All the gear but......

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    teulk wrote:
    Just because people have expensive bikes it doesn't mean they have to ride fast, personally i dont care how fast other people ride - if they are going slower than me then i just say hello and go past.
    Indeed with respect to the bike, but the wearing of Lycra is a statement of intent, that intent wasn't being realised, and I refer you back to why the saying of hello wasn't feasable.

Simon

He wasn't comfortable? How could you tell?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Intent of what...going fast? If so, maybe that was their intent and they simply couldn't manage it for whatever reason.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if wearing lycra isnt an indication that you should be riding quickly then why is it a factor in the FCN calculator?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    it's an indication that you take cycling seriously. serious != fast.
    Hat + Beard
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    BR 1979 wrote:
    ....but the wearing of Lycra is a statement of intent, that intent wasn't being realised....

WTF are you on about!?

If I wear my trainers to the shops will you b*ll*ck me for not running? :lol: :roll:

feck yeah, you lazy cretin :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • suzyb
    if wearing lycra isnt an indication that you should be riding quickly then why is it a factor in the FCN calculator?
    So I have to take my lycra off until I have the fitness to ride quickly :? :(
  • clarkey cat
    i don't care what you wear. Just wondering, like.
  • suzyb
    i don't care what you wear. Just wondering, like.
    Sorry misread your post :wink:
  • clarkey cat
    but if you must take off your lycra then today is as good a day as any, what with it being all balmy out.
  • Biffz0id
    Biffz0id Posts: 123
    I passed a slow rider once. He had a Bianchi. Luckily, I always carry a stick to beat people with if I deem them not good enough for their equipment. Even through his gushing blood and pouring tears I could sense he was thanking me for being a good cyclist and doing the correct and proper thing.
  • On this forum there are loads of threads that effectively say that anyone riding more than 1-2 miles should wear lycra because it's more comfortable and suitable.

There are also loads of threads that effectively saying buying a cheap bike is a false economy and therefore a waste of money.

Could well be that the guy the OP went past is a BR forum regular...

On another note, I recently won a full set of running kit from Wiggle. I now look the business when I go running but I still get passsed by just about anyone - definitely all the gear and no idea!
  • I ride a Brompton for my commute and I love it when I come up to somebody riding slowly on an expensive mountain bike... they do a double take as they see a brompton go past and they invariably put themselves out to overtake me whatever energy it takes.

I say ride at whatever speed you want. I never care about average speed... I'm going to get there and just ride at whatever speed is comfortable... generally trying to go at a speed where I'm not sweating too much.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    On this forum there are loads of threads that effectively say that anyone riding more than 1-2 miles should wear lycra because it's more comfortable and suitable.

There are also loads of threads that effectively saying buying a cheap bike is a false economy and therefore a waste of money.

I choose to ride my 15 miles a day in jeans..... It hurts less when you get knocked off and doesn't leave much skin behind on the road.

Not to mention my legs are too white for lycra.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    noodles71 wrote:
    On this forum there are loads of threads that effectively say that anyone riding more than 1-2 miles should wear lycra because it's more comfortable and suitable.

I choose to ride my 15 miles a day in jeans..... It hurts less when you get knocked off and doesn't leave much skin behind on the road.

Pastiness aside how often do you get knocked off if that's your main consideration?

maybe a full set of motorbike leathers would be better suited?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've got a Pink Floyd track that was covered by the Scissor Sisters running through my head...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    JonGinge wrote:
    I've got a Pink Floyd track that was covered by the Scissor Sisters running through my head...

And now so have I...

Yes, there is somebody in here thanks.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    At the moment I'm commuting on a proper road bike with flat pedals, wearing my office trousers with an MTB jersey and carrying a courier bag. Also a battered pair of Altura fingerless gloves and a helmet with a peak.

I have no idea what signals this sends to observers.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    nation wrote:
    At the moment I'm commuting on a proper road bike with flat pedals, wearing my office trousers with an MTB jersey and carrying a courier bag. Also a battered pair of Altura fingerless gloves and a helmet with a peak.

I have no idea what signals this sends to observers.

Utility cyclist?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Well that isn't a sexy designation at all.

Maybe I should get some Sidis, sunglasses, and lycra tops, roll my cuffs up so it looks like I'm wearing 3/4s and try for off-duty roadie.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BR 1979 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that regulations state that a car speedo only has to be accurate from 25mph, hence the problem regarding 20mph zones.

Or - Where did you get your car's speedo calibrated?

Would 15mph have been acceptable pace for him to ride at? How far does the needle sweep between 10-15mph?
    GPS device, why?

15mph would have been neraly OK.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    JonGinge wrote:

Comfortably numb - great track it is too.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    noodles71 wrote:

Try wearing shorts. You are much, much more likely to get a tan than when wearing jeans :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Doing laps of Richmond Park I chased down and flew past a bloke in full HTC kit and riding a carbon Wilier (are they all carbon?) FCN zero.
    I was on a 18-23 steel 1980s Raleigh FG conversion, FCN 4. I had done about 25 miles.

All the gear and no idea came to mind as I gave him 'The Look' whilst climbing a hill.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Nik Cube wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Comfortably numb - great track it is too.

He does that... the song was his point.. no lycra, no feely
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Road bike, a Spesh, all looked nice, rack on back with quality panniers, rider in full Lycra, very slight uphill and.........

Doing 10mph WTH........get on with it.....

Simon

But what was in the panniers?
    How far had he already cycled today/this week? How much further still to go?
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dondare wrote:
    Road bike, a Spesh, all looked nice, rack on back with quality panniers, rider in full Lycra, very slight uphill and.........

Doing 10mph WTH........get on with it.....

Simon

But what was in the panniers?
    How far had he already cycled today/this week? How much further still to go?

No-one said the rules of The Game were easy or fair.
    I think what the OP was saying is: Don't write cheques your butt can't cash.

If you're riding that bike and wearing those clothes, you should put in a good showing. If you can't/won't, hang your head in shame and prepare to be laughed at by your peers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pretty much, yes, I've been flamed somewhat for my post, but you get many similar posts in SCR for example and lots of agreement -still dual standards are a British tradition I guess!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    It is curious when people seem to be going slower than norm, so much like the hot hatch being curiously slow, the lycra roadie at slow speed jars against the stereotype.
  • suzyb
    It is curious when people seem to be going slower than norm, so much like the hot hatch being curiously slow, the lycra roadie at slow speed jars against the stereotype.
    When you put it that way....