What's your commute?

PolyphonicBoy
PolyphonicBoy Posts: 68
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I'm new here, so apologies if I'm repeating an old thread. I'd be interested in seeing what everyone's commute consists of. I just got my new bike (Boardman Hybrid Comp) last night and cycled to work today for the first time.

Here's my journey to work. I'm pretty happy, it was a lot easier than I was expecting. Used the Motion X on my iPhone.

Distance: 9.76 miles
Elapsed Time: 35:34.5
Avg. Speed: 16.5 mph
Max. Speed: 31.5 mph
Avg. Pace: 03' 39" per mile

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't track mine that accurately but....

6.6 miles, Total ET (inc stops) 22-23 mins on a flat barred hybrid based on a Carrera Gryphon frame with 26" wheels and mostly MTB finishing kit but pretty similar in character to your Boardman.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Distance: 11.20 mi
    Time: 00:35:12
    Moving Time: 00:35:10
    Elapsed Time: 00:35:12
    Avg Speed: 19.1 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 19.1 mph
    Max Speed: 28.1 mph
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    8-9 miles
    30-40 min

Why do you guys monitor it so accurately..? :o
  • Distance 22.22miles
    Time 1:05:54
    Average speed 20.2mph
    Max speed 27.8mph
    Average cadence 86rpm
    Average heart rate 148bpm
    Max heart rate 178bpm (I'm 36)

I guess we all have garmins or similar, they just record an insane amount of information...
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • drawblood
    drawblood Posts: 36
    Ditch the computers and the metrics - they just detract from the fun of riding the bike - enjoy the spin and the scenary instead. Far too much measuring stuff these days.

As they used to say at home in Ireland...if you keep weighing the pig, he will never fatten!!!
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    drawblood wrote:
    Ditch the computers and the metrics - they just detract from the fun of riding the bike - enjoy the spin and the scenary instead. Far too much measuring stuff these days.

I'm on a mission to get fit and loose weight at the moment, and coupled with being massively lazy without a Garmin I'm inclined to trundle along at 15mph :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • I was paying attention today as it was the first time I've cycled to work. I'll get my VDO installed onto the new bike at the weekend and then I'll probably just keep an eye on the odometer and see how many miles I'm clocking up.

Will probably take a fair bit longer to get home as I have a big hill (Liberton Brae, Edinburgh) and it's been raining. :?
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Is it possible to get commute envy? I have a measly 4 mile round commute, think I'm just going to have to stick a few miles on the return journey so I don't feel so bad :lol:
    FCN 7
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Distance 22.22miles
    I guess we all have garmins or similar, they just record an insane amount of information...

Indeed. I'm a Garmin fan too. And I look at the numbers as much as anyone else does.
    But a femtosecond after I've seen them I forget them.
  • Kallaen
    Kallaen Posts: 43
    Pep wrote:
    Indeed. I'm a Garmin fan too. And I look at the numbers as much as anyone else does.
    But a femtosecond after I've seen them I forget them.

I'm a Garmin fan aswell, but I am trying to stop looking at it by letting it show what the time is and what my average speed is (even though I don't care about average) and just enjoy the scenary. I mainly use the computer for the purpose of seeing the route driven on the computer and the miles clocked in. Works for me, I barely ever look on it and if I do its mainly to see what the time is.

And at the same time I've stopped using the heartrate belt.

My last commute:

Distance: 19,72 mi
    Time: 1:07:33
    Avg Speed: 17,53 mph
    My last commute:
    15.44 miles
    57 minutes.
    Avg speed: 16mph
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    My commute is only 1.35 miles :)

Takes about 6 minutes coming home, longer to get there of a morning though :lol:
    Cheers Nathan.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    About 17,not tracked my speed but you can watch it instead :wink:

http://www.vimeo.com/22261964
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    12 miles, takes about 45-50 mins depending on traffic and lights etc.
  • 5 1/2m, about 25mins

(Nice skills iPete)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    ~6.5miles ~26 minutes
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • matt1206
    matt1206 Posts: 6
    Distance: 8.82 km
    Elevation Gain: 75 m
    Time: 00:21:52
    Moving Time: 00:21:53
    Elapsed Time: 00:21:53
    Avg Speed: 24.2 km/h
    Avg Moving Speed: 24.2 km/h
    Max Speed: 49.8 km/h

I track mine in KM because I use my Garmin for running also.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Just over 10 miles at the moment, takes about 40 minutes at 16 mph. Garmin user so I checked my activities on garmin connect and found that the home trip is always .2 of a mile further. There must be a lot of left turns.
    I used to have the virtual partner on and try and beat myself every commute but it just wore me out and meant I could only commute three days a week. I now take it steadier and commute most days.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    mines

distance - 8.2 miles
    time - 26 mins
    average sp - 18-19mph
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • 24.4km there, 24.0 back (thats 15.25 and 15miles respectively in old money)

best time there to date 1:00:02, best back 1:06:26

ascent there 89m, ascent back 167m

avg speed 24.3kph (15.2mph) there, 21.7kph (13.6mph) back

and i like my Garmin Edge 800, even with its niggles - I'm not a slave to it... but i would strongly miss its useful info
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    image1dl.png

Close enough to 10 miles according to google maps. 10. 25 according to cycle computer.

Takes around 35 minutes fully laden with 2 full panniers, works out at what 17 mph average with an average flat speed of 20 mph dropping to under 10 mph on the real hills.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • bakerstreet
    bakerstreet Posts: 108
    drawblood wrote:

As they used to say at home in Ireland...if you keep weighing the pig, he will never fatten!!!

Mine offers no distraction. I get iPhone out of case. Hit start on the App and hit stop at the end.

My last commute was Tuesday as I am moving jobs next week and I wont be commuting my bicycle :cry:

Distance : 9.63km
    Ride Time : 27m
    Av. Speed : 21.4kmph
    Fastest Speed: 49.74kmph
    Cals: 290

I did sometimes do an extended commute

Distance : 10.38km
    Ride Time : 28 41s
    Av. Speed : 21.72kmph
    Fastest Speed: 50.03kmph
    Cals: 394

I dont always use the iPhone app. If I'm going further afield, I just use y CatEye Wireless Velo as I want my phone battery to call someone in an emergency rather than it have 10% battery because the GPS has sucked it all!
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Well im brand new to the whole commute via bike thang so my stats will be poor in comparison. Using a MTB with the poor rolling tyres aint helping my cause

Distance 22 miles
    best time 1h 39m 09
    ave Spd 13.3mph
    top spd 29.56mph
    Kcal 1049

wont tell you my return leg of that trip but was straight into the wind lol
    Again start iphone app and go, no distraction for me.
  • I am looking at a new commute. Would like some opinions on route.

It is from Woodford Green to Hammersmith, NE London to SW. Mainly interested in the part from Hackney / Old Street on to Hammersmith.

Anyone do anything similar?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    My commute is about 13 miles on the way in and anywhere between 15 and 18 on the way home, it all depends on how early i can leave and how energetic i'm feeling! 5 times a week too!

the time depends on a lot of things, mainly the wind! it takes just under an hour there and about 1.15/1.20 on the way back. i dont try and break any records and i'm using an old heavy mtb at the mo, but just ordered my first road bike so hopefully those times will start to tumble!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Min 6.5 miles, max as long as I fancy. About 20+ on my downhill run to work, nearer 15+ going home upwards from when I last measured this stuff, but I've got lighter and shaken off a few niggles since then. No idea of the exact numbers as I'm still very happily computerless & enjoying the scenery
  • Some of these are really impressive, this is my best run this year, could not imagine getting an average of 18mph let alone 20mph :( 47 and slightly overweight as per my username :P

Time: 00:56:16
    Distance: 14.55 mi
    Elevation Gain: 375 ft
    Calories: 988 C

Timing
    Time: 00:56:16
    Moving Time: 00:55:26
    Elapsed Time: 00:56:16
    Avg Speed: 15.5 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 15.7 mph
    Max Speed: 33.0 mph
    Avg Pace: 03:52 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 03:48 min/mi
    Best Pace: 01:49 min/mi

SpeedPaceElevation
    Elevation Gain: 375 ft
    Elevation Loss: 348 ft
    Min Elevation: 183 ft
    Max Elevation: 468 ft

Heart RateAvg HR: 126 bpm
    Max HR: 149 bpm
    Avg HR: 72 % of Max
    Max HR: 86 % of Max
    Avg HR: 1.8 z
    Max HR: 3.8 z

Zones% of MaxbpmCadence
    Avg Bike Cadence: 77 rpm
    Max Bike Cadence: 174 rpm
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Mine, via a reasonably direct, scenic route through Richmond Park, is 10 miles on the nose which takes me around 25-30 minutes. That includes quite a tough hill at one end of the Park, but then I get to go down a really nice one a few minutes later.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mine for this morning was.....

Time 31mins
    Distance 6.7 miles
    Moving - 26mins
    Stopped - 5mins
    Max Speed 34.8mph
    Average 16.2mph
    Total Ascent 278ft
    Total Decent 285tf

that sounds lame!!!