Praise the Lord for I have seen the light!

Fudgie
Fudgie Posts: 68
edited May 2011 in MTB general
First ride today on my new Canyon Nerve. Which also happens to be my first ride ever on a full sus after a lifetime of hardtails.

It took me about one hour to realise that I'll never buy another hardtail.

I usually start heading for home when my bum gets numb and the lower back pain kicks in. Today I simply ran out of food and drink otherwise I'd still be out there!

Must have been on the road to Damascus or something.
Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Amazing how these things work eh? I for one cannot stand the thought of lugging around all that full suss on a long ride ;-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    soon you will see the real Light and get a HT as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    There are a lot of reasons to buy full suss and the best one is so you can ride for longer without back pain. Its why I bought a bouncer but I would never be without a hardtail either.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    i will miss you old HT on the long cold wet rides. :lol: .iv got a HT for the long rides and a bouncer for the fun rides.
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    Seeing the light is definitely having both....
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    BikingBob wrote:
    Only if you can afford both that is
    not everyone can me being one :D
    and i also after many years on a HT find a FS much nicer to ride generally and a load faster on the trails etc
    as for pedalling it it all works for me 2 levers to flick and i dont find it an issue .
  • Fudgie
    BikingBob wrote:
    Well, I'm not getting rid of the Whyte. At the moment I'm just gobsmacked at how much better the Canyon is.

Hopefully I'll find a niche for the HT because it's a gorgeous bike :lol:
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    nicklouse wrote:

i was just sick in my mouth a little bit then.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

i was just sick in my mouth a little bit then.

get back in your home. Who let you out.

PS it will be SS as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I have both too, and it is only recently that I've been getting familiar with a FS (not that way!). I have to admit that I'm quite enjoying it.

The reason I bought one (FS) was because of knee issues that I have had for a long time, and I've found that as I've got older lessening the impact on the joints has kept my knees from grumbling.

I'll keep the HT for as long as I can (forever, hopefully) - having both HT and FS is the best of both worlds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Who needs Ht for long rides - I can happily do 60 miles plus on my full suss.

That said, I'm saving up for a HT 29'er
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Slack wrote:
    Who needs Ht for long rides - I can happily do 60 miles plus on my full suss.

That said, I'm saving up for a HT 29'er

its the old different strokes for diferent folks i suppose.

i always enjoy a HT when i buy one but slowly find myself using it less and less over the space of 2 months and end up getting rid, i should stop buying them really.

i can se the point of them for other people, i just think they are wasted on me.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If you ride a FS your skills will begin to suck, only those who ride HTs are the bestest.
  • Fudgie
    Briggo wrote:
    If you ride a FS your skills will begin to suck, only those who ride HTs are the bestest.
    Actually, I haven't got any skills :?

But I'm hoping it'll be less obvious on the full sus :D
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    For me it's essential to own both as my HT is converted to SS and I love the different type of riding style that gives me, I don't suffer from back ache at all, or is very rare anyway but this might have something to do with the fact I'm mainly standing? and hardly need to sit while navigating singletrack 'SS style'.

Both/all types of bike (apart from B.S.O's) are good is the answer. 8)
  • paul20v
    Briggo wrote:
    What a load of rubbish :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hardtails aren't even real mountain bikes.
  • supersonic
    But they are for real riders.
  • Anonymous
    So are you saying "real riders don't ride mountain bikes"?
    Cause... that's a hell of a statement.
  • supersonic
    Lol. 99% of bikes in the UK have never seen a bloody mountain hehe.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol. 99% of bikes in the UK have never seen a bloody mountain hehe.
    Mine has. Several times. Does that make me the authority on UK mountain biking?
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    ha you need 3 bikes.

1 full sus
    1 HT
    1 ridged single speed (preferably pace RC100 or 200 with Rc30 carbon forks.)
  • Anonymous
    Nope, I've decided, I AM the authority, and I decree that only full suss is the true way.
  • NatoED
    I'm starting a fledgling sport called Scogbogging .
  • NatoED
    and I've been up Garth mountain , Mechen mountain , Margam mountain , Pen-y-Bryn mountain , Aberbiden Mountain, The Black mountains .
  • hennez
    hennez Posts: 255
    Briggo wrote:

you could have removed the 'stumpy FSR comp' from your signature before making that statement......
    My bike takes me places that school never could
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yeah well I know I'm crap, I'm just reitterating what the masses on here have declared so must be true.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you ride a Hardtail your skills will begin to suck, only those who ride Unicycles are the bestest.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    stubs wrote:
    If you ride a Hardtail your skills will begin to suck, only those who ride Unicycles are the bestest.

Yes any suspension makes you take an easier line and degrades your skills. Arms are the best front suspension you can get. Gears are for wimps who cannot build up the necessary combination of leg strength and speed. In fact wheels in general are a bit of a cop out for those too lazy to run.
  • paul20v
    NozzaC wrote:
    In fact wheels in general are a bit of a cop out for those too lazy to run.
    Running is for thieves :lol: