2 BBQ or how 2 BBQ that is the Qs

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Simple poll, what kind of BBQ do you use?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    You're making good use of your last day off work then :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Becoming DDD
  • Mine's a butane burning beaut of a BBQ. Imagine the joy of just lighting the damn thing and starting to cook. :D
  • itboffin
    dhope wrote:
    You're making good use of your last day off work then :wink:

yeh i was going to cycle but instead i've decided to have to days of BBQ drinks parties and cycle on Sunday ready for work Monday, beside with this country you never know how long the suns gonna last best to make to most of it I say.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mine's a butane burning beaut of a BBQ. Imagine the joy of just lighting the damn thing and starting to cook. :D

Isn't that just a hob, you know, like you keep in a kitchen.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    Mine's a butane burning beaut of a BBQ. Imagine the joy of just lighting the damn thing and starting to cook. :D

But you live in Scotland surely it's never been used ...? :P
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    By coal i assume you mean charcoal? :shock:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Gas, under ceramic bars, with a cast iron base and lid.

Real fine...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Isn't that just a hob, you know, like you keep in a kitchen.

Nah, most of the smoke in a barbecue is caused by the fat dropping from the meat and burning on the hot coals. Replace the hot coals for heated pumice, and the net effect is the same. Except my barbecue food tastes better, because I can control the temperature and not burn everything.
    ITB wrote:
    But you live in Scotland surely it's never been used ...? :P

Not as much as yours, that goes without saying... But it doesn't have to stop raining for long to fire it up and start cooking, so it gets plenty of use.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    funnily enough im just trying to figure out how to make a BBQ out of oil drum, seen loads on t'internet but i dont like the look of them

start the "A team" music i got a BBQ to build!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Wood is naturally the one true way. That you've cut yourself, obviously.

But normally coal, although often kickstarted by building a small wood fire first.

Gas is just wrong.
  • itboffin
    When we moved to Wiltshire we bought a new gas BBQ, didn't use it once in two years thanks to pants weather, this year i've lost count already.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can't see the point of a gas BBQ...
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    mudcow007 wrote:
    funnily enough im just trying to figure out how to make a BBQ out of oil drum, seen loads on t'internet but i dont like the look of them

start the "A team" music i got a BBQ to build!!

I used an old beer keg for mine, been working fine for the past decade :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • itboffin
    Aidy wrote:

But normally coal, although often kickstarted by building a small wood fire first.

Gas is just wrong.

No no gas is good you have total control of the heat and your food is actually cooked not burnt on the outside raw on the inside.
  • Can't see the point of a gas BBQ...

Food tastes just as good, if not better and you don't have to spend an hour lighting it. Again, the smoke that flavours the food doesn't come from burning charcoal.
  • rick_chasey
    itboffin wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Gas is just wrong.

No no gas is good you have total control of the heat and your food is actually cooked not burnt on the outside raw on the inside.

Sounds to me like you can't cook on a BBQ properly and you've copped out with the gas option. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Can't see the point of a gas BBQ...

Food tastes just as good, if not better and you don't have to spend an hour lighting it. Again, the smoke that flavours the food doesn't come from burning charcoal.

Where does it come from then?

Food tastes very different when cooked on my BBQ than on my rigged grill pan?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Wood, there is only wood.

Anything else is heresy.

(Does of course help that I do a lot of woodwork - ergo always a big box of offcuts knocking around). Cooked steaks on teak last week, beat that Propane Boy!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I've a cheapo bucket bbq that lives in the boot of my car next to a bag of charcoal & firelighters - live in the west of Scotland hence the requirement for fast action whenever the rain stops! Always cooks well, though patience is a virtue - used to douse the bugger in lighter fuel then stand well back (draws some funny looks at times), now I just assemble a small mountain of firelighters near the bottom, cover in charcoal then sit down & salivate for an hour... mmm, burnt meat.
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I really don't like BBQs

Nasty smelly smokie things, especialy when your neighbours fill up your house with smoke whilst you're out for the day, nice.

When my dad was a kid the house had an outside loo, so you cooked and ate in the house and shat in the garden. These days we cook in the garden and sh*t in the house, where's the progress in that? I thought this was the 21st century.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    My gas barbecue (proper big job imported from Canada, thank you corporate relocation) lives on the verandah at the rear of my house.

The verandah's covered, so I can use it even in the rain.
    It's up and running in minutes, no waiting for charcoal to light/flame/get ready.
    If guests turn up late, I just fire it up again.
    I do effectively use it as an outside grill; perfect for cooking fish or anything you don't want to stink out the house.

In fact....I'm off to the shops for some fish to grill for dinner :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've got the best barbecue in the world. Weber gas, 3 burner all stainless. Best bit is it was free. A mate found it dumped outside a big house with the rubbish. It had a melted knob (ouch) from where it had been leaking and caught fire and was utterly filthy. Simple fix because one of the burners wasn't fitted properly, the mounting bolt was only finger tight. Cleaned it up and it works perfectly. Lovely and easy to use, and it's recycling in it's purest form. Some rich bloke couldn't be arsed to get it repaired so I fixed it for myself.
    Flavour on a gas bbq comes from the fat dripping off the food hitting the bars underneath and burning off back onto the food, same as happens with fat burning off charcoal. Wood can add other flavours, charcoal doesn't.
  • Fireblade96
    Oh, and I've got one of these on the back of the yacht !

Magma-Gas-BBQ1.jpg
    Misguided Idealist
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    The classic Weber style "Kettle BBQ" is brilliant. Once you eat a roast from one of these you will never put it in the oven again. You have some little separators that keeps the coals to the side so you can put a tray down and place the roast at the same level as the coals. The heat goes up and around and with the lid on it works an absolute treat. Especially when using the beer can method.

As for those who have trouble lighting their BBQ the Weber Chimney Starter would work for all wood & bbq BBQs and makes it as easy to start as a gas cooker in your kitchen. I normally start the chimney starter off then head off to do the food prep. Come back 20 mins later and pour the coals into the BBQ and you are ready to go.

No smokey eyes or blowing required ever again.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I think ITB, Fireblade and the other gas users need new avatars:

king-of-hill3.jpg

• itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    If you're going to use gas, you might as well just cook in the kitchen

Weber One Touch all the way 8) Ditto the above about the chimney starter.
  • itboffin

Grafton game fair this Sat if you're around, it's looking like another awesome year - beer, food and guns what more could you ask for.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:

Grafton game fair this Sat if you're around, it's looking like another awesome year - beer, food and guns what more could you ask for.

Sounding like a redneck there ITB. Do you have a confederate flag painted on the roof of your car and the doors welded shut?

• Fireblade96
    itboffin wrote:
    .....beer, food and guns what more could you ask for.

Nekkid wimmin, wrestling in a vat of coleslaw?
    Misguided Idealist