out of dish

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You're not using your wheel measuring tool properly. It is apparent that there is a difference in the wheels, yet you claim they both measure the same.
    Get them dished by someone who knows what they're doing.
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    edited April 2011
    You're not using your wheel measuring tool properly. It is apparent that there is a difference in the wheels, yet you claim they both measure the same.

its hard to explain, i have to adjust the tool to different setting for both wheels. both wheels have the same end result. NO gap on dishing tool, even though if you put the tool at one wheel setting onto the other they would not read the same because the wheels are not the same. when i check the dish and adjust the tool accordingly for both wheels on seperate occasions there is no gap so wheels are dished fine. no?

so both wheels when dished are dished to suit that wheel, the tool has no gap when checking dish on both wheels. how can it be wrong lol

this isnt easy to explain, perhaps some simple pictures would be best.
  • Anonymous
  • supafly1982

not them, one wheel. sure i will get a profesional oppinion but considering ther nearest place is 40 miles away i cant do it soon, work, college and a baby arriving in the next couple weeks,

sure its most likely me thats the problem since im new and doing it al by my self but i checked one wheel (the fulcrum, which was bought built) with the gauge, it was dished fine, i check the other wheel (sunringle problem wheel) using the same technique, adjust the tool accordingly, same result as fulcrum.......no gap :lol: but yet it wont sit central in the forks.

i give up with this thread for now, when i get the chance i will post how i fooked up or what was wrong.
  • Anonymous
    why are you adjusting the tool? what is the adjustment taking into account? The centre of the rim should be central between the ends of the axle where the fork sits.
  • supafly1982
    adjusting the tool. i did this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsYzsRLwB5U
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my own build front wheel does not sit central in forks if set up as dished true. this is a disk wheel. When dished 'correctly', rim central to axle, the wheel is offset in the forks. When central to the forks, the dish is well out.

so I've compromised, wheel central in fork, dish is out.

Wheel is still true after fully loaded touring last year.

My LBS tells me this happens frequently and he sets wheel to be central to forks/frame.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Much as it pains me to agree with Yeehaa about anything, if the wheel isn't central it cannot possibly be dished correctly. As the tool is simple, one can only assume operator error.
    Without re-reading the entire thread (I can't risk it as I've run out of disprin) you do realise that the degree of dishing will be different on each side of the wheel?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Dude, you agree with almost everything I say.
  • cooldad
    Only those odd occasions when you are lucid.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • andrewjoseph
    cooldad wrote:
    ... you do realise that the degree of dishing will be different on each side of the wheel?

but only if the rim is central to the hub and he has disk/cassette. A front wheel 'should' be central to the forks.

For example, a road rim brake front wheel should have no dishing and be central in the forks.

For a disk brake front wheel, there probably will be some dishing required to ensure the wheel is central in the forks, but not central to the axle/hub.
    --
  • Anonymous
    For a disk brake front wheel, there probably will be some dishing required
    There's no "probably" about it.
    A wheel's rim should be central to the hub, regardless of whether it's a front, rear, disc or rim brake wheel.
  • supafly1982
    my own build front wheel does not sit central in forks if set up as dished true. this is a disk wheel. When dished 'correctly', rim central to axle, the wheel is offset in the forks. When central to the forks, the dish is well out.

so I've compromised, wheel central in fork, dish is out.

Wheel is still true after fully loaded touring last year.

My LBS tells me this happens frequently and he sets wheel to be central to forks/frame.

you see Cooldad, i am on to something here, operator error indeed, go buy some disprin and get reading ;)
  • andrewjoseph
    For a disk brake front wheel, there probably will be some dishing required
    There's no "probably" about it.
    A wheel's rim should be central to the hub, regardless of whether it's a front, rear, disc or rim brake wheel.

Dish and central to hub may depend on rim hole offset. A dishless diskbrake wheel is possible, depending on rim.
    --
  • cooldad
    Bloody hell enough already. The wheel should be central in the forks. If it's not it's wrong. End of.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supafly1982
    cooldad wrote:
    Bloody hell enough already. The wheel should be central in the forks. If it's not it's wrong. End of.

and if its central in the forks its out of dish, thats the whole point of the thread or did you miss ALL that part :lol:

just out of curiosity cooldad, do you build wheels or dish & true them?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For a disk brake front wheel, there probably will be some dishing required to ensure the wheel is central in the forks, but not central to the axle/hub.

The process of dishing places the rim central to the axle, not the hub shell (this is the whole point). If the fork is straight (and the axle is not bent), it will sit in the centre of the fork too.

But as you say, front rim braked wheels with omnidirectional hubs will have the rim centre to the hub shell, but you still need to use a dish tool to ensure it is there.

You can get frames with offsets that reduce or eliminate the 'dishing' required because of the freehub body/disc mounts, and problems associated with that dishing.

Offset rims reduce the angle and spoke length difference from one side to the other. Even though, the rim still has to sit centrally to the axle (ie middle of OLD). You use the dishing tool the same way.

Many frames and forks however are not perfectly aligned, and you may get a difference when a wheel that is centred with the dishing tool sits offset in the fork/frame. You can adjust for this if you want.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

and if its central in the forks its out of dish, thats the whole point of the thread or did you miss ALL that part :lol:

just out of curiosity cooldad, do you build wheels or dish & true them?

Without rehashing what SS said, I think you are confusing dishing correctly with dishing centrally on the hub, which would be correct for a front rim brake, but incorrect for a rear or front disc hub.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So to sum up. tevery thing is fin with one set of wheels.

another set (used) are offset by 6mm.

did they come off a fork that required a zero dish wheel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supafly1982
    nicklouse wrote:
    So to sum up. tevery thing is fin with one set of wheels.

another set (used) are offset by 6mm.

did they come off a fork that required a zero dish wheel?

they are the rims that came with the cube, but the cube is second hand and has coloured nipples so its posseble the wheel was disasembled and rebuilt