Tuna, why so expensive?

124»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    Oh I'm in research too, I get out there to meet people too but I prefer research to being pushed to originate. I used to originate business but it's tough to get decent mandated, retained searches unless you have the connections through working at a bank or something. I ended up "originating" contingent stuff and chasing around throwing CVs about to make placements and that sort of quick buck, scatter gun approach doesn't appeal to me. As you may be able to tell (from the earlier convo) I like to do full research, really learn about something and then try to really be informative before actually punting people to clients....

We only do retained search.

S'the only job in this area I've had so my knowledge of how it works beyond these walls is pretty limited.

We basicaly get given a mandate, say, hypothetically, #2 on single stock desk @ Tier 1 bank, or head of pb sales - i compile the longlist, get the profiles, approach candidates I think are good, meet the ones who agree - then the consultant takes it on from there.

Right now no-one's picking up the phone so it's twidling thumbs and pretending to look busy.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Oh I'm in research too, I get out there to meet people too but I prefer research to being pushed to originate. I used to originate business but it's tough to get decent mandated, retained searches unless you have the connections through working at a bank or something. I ended up "originating" contingent stuff and chasing around throwing CVs about to make placements and that sort of quick buck, scatter gun approach doesn't appeal to me. As you may be able to tell (from the earlier convo) I like to do full research, really learn about something and then try to really be informative before actually punting people to clients....

We only do retained search.

S'the only job in this area I've had so my knowledge of how it works beyond these walls is pretty limited.

We basicaly get given a mandate, say, hypothetically, #2 on single stock desk @ Tier 1 bank, or head of pb sales - i compile the longlist, get the profiles, approach candidates I think are good, meet the ones who agree - then the consultant takes it on from there.

Right now no-one's picking up the phone so it's twidling thumbs and pretending to look busy.

Yeah, same as me really. I work at a medium sized firm which has pretty good market share so I don't really see much incentive to move somewhere else and try to get a bigger role.... I've just finished a search in electronic trading and am just starting another so kind of in a quietish spot at the moment...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Presume the slave trade is fine by you then is it. I mean, it's survival of the fittest.

Yeah because human slave trading is the same as where you get your chickens or eggs from and how much they cost, right?

Could those subjects be much further apart or a bigger reach without organising a team to help build a bridge?

You support wars in other countries so long as you can have a mobile phone though, right? :p
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Presume the slave trade is fine by you then is it. I mean, it's survival of the fittest.

Yeah because human slave trading is the same as where you get your chickens or eggs from and how much they cost, right?

Could those subjects be much further apart or a bigger reach without organising a team to help build a bridge?

You support wars in other countries so long as you can have a mobile phone though, right? :p

To put this back on track, I think the point is that although as a species I believe that human beings are designed to eat meat, we are not meant to eat it in huge quantities every day and increasing the cost through increasing animal welfare and restricting production practices would not result in any hardship and in fact would probably reduce obesity and waste.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Presume the slave trade is fine by you then is it. I mean, it's survival of the fittest.

Why is the slave trade different to cruelty to millions/billions of animals round the world. In fact you are probably right, they couldn't be further apart nowadays.

We covered the phones a few pages back.

I don't want it to be an argument as it is your choice. You are happy to eat animals that have been treated cruely, I'm not.

I have never claimed to be 'better' because I don't do x,y or z. It is just my priorities. Do you not have a mobile then out of interest?

Is there anything you don't do out of any moral reason? (Not a dig, just interested)
  • Is there anything you don't do out of any moral reason? (Not a dig, just interested)

Yes, I don't do racism, I hate everyone equally. (: