Garmin Cervelo - Too Many Cooks ?

13»

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    andyp wrote:
    The Worlds is bigger than even Flanders, Rick.

It's impossible to compare a peripatetic dog 'n' pony show like the Worlds to Flanders or Liege, or Roubaix. Which one is 'bigger' will depend on;
    - the rider in question's perspective
    - different cycling audiences' perspectives
    - the extent to which a Worlds win can be translated into a fatter contract next year
    - the likeihood of seeing the bloody jersey (yes, Astarloa, I'm looking at you!).

I prefer Flanders, but then I'm still in a post-Sportif buzz from last weekend. I can't imagine getting the same emotional connection by riding round a city centre for 7 hours.

Strava is not Zen.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    andyp wrote:

...short memories, some people...

The five monuments;

Milan-San Remo
    Tour of Flanders
    Paris-Roubiax
    Liege-Bastogne-Liege
    Tour of Lombardy

No rider on the current Garmin-Cervelo rider roster has ever won one of these races.

I know that.
    But to suggest that there's no one on the GC roster capable of a win in one of the monuments is wrong in my view. As of last week, you would hardly have put Saxo Bank up there as a team capable of winning one of the monuments. If past/recent monument winners is the benchmark, then we should have Vacansoleil, Lampre and Astana as classics super squads.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    I know that.
    But to suggest that there's no one on the GC roster capable of a win in one of the monuments is wrong in my view. As of last week, you would hardly have put Saxo Bank up there as a team capable of winning one of the monuments. If past/recent monument winners is the benchmark, then we should have Vacansoleil, Lampre and Astana as classics super squads.

I didn't claim that though. My point was that for all this talk of the strength in depth of the Garmin-Cervelo classics squad, the complete lack of a single monument winner showed that talk up for what it was.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    andyp wrote:
    I know that.

I didn't claim that though. My point was that for all this talk of the strength in depth of the Garmin-Cervelo classics squad, the complete lack of a single monument winner showed that talk up for what it was.

You're right..................all talk.