Paris Roubaix

13»

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    You cannot win it in the Arenberg as you can only lose it there.
    From that point it becomes regroupment and the work horses take the strain until the next couple of sections over the railway crossing and two towers (which can crack a cars oil sump).

Sean Yates said it years ago that after Orchiers the real action starts.
    With a feed station just before and the new section (which the motorbike ran into the crowd) and through the town onto Auchy-Lez-Orchies (1700m)
    Will Spartacus have the courage to go here again. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    From that point it becomes regroupment and the work horses take the strain until the next couple of sections over the railway crossing and two towers (which can crack a cars oil sump).

Those two sectors, Wallers (with the rainway crossing) and Hornaing (with the two water towers) aren't being used this year with the new sector after Arenberg at Millonfosse.

Shame, I like quite like them as you can see the section at Wallers in A Sunday in Hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWTj6H2KKr4
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:

Those two sectors, Wallers (with the rainway crossing) and Hornaing (with the two water towers) aren't being used this year with the new sector after Arenberg at Millonfosse.

Shame, I like quite like them as you can see the section at Wallers in A Sunday in Hell.
    Too many car sumps, ???
    So that will be the last of the "Real Pave" then like the Koppenberg cop out.

ee by gum lud, they were real men in the old days. yeh,yeh A Sunday in Hell and I remember most roads were pave especially in the towns.
    Even in the late sixty's the Paris Buses still had Solid Tyres and the Toilet was a hole in the floor with two foot prints to stand on. (talk about splash your boots)
  • deejay wrote:
    Too many car sumps, ???

You can usually hear alot of sumps getting scraped where the route crosses the main road at Troisville. Maybe they need to remove that sector as well. Or maybe just slow down a bit?

:D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deejay wrote:
    Too many car sumps, ???

ee by gum lud, they were real men in the old days. yeh,yeh A Sunday in Hell and I remember most roads were pave especially in the towns.
    Even in the late sixty's the Paris Buses still had Solid Tyres and the Toilet was a hole in the floor with two foot prints to stand on. (talk about splash your boots)

Back in those days they didn't even use Arenberg. It was first used in 1968. As a race it's probably unique in having worse roads now than it did 50 years ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Back in those days they didn't even use Arenberg. It was first used in 1968. As a race it's probably unique in having worse roads now than it did 50 years ago.

Bah, doesn't even start in Paris!

:D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Roelandts made a good point - that if it is as hot as predicted in Roubaix then getting hold of water bottles is going to be very tricky. He says he'll need a bottle every half hour.

I know guys like Flecha, Haussler and Boonen (particularly) don't like it when it gets very very hot.
  • denzity
    denzity Posts: 4
    What's the average peloton speed after Arenberg? I'll be watching it from there but then thinking of racing them back to the velodrome. They have 86km to travel and I only have 42, so if I go flat out do you think it's possible to make it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow today's photos show a ton of dust.

And someone cleaning them.
    AP
    ap-7612602cb51d401b9d94932b708579f0.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • denzity wrote:
    What's the average peloton speed after Arenberg? I'll be watching it from there but then thinking of racing them back to the velodrome. They have 86km to travel and I only have 42, so if I go flat out do you think it's possible to make it?

Yes.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

AP
    ap-7612602cb51d401b9d94932b708579f0.jpg

Boo! Spoilsports.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    So, what about Cav on sunday - dark horse, with all the pressure on everyone else, or will he climb off at the first feed station, complaining of a bruised @rse? He certainly meets the minimu weight requirements. :wink:
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • deejay
    afx237vi wrote:

Boo! Spoilsports.
    No, No if you take her away then you should also take 80% of the motorbikes away also.
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:

Yes I forgot.
    I see that Millonfosse section is right next to the Main A 23 Motorway.
    denzity wrote:
    thinking of racing them back to the velodrome.
    so if I go flat out do you think it's possible to make it?
    Not sure about the race in a Grid Lock you will encounter or how close to the velodrome you will get.
    A Summers Day will bring many, many more people to the course, whereas on a cold windy wet day there would be slightly less.

Please let us know how your journey pans out on the direct A23 motorway. (unless you are going via Belgium)
    Interest about cars parking on the verge on this road between Arenberg and Orchies and a couple of cross overs near Ennevelin.
    I have a feeling the Police are going to be strict through this part.
  • RichN95.
    A good preview from the (generally very good) Pave3 blog: http://www.pavepavepave.com/2011/04/08/ ... x-preview/

In summary, he goes for:

***** - Cancellara, Husovd, Leukemans
    **** - Boonen, Ballan, Flecha
    *** - Hincapie, Chavanel, Pozzato, Haussler
    ** - Thomas, Langeveld

But, he predicts that a second string rider will win. I think he may be right.

Come on Geraint! (The only Whitchurch person I'll be cheering for on Sunday).
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I freaking HATE sky but Eurosport HD is tops :)

Wow, you really are Napoleon !

Tina, come get some ham...
  • RichN95 wrote:
    A good preview from the (generally very good) Pave3 blog: http://www.pavepavepave.com/2011/04/08/ ... x-preview/

In summary, he goes for:

***** - Cancellara, Husovd, Leukemans
    **** - Boonen, Ballan, Flecha
    *** - Hincapie, Chavanel, Pozzato, Haussler
    ** - Thomas, Langeveld

But, he predicts that a second string rider will win. I think he may be right.

Come on Geraint! (The only Whitchurch person I'll be cheering for on Sunday).

Isn't Leukemans just such a rider? :twisted:
  • RichN95.

Isn't Leukemans just such a rider? :twisted:

Not within Vacansoleil. I'm just reporting, not commenting.
  • deejay wrote:

Just been out today for a spin and rode the sector at Wallers, all covered in gravel, you have to get back the old railway bridge before your on pave! Think there is some construction work going on?

Also the motorway exit to Arenberg is closed tomorrow, think it will be much easier to use the A23 because of this.

But didn't seem that dusty to me, not like 2007. But wind was kinda fun. Flew along the sector at Haveluy!
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:
    So, what about Cav on sunday - dark horse, with all the pressure on everyone else, or will he climb off at the first feed station, complaining of a bruised @rse? He certainly meets the minimu weight requirements. :wink:

The only time you'll see Cav on Sunday will be if he's flying off the back somewhere, or crashing.

If I was his DS I wouldn't be starting him.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Quickstep on their Roubaix recce
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JoM1IBgL6I
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • frenchfighter
    Chavanel then Gilbert then Geraint. The guys I'm rooting for.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    To whet the appetite here is the full length SUNDAY IN HELL on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4IDCkcnnHg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462

Is Gilbert riding? I thought he was skipping this to focus on the Ardennes races?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

Is Gilbert riding? I thought he was skipping this to focus on the Ardennes races?

Quite right.

Omega Pharma-Lotto
    51. André Greipel (All); 52. Jens Debusschere; 53. Adam Hansen (Aus); 55. Maarten Neyens; 56. Vicente Reynes (Esp); 57. Jurgen Roelandts; 58. Marcel Sieberg (All); 60 David Boucher (Fr
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    Of course didn't even check the startlists until last night. I guess he is the man for Liege and you can't ride Roubaix as a top contender and be there at the front end of LBL.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Rick will be a very unhappy bunny, I think.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Are Leopard-Trek becoming the Man Utd of cycling?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    Rick will be a very unhappy bunny, I think.

Yeah.

It would have been a very different race, and a more conventional Roubaix had he not had his problems.

Boonen's happy to race unlike Ballan, and, most likely would have made the Hushovd Ballan, Cancellara selection.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Edited to new post of pics
    so many cols,so little time!