Paris Roubaix

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Well, it's all I'm thinking about now!

So will Cancellara bounce back and give everyone a spanking? Will Garmin Cervelo race for 1st? Will Boonen come back to something like his old self? Can G-Man do better than his ride today and maybe even win? OK, maybe getting a bit carried away with the last one there.

Can't wait!

:D

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Boonen will be better in Roubaix than he was in Flanders - I'm sure of it.

Whether that's good enough is another matter.

Anyone think Cancellara peaked too early? At his best at E3?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The best riders can ride amazing over many races. So peaking is not really an issue for Cancellara I don't think. Last year he was top for a decent period.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Yep Cancellara is a True Champion (tm) and normal rules of physiology don't apply to him :lol:
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Wonder what stellar tactics Garmin will adopt for this one.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777

I think he just attacked too early. In Roubaix he will better be able to hold off his chasers, because he's better suited to the terrain, however the lack of bergs will also mean a more difficult task of breaking away.
  • csp wrote:
    I think he just attacked too early. In Roubaix he will better be able to hold off his chasers, because he's better suited to the terrain, however the lack of bergs will also mean a more difficult task of breaking away.

Think it was a combination of things. Maybe going too early, not getting enough to drink which then lead to cramping on the Kapelmuur and also BMC chasing. As Cancellara said, he can't beat 6 men! Not sure if he has peaked too early, might have. But think he will change his tactics, maybe not go for such a long attack, wait for the 20km or so? Lots of "good" sectors around there!
  • Just looked at the forecast for next weekend (as accurate as that can be?) and looks very warm for April, 17 deg! Might be in for another dust bowl like 2007!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The forecast on Friday for today in Flanders was wet!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The forecast on Friday for today in Flanders was wet!

Yeah, exactly!

:D
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245

I was thinking that, i sort of played with that thought after san remo. Plus it's Cancellara vs the rest of the field this season but he still seems to have a unnatural talent for floating across the cobbles.

Can't wait though, £3.99 eurosport player well spent.
  • Will.C wrote:

I was very disappointed with it today, kept freezing whilst it was buffering. Switched to a "free" Eurosport link from Cyclingfans which worked perfectly to the end of the race. Explain that one?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    After today I can't wait for next Sunday :D

And my new bike will be built next Saturday so it's a double whammy for me.

I think Fabian will be very tough to beat. I think he might save his attack for the last 25-30 Km.

Also with it being flatter I think that might help him.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Will.C wrote:

I was very disappointed with it today, kept freezing whilst it was buffering. Switched to a "free" Eurosport link from Cyclingfans which worked perfectly to the end of the race. Explain that one?

I can't, sorry, i don't work for them :( .

Mine seemed alright though, kept freezing then buffering but I put that down having a shoddy line living out in the sticks. I did only catch the last 80km though so may be was playing up before i joined?
  • Will.C wrote:
    I can't, sorry, i don't work for them :( .

Mine seemed alright though, kept freezing then buffering but I put that down having a shoddy line living out in the sticks. I did only catch the last 80km though so may be was playing up before i joined?

Yeah, I had given up well before 80km to go. I'll try again with something else, signed up for a month after all!
  • mattsy666
    mattsy666 Posts: 91
    I hear Sky or Virgin work faultlessly month after month ...

I can only assume the only reason your wives didn't get their engagement rings from QVC is your too cheap to be able to watch ... Lesson to be learnt?
  • mattsy666 wrote:

I can only assume the only reason your wives didn't get their engagement rings from QVC is your too cheap to be able to watch ... Lesson to be learnt?

Gosh, well that's put me straight. I can only apologise to all Bike Forum members for not purchasing Sky.

Impressed you know so much about me. Except that I'm not married. But then what woman would want to marry a cheapskate like me!

:roll:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    mattsy666 wrote:

Gosh, well that's put me straight. I can only apologise to all Bike Forum members for not purchasing Sky.

Impressed you know so much about me. Except that I'm not married. But then what woman would want to marry a cheapskate like me!

:roll:

You should get Sky, QVC do mail order wives on a Tuesday afternoon ;)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I admit I only get cable TV for the cycling - sometimes wonder if it's worth it but 4 hours high definition today would have been cheap at twice the price.

Didn't think Cancellera would win today - though he got a lot closer to it than I expected - I reckon he'll do it at P-R though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I admit I only get cable TV for the cycling - sometimes wonder if it's worth it but 4 hours high definition today would have been cheap at twice the price.

Don't bother paying -
    Stick a dish on the side of your house and then get a digital satellite receiver for, for example, RAI Sport 2, which would have you watching a good few hours of the race (plus many others) or an old analogue receiver which would get access to International Eurosport which was live from 11:30 right to the finish.
    All for a free monthly cost.
    RAI did muck around with their Sunday live coverage switching between RAI Sport 2 and RAI 3 but at least they had a good few hours of it and, if you can understand Italian, the commentators are pretty good.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The teams will have got Fab's strategy even more sussed for next Sunday I reckon - BMC and Saxo will be sitting-on for sure. For anyone who know's the P-Rx course, leaving it to 25-30km to go is probably too late because there are no hard sectors to force the selection - somewhere between Mons en Pevele and Carrefour is the most likely spot. First race of the season this Sunday afternoon - will set up the Virgin box and watch every minute from Troisville onwards.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have to say that it was great in HD on the Sky box. I freaking HATE sky but Eurosport HD is tops :)

Not a clue who's going to win. Would like to see the Rainbow Stripes do well...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Have to say that it was great in HD on the Sky box. I freaking HATE sky but Eurosport HD is tops :)

I hope we're not thinking that was real HD for Flanders....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited April 2011
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The teams will have got Fab's strategy even more sussed for next Sunday I reckon - BMC and Saxo will be sitting-on for sure. For anyone who know's the P-Rx course, leaving it to 25-30km to go is probably too late because there are no hard sectors to force the selection - somewhere between Mons en Pevele and Carrefour is the most likely spot. First race of the season this Sunday afternoon - will set up the Virgin box and watch every minute from Troisville onwards.

I would suggest that 25-30km would be a great place to go. There are 5 sectors just after Cysoing which total 7.4km over 12km. Camphin-en-Pévèle and Carrefour de l'Arbre are pretty rough, maybe not as bad as Mons en Pevele, but they're all pretty open, as is the sector to Gruson. Perfect if your strong enough after 230km of racing!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Why hate Sky? They provide choice, and top quality coverage. When you think back to the old BBC/ITV coverage of sport it was completely lacking innovation. Every Wimbledon the BBC would tell us how great they were, you only had to watch imported US Open coverage to know what rubbish that was. Watching French coverage of the Arc showed what could be done with horse racing coverage. I don't like the cost of Sky but you have a choice.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

No, but I do seem to remember Roubaix being in HD last year, or did I just dream it?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

No, but I do seem to remember Roubaix being in HD last year, or did I just dream it?

Nope. P-R will be in proper HD.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Not a clue who's going to win. Would like to see the Rainbow Stripes do well...

Yup, I'd like to see that as well!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Nope. P-R will be in proper HD.

Excellent! Suffering is always best in HD.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Garmin seemed to have taken-over as the most over-hyped classic team - they might write good PR but they'd be better spent on developing race strategies. With JV calling team tactics it's unlikely to happen - they might 'waste' Hammond in an early break or get Farrar to ignominiously 'lead' the sprint in the groupetto, but there's no way we'll see Hushovd doing the jersey justice like Boonen resplendent in the rainbow stripes striking for home 50km to go.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Garmin seemed to have taken-over as the most over-hyped classic team - they might write good PR but they'd be better spent on developing race strategies. With JV calling team tactics it's unlikely to happen - they might 'waste' Hammond in an early break or get Farrar to ignominiously 'lead' the sprint in the groupetto, but there's no way we'll see Hushovd doing the jersey justice like Boonen resplendent in the rainbow stripes striking for home 50km to go.

Indeed > I've said it before - Hushovd is like a 95% Boonen.