Germaine Burton - NBT?

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I take it by Endurance they mean Road?
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I take it by Endurance they mean Road?

No, they mean not Track sprinting. The entire programme is very track based although not exclusively. I know the Academy riders spend a lot of the winter riding the track (team pursuit, scratch, points, madison etc) and the summer season on the road racing as 100% ME or GB U23. I believe the ODP is a similar.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    ... Bet Maurice is made up.
    Nah, he's just lost a cheap worker in the shop ;-)
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Why does the OP in this thread have no post count or join date?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Lichtblick wrote:

Cos Nap had his old account suspended and then reregistered on here after a nasty spell of trolling/bullying when he had a bad crash in a race last year.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Lichtblick wrote:

Because the OP is freaking awesome and transcends such trivial statistics.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Is that really your photo? (Is that a real photo of you?)
  • Tom BB
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

This too! Do you still live in HC Nap?....I work at both the highschool and primary school....
  • napoleond
    Tom BB wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

This too! Do you still live in HC Nap?....I work at both the highschool and primary school....

Yep. Kids all go to the primary. (as did I! :shock: )
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Lichtblick wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Is that really your photo? (Is that a real photo of you?)

Errr...

NapD1.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Tom BB
    ....I'm the spikey haired guitar teacher that visits on a Wednesday and Friday. 8)
  • napoleond
    Tom BB wrote:
    ....I'm the spikey haired guitar teacher that visits on a Wednesday and Friday. 8)

Cooool! :o
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Nice Ron Hill's there... :D
  • napoleond
    I didn't have my black combat pants :(

That was during my club's Pym's Chair hill climb...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Any idea how Germaine has done since spring 2011?

I saw he won the Bec Hill climb again last year, but what's he doing otherwise?

I was thinking about this a few weeks' back - haven't heard much of him recently. I see he finished 36th in the Junior World Champs, helping Jonathan Dibben to 5th, and there was this in the Telegraph just before the World Champs: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... 1970s.html

Cheers for that.

A friend of mine made the provisional squad for those Olympics, the selection seemed to be ultimately political, so might be a bit misleading, in my opinion. I'm sure he'll have encountered difficulties non the less.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Richj wrote:
    For those interested he's now been selected onto the ODP

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcycl ... ogrammes-0

That's brilliant. Bet Maurice is made up.
    good to see Zach May made it, nice kid and hard working, also Elinor Barker, and my team mate Ellei Coster :-) and a few more taffs :-)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Richj wrote:
    For those interested he's now been selected onto the ODP

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcycl ... ogrammes-0

That's brilliant. Bet Maurice is made up.
    good to see Zach May made it, nice kid and hard working, also Elinor Barker, and my team mate Ellei Coster :-) and a few more taffs :-)

Zach had an excellent ride in the Abergavenny round of the elite circuit series finishing 9th, 1 place behind Dean Downing. Not bad for a junior!
  • napoleond
    It's scary to hear about juniors being that good heh heh. Exciting times :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It's scary to hear about juniors being that good heh heh. Exciting times :)

Hopefully with the infrastructure now in place we can keep them in the sport as well. There was a rider at my club, Neil Main, who set a lap record on one of the Isle of Man International Week circuits in the late 80s as a junior despite senior riders from the old eastern bloc countries riding it! Unfortunately he gave up cycling by about 20.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    The lad seems to be doing OK:
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/30871598
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow had no idea he was into track.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks.

Big shame though that he is now devoting his life to the incredibly boring track and just going to turn into a BC robot. He had flair...lets hope he takes to the road again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I've seen him a few times on the track in Manchester and there are some signs of real talent. At one of the Revolutions in Manchester last year Ed Clancy unsurprisingly completely blew away the field (in terms of time) in the first leg of the 1km team sprint event (I should know correct the name, but it eludes me). Germain Burton was second fastest, a fair distance ahead of third. For a little guy he packs in a fair amount of power and he seems to have the desire and aggressiveness needed to be successful.

If my understanding of the Team Wiggins set-up is correct the likes of Germain will be able be able to drop into the squad and compete on the road. Hopefully that will give some great opportunities to not just him but also the other teenagers in the GB academy to develop as road cyclists.
  • went well in some of the tour series, was it him for another GB rider that crashed hard on last corner on a stage of TOB?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    went well in some of the tour series, was it him for another GB rider that crashed hard on last corner on a stage of TOB?

That was tao geoghegan hart
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Thanks.

Big shame though that he is now devoting his life to the incredibly boring track and just going to turn into a BC robot. He had flair...lets hope he takes to the road again.
    I don't think he is devoting his life to track. At that age BC like their riders to do a wide range of cycling. It's good for their education. It's not really an indication of their future career.
    Remember, for example, that Simon Yates was a track world champion, but you probably won't see him riding in circles ever again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Looks a good prospect. So too does Mark Stewart - its scary the progress these young guys can make over the course of a year or two as they develop further.
    went well in some of the tour series, was it him for another GB rider that crashed hard on last corner on a stage of TOB?

That was Tao Geoghegan Hart i think
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Thanks.

His dad didn't do too badly devoting his life to the track.
  • frenchfighter
    Completely different era and it is very hard to argue that it is better than being successful at road racing. It is also much harder to make big bucks.
    Contador is the Greatest