Praise the Lord for I have seen the light!

Comments

• Gizmokev
    Gizmokev Posts: 146
    paul20v wrote:
    NozzaC wrote:
    In fact wheels in general are a bit of a cop out for those too lazy to run.
    Running is for thieves :lol:

But thieves generally operate at night and therefore dont want to see the light.....especially a blue flashing one...;)
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I love having a HT & FS.
    After 18mths on a FS I recently got back onto a HT and I must say I have really enjoyed it and plan to ride it over the winter.
    Hopefully will see a difference when I get back on the FS in the summer.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Nope, I've decided, I AM the authority, and I decree that only full suss is the true way.

This /\

Once youve tasted fillet steak, why go back to beefburgers :D
  • It is nice to have both a HT and full suss. I love my full suss, I only became a convert in 2008 after much resistance, and recently I built a Ragley mmmbop... cos it is also lovely to have a HT...

Unless you can afford one of those 6k say carbon lightweight full suss jobbies.. and even then you still might need another type of bike...
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    NatoED wrote:
    and I've been up Garth mountain , Mechen mountain , Margam mountain , Pen-y-Bryn mountain , Aberbiden Mountain, The Black mountains .

The Garth mountain!! My very local mountain as i live right next to it!! It was even the basis of a Hugh Grant film.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i live in llantrisant
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    realistically you need

A trail size full susser (say 120 to 140 mm)
    A big full susser for downhill
    A lightweight Hardtail for XC
    A hardcore hardtail with 140mm travel
    a jump bike
    trials bike
    BMX
    Fast road bike
    Winter road bike
    Singlespeed commuter
    plus a bike for the Mrs

:)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Meh was gonna say the further i go the more suspension i want to make it nice and comfy :P

And HT on real downhills just means you end up an inch shorter at the end of the day from spinal compression :p
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    realistically you need

A trail size full susser (say 120 to 140 mm)
    A big full susser for downhill
    A lightweight Hardtail for XC
    A hardcore hardtail with 140mm travel
    a jump bike
    trials bike
    BMX
    Fast road bike
    Winter road bike
    Singlespeed commuter
    plus a bike for the Mrs

:)

This ^^ I think at some point I've probably had all of those, just not at the same time! oh and minus the road bikes obviously! :D
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • JDawg_1989
    JDawg_1989 Posts: 18
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    NatoED wrote:
    and I've been up Garth mountain , Mechen mountain , Margam mountain , Pen-y-Bryn mountain , Aberbiden Mountain, The Black mountains .

The Garth mountain!! My very local mountain as i live right next to it!! It was even the basis of a Hugh Grant film.
    NatoED wrote:
    i live in llantrisant

I live in Church Village.....
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    do you own a specialized? and live down from the high cross pub?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    JDawg_1989 wrote:
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    NatoED wrote:

NatoED wrote:
    i live in llantrisant

I live in Notting Hill.... :)
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    JDawg_1989 wrote:
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    NatoED wrote:

NatoED wrote:
    i live in llantrisant

What a small world as i am in Radyr!
    May well see me blasting round on a pimped Kula Deluxe
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    To be honest, if you push your body and your nerve on every ride, you'll get better regardless of what bike you're on. Just don't expect to be able to jump on a HT and ride it fast if you've been mincing around on nothing but 180mm of squidge for years. Same goes both ways, if you're quick uphill on HT don't expect to be giving your mates a kicking on the climbs aboard a big hitter.

Agree with most of the posters, a fast HT and a big bouncy full suss is the best combination of bikes.

I have the middle ground, light-ish, fast-ish 120mm full susser, miss both slack angles and the direct feel of a hardtail but for one bike-for-all it does the job quite nicely.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol. 99% of bikes in the UK have never seen a bloody mountain hehe.

And even when they have, it's usually a little baby mountain in some flat country.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Northwind wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol. 99% of bikes in the UK have never seen a bloody mountain hehe.

And even when they have, it's usually a little baby mountain in some flat country.
    Not in wales its not :D
  • Northwind
    Wales has a couple of decent learner mountains it's true.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Northwind wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    One day you will become a roadie
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:
    he man who, by his own admission, is a bit crap.
  • Northwind
    No He-manning about it, it's just geography. There's 283 munros and 227 munro tops and they're all taller than all but the 3 tallest in England and about the 10 biggest in Wales.

And then you go to france and realise that you have to stack a couple of Ben Nevises on top of each other and add a Snowdon before you get a proper mountain :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Wow, the education system in Scotland must be awesome for you to realise that bigger mountains are larger than smaller mountains.
    My contention was a self admitted crap mountain biker calling smaller mountains "practice" mountains. Practice for what exactly? How many of those Scottish mountains have you been up?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Oooh, what have I started?! ;-)

My comment was tongue in cheek - in reality the height of the mountains or hills gives you longer descents and climbs, not necessarily more technical terrain. A weaving, undulating ride over the sharp drops and heights of the peaks is very challenging, and yet only rises to 2000ft at the most. In fact Wharncliffe doesn't pass 1000ft. But as Peaty says, is home to some of the best riding in the world.
  • Northwind
    My contention was a self admitted crap mountain biker calling smaller mountains "practice" mountains. Practice for what exactly? How many of those Scottish mountains have you been up?

3 Munros, which'd be enough to complete the set in England :lol: I've no idea why you're trying to make this into a willy waving competition though :? Is there a reminder in your diary that says "May 8th- become incandescent with rage for no reason and get in an inexplicable argument"? I'm slagging southern geography not southern riding.

(and am I crap? No, I wouldn't get far riding the stuff I do if I was. I'm not great either. I'll settle for adequate)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Bring your bike here Northwind ;-)

wharncliffe%2Bcrags.jpg

None of that sanitised trail centre rubbish :wink:
  • Northwind
    From the pic I can't even figure out where you're supposed to go :lol: Barrel roll off the top bit?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    In an ambulance, looking at that bit! There is a good track across the top of the rocks, is about 3km long: superb technical riding, and in places you need a bloody trials bike!
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    nicklouse wrote:
    soon you will see the real Light and get a HT as well.
    +1
    As long as family auditor agrees...
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    I've no idea why you're trying to make this into a willy waving competition though
    You're the one who started the dick-swinging contest. As usual.
  • Northwind
    Ah well, as long as you're enjoying yourself. Though tbh I have no idea what thread you've been reading :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist