk, fnar, fnar]
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Anyone still cooking outdoors here in the UK?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Can't see the point of a gas BBQ...

+1
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    SimonAH wrote:
    - but the comparision to a gas barbie is of a long romantic weekend in a country cottage to paying for a whore in Dusseldorf on a business trip.

She was worth it and I got it back on expenses
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Where is the skill in using a gas BBQ? Proper BBQing is an art, and once you know how to do it, ie wait for the coals to die down and cook it slowly, you get lovely lovely food.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    Anyone still cooking outdoors here in the UK?

Yes.
    Mrs EKE, does a good BBQ (despite being a burd) and she cooked up a storm last night then we sat in the garden drinking and using the chimnea to keep everyone warm.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!