Ronde van Vlaanderen

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    The position of the team car in a Flemish race isn't much of an issue for a Belgian team, as they'll have friends and family members placed with spare wheels at all the important places to aid the riders.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    andyp wrote:
    The position of the team car in a Flemish race isn't much of an issue for a Belgian team, as they'll have friends and family members placed with spare wheels at all the important places to aid the riders.

But as Rick pointed out Boonen waited a long time for a new wheel in GW
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    andyp wrote:

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.990788

@ 50 seconds.

Boonen had to wait 1min30 for his car...
  • andyp
    Ronde van Vlaanderen > Gent-Wevelgem.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    Ronde van Vlaanderen > Gent-Wevelgem.

You see my point though...
  • andyp
    Yes, of course. But if Boonen lost the chance to contest the win at RVV due to a poor wheel change there would be a national outrage. Given the nature of the RVV course, it's a lot easier to have wheels available at the top of each climb than in G-W.
  • andyp wrote:
    Yes, of course. But if Boonen lost the chance to contest the win at RVV due to a poor wheel change there would be a national outrage. Given the nature of the RVV course, it's a lot easier to have wheels available at the top of each climb than in G-W.

And if he punctures at the bottom?

Interesting to see how far down Katusha will be. Mind you, don't think as many would be so worried if Pozzato punctured.

:D
  • andyp

And if he punctures at the bottom?

The team car can deal with that more easily. Many of the climbs are off route for the team cars as they get stuck on them, block riders behind, etc so if a rider punctures on or near the top of the climbs they need a wheel from a helper.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    are they allowed to have spare wheels by the road now? Wasn't there some stupid rule about spare bikes etc along the road because of the silyl fuss over Chinny and his motorbike?

Is this rule still inplace?
  • andyp wrote:
    The team car can deal with that more easily. Many of the climbs are off route for the team cars as they get stuck on them, block riders behind, etc so if a rider punctures on or near the top of the climbs they need a wheel from a helper.

But it's how long it takes to get to him. Also it takes more energy for team mates to get food or drink from a car that's so far back, which could mean less help later in the race.
  • rick_chasey
    between 700,000 and 800,000 spectators expected on race-day!
  • between 700,000 and 800,000 spectators expected on race-day!

Not so many then? First year I went ('06) they estimated there were a million!

• rick_chasey

Police estimate this year will be a record,between 700,000 and 800,000.....

I think maybe people had a few too many beers when they were counting :wink:
  • I think maybe people had a few too many beers when they were counting :wink:

Boonen wins in World Champs jersey, can't see why anyone might have had a few too many beers?

• Leopard Trek's team for Sunday doesn't look too strong and they'll have a hell of a job on their hands.

And I'm sure we'll see teams working together against Cancellara, but I wonder how coordinated they'll be...
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    He is strong enough to do that on both flat and cobbled climb as he proved last year on two succesive Sundays

Don't think it's that simple. If you take last year's Roubaix, when he attacked everyone else just looked at Boonen. Next thing he has a reasonable gap and then nobody wants to chase.
    ?

Actually some times it is that simple and that was one of those times he was strong enough to get a gap and hold it,nobody ellse in the field was strong enough to do anything similiar. Boonen et al can say what they want afterwards but the hard facts were he was strong enough to ride away from the favourites and hold it for 40ks or whatever it was.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub

Police estimate this year will be a record,between 700,000 and 800,000.....

I think maybe people had a few too many beers when they were counting :wink:

Always get a laugh at these guesstimates when it comes to masses of people its easy to get carried away with figures.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Always get a laugh at these guesstimates when it comes to masses of people its easy to get carried away with figures.

Sorry, don't agree with your previous post, but do agree with you on this! You kinda wonder if they are just counting the same people who are just seeing the race in several locations.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    He is strong enough to do that on both flat and cobbled climb as he proved last year on two succesive Sundays

Don't think it's that simple. If you take last year's Roubaix, when he attacked everyone else just looked at Boonen. Next thing he has a reasonable gap and then nobody wants to chase.
    ?

Actually some times it is that simple and that was one of those times he was strong enough to get a gap and hold it,nobody ellse in the field was strong enough to do anything similiar. Boonen et al can say what they want afterwards but the hard facts were he was strong enough to ride away from the favourites and hold it for 40ks or whatever it was.

He got a gap and then nobody other than Boonen seemed willing to really commit to chasing him - if nobody lets him get the initial gap it's a different ball game - he isn't going to ride Boonen, Gilbert, Hushovd off his wheel like he did Leukemans.

Greased Scotsman is right - last year people were still looking at Boonen as at least an equal favourite - this year I think Cancellera will be even more of a marked man.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

?

He got a gap and then nobody other than Boonen seemed willing to really commit to chasing him - if nobody lets him get the initial gap it's a different ball game - he isn't going to ride Boonen, Gilbert, Hushovd off his wheel like he did Leukemans.

You mean like he did at Milan San Remo and the Tour stage in Belgium ? I think he proved he could ride them off his wheel by doing exactly that and being strong enough to hold it. To be frank Boonen and the rest were looking for excuses afterwards because of the ass whipping he dished out .
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    You mean like he did at Milan San Remo and the Tour stage in Belgium ? I think he proved he could ride them off his wheel by doing exactly that and being strong enough to hold it. To be frank Boonen and the rest were looking for excuses afterwards because of the ass whipping he dished out .

So why didn't he win Milan San Remo this year then? He tried almost exact move to 2008 with about 2km to go, but this time Goss was on his wheel, he was going nowhere so quickly gave up on the move. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just don't think it's as easy as you make it sound for him.

But on another point, I do find in interesting that Cancellara doesn't try to hide his form, sure your gonna have a go at winning MsR, but why bother with E3 when ToF is just round the corner? Maybe if everyone knows he's going well, when he makes a move some riders are intimidated and just give up rather than try to follow. Just a thought...
  • Cancellara has a pretty short peak of form so if he's 100 per cent for MSR he might not be able to hold it till P-R. When he won MSR he put his poorer form at P-R down to peaking to early.

So it also makes sense for him to make the most of his peak by squeezing in E3 too.

Canc has to be the nailed on favourite for flanders but as boonen has been reminding people, it wasn't long ago when he really had chinny's number.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:

So why didn't he win Milan San Remo this year then? He tried almost exact move to 2008 with about 2km to go, but this time Goss was on his wheel, he was going nowhere so quickly gave up on the move. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just don't think it's as easy as you make it sound for him.

But on another point, I do find in interesting that Cancellara doesn't try to hide his form, sure your gonna have a go at winning MsR, but why bother with E3 when ToF is just round the corner? Maybe if everyone knows he's going well, when he makes a move some riders are intimidated and just give up rather than try to follow. Just a thought...

I didn't say that he could do it as and when required like on tap if you will i said he was strong enough to do it on occasions as he showed , that doesnt mean to say that he would be able to do it every time but he has that power in his locker if he is in top form to ride away from other favourites.
  • rick_chasey
    Who's already buzzing with excitement?

Other than me... :D

• Paterberg? (and I'm liking the 360 camera...)
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Who's already buzzing with excitement?

Me.

Friday off to head down to Belgium. Hotel booked in Aalst for 2 nights. Riding the sportive event on Saturday and then watching the race Sunday.

Backing it all up again in 2 weeks for the Amstel Gold as well.

And the summer evening race competition started at my club yesterday. 140 entrants on the first night with the second race tomorrow. Has the blood bubbling away waiting for this weekend.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    from a punting perspective, such a short-odds fave means there's plenty of value for each way bets for riders who have shown recent 'form'

Ballan 33/1
    Nuyens 50/1
    Langeveld 66/1
    Pozzato, Flecha, Sagan 25/1

Most bookies pay 1/4 the odds for a top 3 finish. I still can't see past Fab though...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    And the summer evening race competition started at my club yesterday. 140 entrants on the first night with the second race tomorrow. Has the blood bubbling away waiting for this weekend.

You know you're supposed to keep it in the fridge, not on the cooker, right?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'