Garmin Cervelo - Too Many Cooks ?

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I too was confused by JV's call at the time.

But with limited riders in the lead group, you are all right, he had no cards left to play.

The BMC chase brought back Canc and Chav much quicker than I had anticipated. I honestly though old Fabian was holding back.

What a ride by Chavanel though. Defensive tactics they might have been, but you can only imagine how hard it is to just keep up with Cancellara.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    smithy21 wrote:
    I think it's a few things.

1) No clear leader - always tricky in Flanders. It helps to have a focal point for the rest of the team. To make sure that, whatever happens, this guy is where he needs to be.

2) Haussler is unlikely to find his '09 form....

3) Hushovd is only really interested in Roubaix and the Tour.

4) Farrar is ultimately a pure sprinter who has a bit of strength - rather than a strong man who has a sprint - which is more useful for the ronde.

I agree with this.

I really dont understand why Haussler is even mentioned as a potential winner of these sorts of races. I dont think he is even close.

Harsh. He was pretty close in 2009, leading home the bunch behind Devolder for 2nd place. 2nd place at Milan San Remo (by the width of a tyre) also not to be sniffed at. Sure, he's not as good as 2009, but has had a hard tome with injuries.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462

Wrong Andy. I never criticised JV for not chasing, I critised him for telling Tyler Farrar to race for third which is something else completely.

I'd be interested to know what position Nuyens was in the Peloton/Group at that precise time when JV made that call.

If any in Garmin was around Nuyens at that time....well that says a lot more then I can post.

Vaughters told Farrar to save himself for the sprint, whether that was for third or first. They had no domestiques left, so Farrar could have ridden for Hushovd, or vice versa, but one man isn't going to do much so they chose to leave any work to other teams with more riders. Tactically that's spot on, but Vaughters had no other choice.
  • andyp

Harsh. He was pretty close in 2009, leading home the bunch behind Devolder for 2nd place. 2nd place at Milan San Remo (by the width of a tyre) also not to be sniffed at. Sure, he's not as good as 2009, but has had a hard tome with injuries.

Like Boonen then? He was present and correct yesterday, so how does that excuse Haussler?
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Why no Millar - he's shown well in the classics in recent years - is he ill/injured ?

Anyone know the answer to this? Presumably something is wrong with him because he had an impressive Ronde last season. It's not as if they've sent him to Pays Basque either...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    stfc1 wrote:
    Why no Millar - he's shown well in the classics in recent years - is he ill/injured ?

Anyone know the answer to this? Presumably something is wrong with him because he had an impressive Ronde last season. It's not as if they've sent him to Pays Basque either...

Some guys said in another part of the forum that he's been injured/ill.

I asked the very same question during the driedaagse.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    stfc1 wrote:

Some guys said in another part of the forum that he's been injured/ill.

I asked the very same question during the driedaagse.

He'd originally planned on riding RvV but is on the sick-list.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    stfc1 wrote:

Slow start to the season, he had an easier winter and besides, it's a lot harder to track the team. He won in De Panne last year but is aiming for success in the Giro and Tour this year.
  • rick_chasey
    Kléber wrote:
    stfc1 wrote:

Slow start to the season, he had an easier winter and besides, it's a lot harder to track the team. He won in De Panne last year but is aiming for success in the Giro and Tour this year.

S'a shame.
  • pedro118118
    andyp wrote:

Like Boonen then? He was present and correct yesterday, so how does that excuse Haussler?

Who mentioned excuses? My point was, as a rider, who has podium'd at two monuments (very nearly winning one of them) and ridden well at Roubaix in the recent past, to dismiss him as not worthy of mention was harsh. I agree he doesn't have the form at the moment, though. That said, he wasn't the only 'big name' suffering again on Sunday...
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    Hushovd does not look happy,Haussler is still not back to full fitness and is perhaps overrated.Farrar is a very good sprinter but next to the big boys is not not in there class.

Even at there best garmin cervelo just don't have a Cancellara or a Boonen or even a Chavanel.Hushovd is there very best chance of winning a spring classic.Paris Roubaix on Sunday is now a make or break race for the whole team,and its only April!

Some how they might have a good result Sunday.Hushord is strong in Paris Roubaix and the team have only one option,support Hushovd and hope he will be in great shape.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    just a thought, might Garmins no needles policy be reducing the Cervelo chaps performance this year? just a thought thats all.......
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    vision267 wrote:
    Farrar is a very good sprinter but next to the big boys is not not in there class.

Do you mean big boys in the classics?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    vision267 wrote:
    Hushovd does not look happy,Haussler is still not back to full fitness and is perhaps overrated.Farrar is a very good sprinter but next to the big boys is not not in there class.

Even at there best garmin cervelo just don't have a Cancellara or a Boonen or even a Chavanel.Hushovd is there very best chance of winning a spring classic.Paris Roubaix on Sunday is now a make or break race for the whole team,and its only April!

Bit harsh surely. Farrar could easily end the season with a clutch of grand tour stage wins, Hushovd could bag some and a points jersey or two, still sprinter friendly classics to come, compared to a lot of teams they've got a lot to play for still.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • rick_chasey
    vision267 wrote:

Bit harsh surely. Farrar could easily end the season with a clutch of grand tour stage wins, Hushovd could bag some and a points jersey or two, still sprinter friendly classics to come, compared to a lot of teams they've got a lot to play for still.

They billed themselves as the cobbled classics super-team. On their 2011 performance, they clearly are not.
  • pedro118118
    vision267 wrote:

Some how they might have a good result Sunday.Hushord is strong in Paris Roubaix and the team have only one option,support Hushovd and hope he will be in great shape.

Sure, Garmin have simply underperformed. The reason? Lack of racing miles (Haussler), bad fortune and bad legs (Hushovd) and lack of real top-end ability over 250+kms (Farrar). Let's face it, Cancellara is in a league of his own and Boonen is probably next best. That said, he ain't the force he was and now sits amongst the likes of Flecha, Ballan, Hoste, Pozzato etc. Personally, I would put Hushovd and Haussler amongst that company, when in form.
  • pedro118118
    vision267 wrote:

They billed themselves as the cobbled classics super-team. On their 2011 performance, they clearly are not.

Kinda calls into question the benefit of team strength in depth. When you got a Cancellara, it doesn't really make much of a difference, who's wearing the same jersey in the bunch.
  • rick_chasey
    Kinda calls into question the benefit of team strength in depth. When you got a Cancellara, it doesn't really make much of a difference, who's wearing the same jersey in the bunch.
    It helped QS over the years.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614

Exactly, JV isn't Patrick Lefevre or Wilfried Peeters
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    Monty Dog wrote:

Exactly, JV isn't Patrick Lefevre or Wilfried Peeters

That reminds me: For those who speak Dutch, there's an interesting discussion with Peeters and Decauwer about DS's and race tactics in Sundays ronde here
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    There can only be one explanation, and Farrar's misfortune at Scheldeprijs yesterday confirmed my theory.

Somewhere, deep in, say, Texas, there's a man sticking pins in little plasticine dolls of JV and the entire Garmin-Cervelo team.

He must be stopped.
  • andyp
    Did Garmin really claim they were a Classics super team? Or was that the English speaking press?

They don't have a single monument winner in their line-up.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    Did Garmin really claim they were a Classics super team? Or was that the English speaking press?

The worlds might as well be.
  • pedro118118
    andyp wrote:

...short memories, some people...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    andyp wrote:

I expect one any day now. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • andyp

...short memories, some people...

The five monuments;

Milan-San Remo
    Tour of Flanders
    Paris-Roubiax
    Liege-Bastogne-Liege
    Tour of Lombardy

No rider on the current Garmin-Cervelo rider roster has ever won one of these races.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

Nah, the Texan never won a monument so I would like the Worlds to stay as the Worlds. :wink:
    I do agree however that Cervelo have a World Champion and can now ride the Pro Tour. (World Tour Crap for the Mc Quid Money Box)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    deejay wrote:

Nah, the Texan never won a monument so I would like the Worlds to stay as the Worlds. :wink:
    I do agree however that Cervelo have a World Champion and can now ride the Pro Tour. (World Tour Crap for the Mc Quid Money Box)

The worlds is a bigger win than Lombardy, for sure.
  • andyp
    The Worlds is bigger than even Flanders, Rick.

I don't see how you can claim that the presence of the rainbow jersey in the Garmin-Cervelo team makes them the best Classics team in the world, especially as a) Hushovd was a Cervelo Test Team rider when he won it and b) the Worlds field is drawn from national teams, not trade teams.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    The Worlds is bigger than even Flanders, Rick.

Nuh uh....

As the saying goes "Anyone who can win Flanders can win the worlds"

Doesn't work the other way around.

:P