Petrol/Diesel

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited April 2011 in The hub
Went to london for the weekend and drove down from bristol.

I took the car to save money, as the train was nearly £75 for a return.

I drove sensibly and under the limit all the way there and back and saved a fair amount of fuel compared to my "stick foot to fllor" mode i usually do!

But on the way back i stopped at the services and had to pay £1.40 per litre for petrol! Like seriously, wtf!!!

Comments

• Not sure I follow? It's £1.42 at the garage near me.

How much is it near you?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Aviemore 1.38 for petrol and 1.45 diesel. We're normally dearer than major towns. But I was shocked at the prices on motorway service stations last time I needed one.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    1.30 for petrol and 1.36 for diesel in Aberdeen Shell gas station, so it would be cheaper from asda
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    I filled up on Friday: £87, it lasted 186 miles. I'm glad that I live close to work now or it would be expensive.

I took the cycle rack of the family car on Sunday to help improve the MPG
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Motorway filling stations are always a good 8-10p dearer than petrol stations.

The rationale being they have a captive audience, nobody on the road is going to want to leave the motorway and have a 1-2 mile detour to find a petrol station.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Diesel is between £1.36 and £1.40 near me - Asda gets a lot of by fuel money these days!

Unless you can't avoid it, never buy fuel at the services - always more expensive.

V5ade wrote:
    I filled up on Friday: £87, it lasted 186 miles.

Crikey, what do you drive?
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    V5ade wrote:

Or what the hell did you fill up with?

Ocassionally, I feel the urge to buy a more "enjoyable" car to drive, but the 80 mile commute and fuel prices tend to stop that...
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    soy_sauce wrote:
    1.30 for petrol and 1.36 for diesel in Aberdeen Shell gas station, so it would be cheaper from asda

Shell is always the cheapest near me. Usually a penny or two cheaper than Tesco or Asda.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    1.30 in bristol for petrol!

i just think its a bit of a sickener as i know as well as most people that about 50% of that is tax. i'd be quite happy with a fuel strike but i think everyone has just given up.

soon its going to be unaffordable to use a car at all! I am starting to dislike this country for the tax i pay and what i actually see for the money i pay!

Im not saying is a Con/Lib Dem/ Labour government at fault in particular, just a government thing on the whole!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Try using this to get the best prices.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    20€ bought me 12 litres on Saturday and that was the cheapo 95-ron crap...(makes the engine stammer a bit - i usually put 98ron in but that pump was closed).

This is getting out of hand...
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    £1.28 a litre for normal 95 Ron stuff here at Shell or £1.35 for 98 shell V power or whateve its called these days. All i know is my bike seems to like the expensive juice as it seems to run smoother with it.

77 mpg :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    unixnerd wrote:
    Aviemore 1.38 for petrol and 1.45 diesel.
    You're being done mate. Aviemore was the last place I put diesel in my car, and it cost me 1.40 per litre of diesel.
    The guy behind the counter really liked my hat though, so maybe he gave me a discount. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    V5ade wrote:
    Are you driving a jet fighter or something? £74 in mine in Aviemore, did me a good 560 miles. Which I still consider to be daylight robbery.
    at £87 for 186 miles, I think I'd have committed suicide.
  • Arkady001
    95-ron crap

95 RON ain't crap, what the hell are you driving :lol:

2008 Ford Mustang GT 'Bullitt' Limited edition.
    4.6 V8 @ 350ps
  • Anonymous
    What does @350ps mean?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's German for HP. But American HP, not manly British Bhp, so more like fat bloated Mcdonalds power.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    £1.40 near me for diseasel. £80 will get me 500+ miles if I'm careful
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • 2008 Ford Mustang GT 'Bullitt' Limited edition.
    4.6 V8 @ 350ps

That sounds like quite an engine! What's the minimum octane fuel it will take? Just out of interest, because my car has a 3.0 265bhp engine and it say's on the cap it'll take lower (and higher) than 95. I wouldn't put lower than 95 in though because that's the standard, but I ain't paying for 98 when it's designed to run ok on 95... Plus, if I started putting in 97/98 I might decide I like it and then I'll be super poor at todays prices! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Hang on, hang on hang on.
    4.6 litre, V8, with only 350 BHP? What the....
    Has the cylinder head gone on it or something?
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107

I'd say that's not bad for an american V8 meeting current emissions standards. The 4.6 V8 in the MG ZT260 only kicked out, wait for it, 260 HP; I think that was a ford engine too.

That sounds like quite an engine! What's the minimum octane fuel it will take? Just out of interest, because my car has a 3.0 265bhp engine and it say's on the cap it'll take lower (and higher) than 95. I wouldn't put lower than 95 in though because that's the standard, but I ain't paying for 98 when it's designed to run ok on 95... Plus, if I started putting in 97/98 I might decide I like it and then I'll be super poor at todays prices! :lol:

Nice, BMW 330i? My 3.0 only has 215; I get 300 miles out of £70.
  • Hang on, hang on hang on.

Does that mean it's all grunt and no action?
  • Nice, BMW 330i? My 3.0 only has 215; I get 300 miles out of £70.

Nearly right, it's a baby beemer (130i) :wink:

And I promise never to mention it on this forum ever again... There have been some scary rows about said german car maker and their owners :oops:
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    Nice, BMW 330i? My 3.0 only has 215; I get 300 miles out of £70.
    Nearly right, it's a baby beemer (130i) :wink:

Nice motor :D.

Yeah, I've read those threads :roll: ; I've currently got a jap car but I'm thinking of getting a 1 series diesel later this year.
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Diesel is between £1.36 and £1.40 near me - Asda gets a lot of by fuel money these days!
    V5ade wrote:

The most unreliable M3 in existence (£13k of engine work in the last 14 months!)
    Monkeypump wrote:
    V5ade wrote:

Or what the hell did you fill up with?
    Ocassionally, I feel the urge to buy a more "enjoyable" car to drive, but the 80 mile commute and fuel prices tend to stop that...
    Ultimate from the local BP. It's nothing compare to the tyre bill, £1k for a set of 4 and the rears only last 6k miles. My son's going to be gutted when I trade down to something more affordable.
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • Arkady001

You're not familiar with American cars then? :D
    It takes the Yanks three times the displacement to get the same power as the Japanese get from a 2l 4-cyl. :lol:
    But it's deceptive. All of that power is delivered low down in the range - above 120mph, everything goes past me - even a 1.8 Mondeo. The GT has all the aerodynamic characteristics of an East German Tower Block - above 130mph, everything starts to get very wobbly indeed. Not for nothing do racers put hood-pins on these cars - several people have lost bonnets at high speed (for the Yanks, high speed is 80mph+)
    I've swapped out the suspension for a sports-based package equivalent to the package installed in the FR500 cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_FR500 that race against Porsches and M3s in the European FIA GT3 series, but a bit more civilised.
    Before that it handled like a bouncy castle in a North Sea gale...Now it handles like a big european sports car and corners very well - just as well as my local playground is the Sauerland and the sub-alpine switchbacks round here can be a lot of fun. Winterberg (winter olympic sports venue) is only an hours' drive away.

But from 0-60, nothing gets close. My mate in Reading has a 2009 BMW M3 cabrio and he was most upset to find I beat him to the 1/4 mile every time - another 100ft and he goes part me like I'm parked, of course, but that's not what these cars are designed for.
    On normal roads virtually nothing will get away from me in a standing start - Actually there is - I spotted a 2010 Mustang GT in town today and that has the new 5.0l V8 engine pushing out 480ps.
    My 350ps is about 325bhp in English money, but it's not an exact science - RWHP vs Flywheel HP blah, blah, blah...
    Torque is where it's at and the GT has more torque than the BMW M3 which has a significantly higher BHP.
    Considering this car only cost the equivalent of £15,000 brand new (when I bought it the exchange rate was $2.10 to the £), you have to spend an awful lot of money to get performance that comes close...

Oh yes, and it looks and sounds bloody awesome...
    4496345071_3e25598f23.jpg
  • Yeah, I've read those threads Rolling Eyes ; I've currently got a jap car but I'm thinking of getting a 1 series diesel later this year.

They're nice cars, go for it :D !
  • Arkady001
    2008 Ford Mustang GT 'Bullitt' Limited edition.
    4.6 V8 @ 350ps

Originally it had variable timing so would accept everything from 90-100ron.
    I've since done some work on the engine and had it chipped (three tunes & handset from BamaChips at American Muscle in the US) so that it only uses 98-100ron fuel.
  • Anonymous
    V5ade wrote:
    The most unreliable M3 in existence (£13k of engine work in the last 14 months!)
    OUCH :shock:
    That's more than all the cars I've had in over ten years added together. I don't know whether to be jealous or sorry for you :lol:
    Arkady001 wrote:
    You're not familiar with American cars then? :D
    Not in any depth, no. I grew up with bikers who were always trying to get more and more and more power from engines between 750CC and 1100CC :lol: