All the gear but......

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Road bike, a Spesh, all looked nice, rack on back with quality panniers, rider in full Lycra, very slight uphill and.........

Doing 10mph WTH........get on with it.....

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Owning a Ferrari doesn't make someone a racing driver, let em wobble on and enjoy the satisfaction that you've got stronger over the winter..
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    he might have just received some bad news....?
  • You don't know what they're doing though do you...could be recovering from flu, interval traininig, could be any number of reasons...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Might be tired, ill or even have a problem.

I seldom get passed by another commuter, but last Friday, I got passed by two builder types on an mtb (I ride a flat bar road bike). I get they were thinking the same as you.

Reason - my right knee had been niggling me for weeks and last Friday it came to the fore.
  • Moodyman
    I recall one of my earlier commutes where I overtook a full on roadie.

I thought 'all-gear-and-no-idea' and started feeling smug.

A couple of miles later the guy flew past me as if I was stationery - I could only conclude that he'd just started and was warming up before getting into his rhythm.
  • The Rookie
    All possibles, didn't 'feel' like that though, just felt he rode like that all the time, besides this was through a pinch point and approaching a roundabout where it would have been much safer (for him) to keep closer to the speed of the rest of the traffic than creating an extra pinch point.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    In my foolish younger days, I said the same to a standard road rider who was going pretty slowly at a set of trafic lights, only for him to take off his speedo and show me how far he cycled that day.

Suffice to say, it was bloody bloody far.
  • Moodyman
    All possibles, didn't 'feel' like that though, just felt he rode like that all the time, besides this was through a pinch point and approaching a roundabout where it would have been much safer (for him) to keep closer to the speed of the rest of the traffic than creating an extra pinch point.

Simon

In which case, he must be a MAMIL. They're a poor excuse for cyclists. :o
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    That was me (metaphorically - I ride a Giant) crawling back home at sub 10mph in full lycra, SPD-sl with carbon soles (so you know they're quick) and messenger bag (so you know I mean business).

Thing is I had a tooth ache and about 6hrs later my face had swollen and I had to go to A&E.

Think about that. Sometimes there are justifiable reasons.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mmmm, anyone who's ridden with someone who's on HR or powermeter rides knows that there's the potential for the OP to be really embarrassed by the potential reasons for the apparent slowness.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Moodyman wrote:

Simon

In which case, he must be a MAMIL. They're a rich excuse for cyclists. :o

Fixed that for you :wink:

Why is that just because someone has an appreciation for the finer things that some people think said person has to live up to anything? Live and let live 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    You're Ace you are.

Wish I was as ace as you.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Nice to know I'll be laughed at simply because I have all the gear but struggle slowly up hill sub 10mph. Why do unfit people have to ride crap bikes or wear street clothes just because they don't have the fitness to go fast. :(

(I know you said very slight up hill but there are a few very slight up hills around here I struggle with)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    This is the sort of attitude that makes a lot of cyclists look like dickheads.

Instead of coming on here complaining why not say hello and ask how he's doing. He might be aware of iminent mechanical failure and you might have the tools to help. He might be a diabetic craving that bit of chocolate in your backpack. Or he might just be taking it easy and enjoying the ride. Not everyone is in a hurry. You just never know unless you ask.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    I would have said hi (and stopped.....), but was taking the wife to hopsital in the car - not really practical then (and I'm accused of jumping to conclusions!)

Simon
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited April 2011
    I would have said hi (and stopped.....), but was taking the wife to hopsital in the car - not really practical then (and I'm accused of jumping to conclusions!)

Simon

Ah so you scalped him... in your car? :lol: You can't possibly have noticed the howling gale he was riding valiantly into, then.

Edit: This also makes you sound like one of those impatient motorists who can't wait to get past a cyclist.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    oodboo wrote:
    This is the sort of attitude that makes a lot of cyclists look like dickheads.

Instead of coming on here complaining why not say hello and ask how he's doing. He might be aware of iminent mechanical failure and you might have the tools to help. He might be a diabetic craving that bit of chocolate in your backpack. Or he might just be taking it easy and enjoying the ride. Not everyone is in a hurry. You just never know unless you ask.

Totally agree with that. So what if hes got a fancy bike and is riding it slowly?! As others have mentioned, there could be a whole load of reasons why - I often ride with a HR monitor and if you try and keep the effort really low on a recovery ride then unless you are a pro, you aren't exactly tearing it up...
  • vaseline
    vaseline Posts: 46

Simon

Ah so you scalped him... in your car? :lol: You can't possibly have noticed the howling gale he was riding valiantly into, then.

Edit: This also makes you sound like one of those impatient motorists who can't wait to get past a cyclist.

He didn't scalp him. He stayed behind him to find out how fast he was cycling.
  • The Rookie
    Exactly, I stayed behind for about 100m until it was safe to pass, which is how I knew excatly how fast he was going, other drivers wouldn't putting him at risk. Never said I scalped him at any point I can find.....

No howling gale and that really is a very slight uphill there, I know I cycle it often enough!

Simon
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528

Simon

So what?

Jeez, live and let live...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i said something similar to the OP, went to the garage around the corner from my work an wobbling all over the place was a guy riding a carbon Giant thing, he had full lycras etc but was litrally going about 7mph

someone on here suggested that he was a triathelete?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i said something similar to the OP, went to the garage around the corner from my work an wobbling all over the place was a guy riding a carbon Giant thing, he had full lycras etc but was litrally going about 7mph

someone on here suggested that he was a triathelete?

*snort*

Triathletes are fair game. Bunch of pu$$ies. :lol:
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Some days i go out and just want to crawl along and take in my surroundings, i dont always want to ride at my limit. Granted i end up going as fast a i would normally but the thought was there
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wow, despite my earlier post I didn't think we'd be giving the OP such a hard time.

Look.

There are times when I'm behind a cyclist on an expensive bike and I'm literally willing them to go faster for no other reason than safety and they look neither willing, capable or have teh knowledge to get above 17mph. In those situations I'm left thinking... "all that bike, all that gear and no idea"

There are however other times when I see a guy on a really expensive bike (P-Dogma for example) and the rider is going sub 10mph and I'm thinking if that were me I'd get off, carry the bike and walk...

sheesh.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Just because people have expensive bikes it doesn't mean they have to ride fast, personally i dont care how fast other people ride - if they are going slower than me then i just say hello and go past.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I massively care how fast someone is going if they have a higher FCN to me and are behind me and gaining fast.
  • The Rookie
    teulk wrote:
    Just because people have expensive bikes it doesn't mean they have to ride fast, personally i dont care how fast other people ride - if they are going slower than me then i just say hello and go past.
    Indeed with respect to the bike, but the wearing of Lycra is a statement of intent, that intent wasn't being realised, and I refer you back to why the saying of hello wasn't feasable.

Simon
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I'm pretty sure that regulations state that a car speedo only has to be accurate from 25mph, hence the problem regarding 20mph zones.

Or - Where did you get your car's speedo calibrated?

Would 15mph have been acceptable pace for him to ride at? How far does the needle sweep between 10-15mph?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    teulk wrote:
    Indeed with respect to the bike, but the wearing of Lycra is a statement of intent, that intent wasn't being realised

With all due respect, bollocks!
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    ....but the wearing of Lycra is a statement of intent, that intent wasn't being realised....

WTF are you on about!?

If I wear my trainers to the shops will you b*ll*ck me for not running? :lol: :roll: