How obsessed are you with mountain biking...?

13»

Comments

• beski
    beski Posts: 542
    The smell of Bike Shop.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • I get mightily miffed when once a year I have to drop £350 on car insurance and £100 on a car service on a car i use every day.

But on my bike which i use only twice a week for hours at a time i'll happily drop £90 on a fork service and £300 on a brake upgrade in a month.

Next month its hubs and rims....

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    beski wrote:
    The smell of Bike Shop.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

:lol:

Just got a fix of that walking back from the kitchen here at the office. The new shop we've let space to has a 'back door' from the main office area. I go past it at least 5 or 6 times a day to make a brew. Smells better than the coffee :-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Sometimes I touch myself when I look at pictures of bikes on the internet.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218
    In terms of Shimano groups sets (Altus being least obsessed, XTR being most)

I reckon I'm about SLX :D .

i'm a XT :D
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    been training for the dyfi and been riding a lot so much so i need a change of scenery to inspire myself as im not motived at the moment
  • gruffdris
    gruffdris Posts: 28
    its not too bad till you have OS maps instead of pictures on your walls and your washing pile is mostly a pile of lycra, baggies and socks.
    Spes rockhopper 09 FCN 9
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I actually DO know people who's houses have various maps on the walls everywhere. :lol:
  • Completely. This is not helped by my office being next door to my LBS run by a couple of mates! I think that my nine year old son may be worse, so no sign of improvement on the horizon.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    gruffdris wrote:
    its not too bad till you have OS maps instead of pictures on your walls and your washing pile is mostly a pile of lycra, baggies and socks.

i have an A2 OS map of the surrounding area on my wall with routes coloured in ....

dident strike me as particualy obsessive
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    My obsession comes in waves, at theminute i spend my day on here and just thinking about the next ride and when i will get a chance to hit the trails

i have a box of bits under the bed that i keep saying i need to sell but i wont, there is always the need for a spare derraileur or stem or grips!

i would say i am worse with bikes than i am with cars, cars breakdown too often for my liking, my bike seems to be pretty reliable (other than me breaking it as i have very little techique
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    I think posting on here is a decent measure of obsessiveness.

Also when your bike is out of action for a week and you find yourself lost....ALL DAY!!! endlessly cleaning those compartments you have left, I hope my LBS has cleaned my rear wheel or its going to look daft.

I cant help but call in to a LBS whenever I see one, even if I know it only sells city German/Dutch style bikes....... Its bikes...... The smell...... :roll: :) :oops:
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • cycle monster
    cycle monster Posts: 448
    tsenior wrote:
    gruffdris wrote:

i have an A2 OS map of the surrounding area on my wall with routes coloured in ....

dident strike me as particualy obsessive

So the other three walls are wasted then? Get a grip, you are wasting three compass points!!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I love riding and despise cleaning.I love to know how things work though so will and do find pleasure stripping things down mostly for a challenge....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Despite the fact I could afford stack loads of bikes, I've not spent much so far, but have been getting up to speed, learning, having fun and crashing. Part of the problem is storage. New house is on the cards some day and if that happens, space for a workshop and loads of bikes is a priority.

But I have found I get excited at the thought of riding at the weekends, and with the nice weather and longer days I've been getting obsessed with the idea of getting out somewhere almost every evening if possible. That was the plan until I was having too much fun and got me a trip to the ICU. Now I just have frustration that I can't ride proper trails at all.

Another thing is when I'm driving places and go past wooded areas, common lands, and the like, I keep spotting potential trails off to the sides and I'm making a mental note to check it out. If I have a bike in the car, relevant kit & clothes and spare time it's very tempting to pull up and go ride :D

At the moment it doesn't help also that my drive to and from work takes the bends past Tunnel Hill and all I can see out the window are trails.
  • Sold my Civic Type R even though i loved it. Bought a VW Passat as it is much better for transporting the bike around.

Do i miss the Type R now? Not a chance. Being able to easily move around the country and finding new places to ride beats anything.

Obsessed with biking? just a bit!!
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Spent £200 in the Chain Reaction private sale last month. I still have not been forgiven for spending all the food money on "my bike problem" :roll: despite my constant reassurance that man can live on toast alone. Obsessed? No, hungry? yes.
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    i love it and would hate it if i couldnt ride loads!
  • Crazybear
    Crazybear Posts: 33
    When you start giving your bikes names is a sure sign of obsession. I should know,
    I do it.
    "Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
  • thegiantbiker
    thegiantbiker Posts: 212
    I haven't named my bike, but I do talk to it when riding.

Actually, I've named the crappy Tesco bike I got to keep me out when my bike was stolen. I call it "Transport" - because it's too crap to be called a bike.
    Big guy; small air!
  • BennyB
    BennyB Posts: 174
    Ive just bought a new car specifically just to carry bikes. Thats pretty obsessed!
    Ime diving, ime bored, ime on the diving board
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    BennyB wrote:
    Ive just bought a new car specifically just to carry bikes. Thats pretty obsessed!

I am considering doing this! - My name is Spiro.....and I am an Addict :(
  • BennyB
    BennyB Posts: 174
    im 23 an I drive a 406 estate diesel lol. Now thats dedication to the cause!
    Ime diving, ime bored, ime on the diving board