Paris Roubaix

Comments

• Monty Dog wrote:
    Garmin seemed to have taken-over as the most over-hyped classic team - they might write good PR but they'd be better spent on developing race strategies. With JV calling team tactics it's unlikely to happen - they might 'waste' Hammond in an early break or get Farrar to ignominiously 'lead' the sprint in the groupetto, but there's no way we'll see Hushovd doing the jersey justice like Boonen resplendent in the rainbow stripes striking for home 50km to go.

Don't you mean 30km?

:D
  • Weather forecast is still saying sunny and now 20 deg! Looks like we'll be seeing this again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGMQ--_wUM
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    :shock: that looks like fun

Not
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Garmin seemed to have taken-over as the most over-hyped classic team - they might write good PR but they'd be better spent on developing race strategies. With JV calling team tactics it's unlikely to happen - they might 'waste' Hammond in an early break or get Farrar to ignominiously 'lead' the sprint in the groupetto, but there's no way we'll see Hushovd doing the jersey justice like Boonen resplendent in the rainbow stripes striking for home 50km to go.

Indeed > I've said it before - Hushovd is like a 95% Boonen.

But Boonen is only 90% of what he was previously, so is Thor really only an 85.5% Boonen?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    LangerDan wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Indeed > I've said it before - Hushovd is like a 95% Boonen.

But Boonen is only 90% of what he was previously, so is Thor really only an 85.5% Boonen?

'05 was special, but I have a feeling Boonen will be 'super' in Roubaix.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Weather forecast is still saying sunny and now 20 deg! Looks like we'll be seeing this again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGMQ--_wUM

Note to self. Stand on upwind side of road.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Anyone think Cancellara peaked too early? At his best at E3?
    As soon as I saw how good he sprinted at the end of MSR I thought he'd peaked too early for the double.
    Also,as others have said,the whole peloton know his tactics,& the other DS's will surely have read the riot act to their teams
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Anyone think Cancellara peaked too early? At his best at E3?
    As soon as I saw how good he sprinted at the end of MSR I thought he'd peaked too early for the double.
    Also,as others have said,the whole peloton know his tactics,& the other DS's will surely have read the riot act to their teams

I played with that thought also, he did seem to look very strong for San Remo considering he was targeting the cobbles 2? weeks after.....but then again maybe Cancellara is just head and shoulders above the rest that when he's finding his form it's comparable with everyone elses top form?

I think roubaix is much better suited to him than flanders, and he was effectively chased down by a whole team last week, i can't see a whole team lasting together 50 k to go to chase an attack, should be interesting.
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    Will.C wrote:
    Will.C wrote:
    Can't wait though, £3.99 eurosport player well spent.

I was very disappointed with it today, kept freezing whilst it was buffering. Switched to a "free" Eurosport link from Cyclingfans which worked perfectly to the end of the race. Explain that one?

I can't, sorry, i don't work for them :( .

Mine seemed alright though, kept freezing then buffering but I put that down having a shoddy line living out in the sticks. I did only catch the last 80km though so may be was playing up before i joined?

The Eurosport player has gone down hill since last year. I didn´t have any problems last year and this year its very hit and mis
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
  • rick_chasey
    Alright guys, (tarrot) cards on the table.

How's this one going to pan out?

It looks like a dry one which I recon makes it less predictable...

Who's going to make the final selection, who will be in it, and where will it occur?
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    Alright guys, (tarrot) cards on the table.

Who's going to make the final selection, who will be in it, and where will it occur?

Cancellara first, second and third no idea. Its going to be a good one thats for sure

Gav
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Looks like Big George might be sitting it out.
  • Alright guys, (tarrot) cards on the table.

I would think that more or less the same favourites as last weekend will be there or there abouts, Cancellara, Boonen, Flecha, Thomas, Pozzato, Ballan, etc. Not sure about Gilbert and Chavanel, are either as good at Roubaix as Flanders? Final sort out on the sectors around the Carrefour d' La Arbre.

Or...

The favourites will mark each other out and a small group of favourites will go away much earlier.

Or...

I just don't know! Hoping it will be as good as last weekend!

• rick_chasey
    Is Gilbert even riding Roubaix? I thought he normally skipped it?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    It'll be interesting to see how the course changes shape the race. ASO have introduced a couple of new sections of cobbles shortly after the Arenberg forest, which itself is closer to the finish by 15 kms or so this year, which could see the team leaders left on their own at the head of the race with 80 kms to go.

Any team which comes out of this phase of the race with more than a couple of riders could have the upper hand, assuming they are tactically savvy.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    My guess is that Gilbert will not ride P-R : he's down for La Flèche Brabançonne
    http://www.omegapharma-lotto.be/site201 ... lectid=117
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see how the course changes shape the race. ASO have introduced a couple of new sections of cobbles shortly after the Arenberg forest, which itself is closer to the finish by 15 kms or so this year, which could see the team leaders left on their own at the head of the race with 80 kms to go.

Any team which comes out of this phase of the race with more than a couple of riders could have the upper hand, assuming they are tactically savvy.

Andy - I think the race will, as ever, start at the Arenberg.

I think moving it closer by 10 or so KM will just reduce the size of that gap post Arenberg where we take breath and stock of who did and didn't survive it, and will probably slightly reduce the people who make it back into the main front group ost Arenberg.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    I agree the race will start there. But will these two new sectors, one of which is just 6 kms after the end of the Arenberg, could see less of a regrouping than before. If say Sky, had 4 men in the front group after the Arenberg, they could use one of them to keep the pressure on over the next sector to ensure those caught behind remain there.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2011
    The only downside to Roubaix vesus Flanders, and i've said this before - because the cobbles are more frequent, numerous and are more a process of wearing down rather than being selective in their own right, (bar a few crucial sections - naturally), is that you don't quite get that same "hold your breath they're about to hit it" moments apart from the Arenberg. Even the Carrefour de l'Arbre section doesn't have that build it. It's cobbles, road, cobbles road cobbles, oh! it's Carrefour! carnage - selection.

That and, from a pure cycling perspective, luck palys as big a role as tactics.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    To me the difference between Flanders and Roubaix is a bit like the difference between shagging a blonde or a brunette. They look different but they are both bloody good fun!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    To me the difference between Flanders and Roubaix is a bit like the difference between shagging a blonde or a brunette. They look different but they are both bloody good fun!

...although not necessarily for the blonde or brunette of course inky.

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Does that make Gent-Wevelgem a ginger? Still good fun, but you're not really going to brag about it to your mates.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Weylandt checks out the Roubaix course, despite his fall yesterday. They breed them tough in North West Europe:

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... 7_Weylandt
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    tim000 wrote:

Top man,

I am having an extension built at the moment and have had to empty my living room, I could not get the satelite dish cables extended round to the room we are holed up in whilst the builders works are going on so this will ease my pain.

Link of the year
  • The only downside to Roubaix vesus Flanders, and i've said this before - because the cobbles are more frequent, numerous and are more a process of wearing down rather than being selective in their own right, (bar a few crucial sections - naturally), is that you don't quite get that same "hold your breath they're about to hit it" moments apart from the Arenberg. Even the Carrefour de l'Arbre section doesn't have that build it. It's cobbles, road, cobbles road cobbles, oh! it's Carrefour! carnage - selection.

I hope your not suggesting that Flanders is the better race!

• rick_chasey
    The only downside to Roubaix vesus Flanders, and i've said this before - because the cobbles are more frequent, numerous and are more a process of wearing down rather than being selective in their own right, (bar a few crucial sections - naturally), is that you don't quite get that same "hold your breath they're about to hit it" moments apart from the Arenberg. Even the Carrefour de l'Arbre section doesn't have that build it. It's cobbles, road, cobbles road cobbles, oh! it's Carrefour! carnage - selection.

I hope your not suggesting that Flanders is the better race!

Ah Roubaix is more exciting more of the time - but as I get better at reading races and I buy into the excessive Flandrian hype I get more exited by Flanders nowadays.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    bilirubin wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

Top man,

I am having an extension built at the moment and have had to empty my living room, I could not get the satelite dish cables extended round to the room we are holed up in whilst the builders works are going on so this will ease my pain.

Link of the year

How did you allow this to happen. It's a bit like the old Bill Shankly story, when supposedly he took his wife to a football match for their wedding anniversary. When questioned Bill said the story was stupid, he would never have married in the during the season.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    dougzz wrote:
    bilirubin wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

Top man,

Link of the year

How did you allow this to happen. It's a bit like the old Bill Shankly story, when supposedly he took his wife to a football match for their wedding anniversary. When questioned Bill said the story was stupid, he would never have married in the during the season.

Ha, ha, nice one, I had to go for it whilst we had the chance of good weather which it has been. If I had left it till after the cycling season it could have been a long winter.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    so will that link work for highlights? where would be the best place to watch it for those of us who can't get 4 hours in front of the telly doing nowt cos they have a 4 month old nipper
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight