Germaine Burton - NBT?

13»

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Just catching up with some old news but it seems Burton left the development programme a few weeks ago - i dont know if he was dropped or quit (he may even have chucked competitive cycling altogether)

Was disappointed to read it - he looked like a really good prospect and still seemed to be progressing well over last winter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He's 21 now. And he appears to have been surpassed by many of his contemporaries - TGH, Peters, Carthy, Doull, Davies etc. He's got this season and maybe next to get some results if he is to move forward.

Dare I say that he may just have been an overhyped kid. The Freddy Adu/Sonny Pike of cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    :(

Shame
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's 21 now. And he appears to have been surpassed by many of his contemporaries - TGH, Peters, Carthy, Doull, Davies etc. He's got this season and maybe next to get some results if he is to move forward.

Dare I say that he may just have been an overhyped kid. The Freddy Adu/Sonny Pike of cycling.

Not sure about over-hyped, more likely just developed earlier than his contemparies. It's one of the problems trying to spot sporting talent at a young age.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    edited May 2016
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not sure about over-hyped, more likely just developed earlier than his contemparies. It's one of the problems trying to spot sporting talent at a young age.

I did a bit of mountain biking as a junior and did the southern xc series, never got any results but the top few guys who battered everyone i have heard barely anything of, guy who was a few places behind them, Ben Thomas now rides marathon world cups. I think it happens a lot, a kid shows a bit of talent/develops early gets pushed to train loads and dedicate their teenage years to it then get to 20 and are bored or others have caught up and they lose interest.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Over the winter he got a couple of bronze medals at track world cups, medal at the European under 23s, won the under 23 Ghent 6 day, 4th overall senior in the Berlin 6 days - that is a pretty decent set of results and i think most track observers expected him to step it up a level in the next couple of years based on how he looked racing rather than reading the hype.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Really pleased to see that Germain Burton is set to ride for JLT Condor next season, having rediscovered his love of cycling.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jlt-con ... sh-talent/
  • Excellent news.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format