What are you giving up for lent?

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Who is Len T anyway? And what hold has he got over you lot? If it's blackmail you can have him prosecuted you know.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    SimonAH wrote:
    Who is Len T anyway? And what hold has he got over you lot? If it's blackmail you can have him prosecuted you know.

T was the keyboard player..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2TwP2_Pxs
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    dhope wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Your remark was calculated to cause offence which you knew or should have reasonably known. You are a deeply unpleasant person to have posted such a response. I would suggest that you remove it out of common decency. I refer you BR's terms and conditions of posting of which you are clearly in breach.

I suspect you may find the "tongue" was so firmly in cheek and held for such a time as to actually start to bond together and the plaintiff can now no longer speak properly - chastised so thoroughly for his mis-deeds.

Oh cruel cruel world!

Besides, one should be praising him for giving up what the Catholic Church could not.
    Uh oh, did I really just go there? :roll:

+1 hahaha
    I very nearly fell off my chair - a pure Frankie Boyle moment.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    crisps mmmmm and buying bike stuff especially after the number of purchases in the last week! :shock:
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Scalping Hatbeard :wink:

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
    Hat + Beard
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    hatbeard wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Scalping Hatbeard :wink:

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

The sound of Hatbeard's deflating ego?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    judging by the number of visit's i've had lately it's more likely the air out of my tyres :(
    Hat + Beard
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Posting on here.... oh, bugger.. maybe next year then.
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    Religious superstition and irrationality.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • Abstinence
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    A friend of mine runs a nice wine shop, posher than an offy. He says that every lent he gets a few regulars giving up booze. However, because Sundays don't count apparently, they spend more on a really posh bottle for a Sunday. So he does better out of their supposed abstinence.
    Makes no sense to me. I didn't even know Sundays don't count.
    I would like to give up cycling on frosty mornings, not entirely within my control though.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As of tonight I've given up on any hope of Leicester sneaking into the Play-Offs, following another defeat that equates to 1 point from the last 12. Bunch of wasters. I have heard that in return Sven has haughtily but rightly dismissed any chance I might have had of a Top 6 place on the Stats board this year. So that's alright then.

On second thoughts, I give up on giving up. There's always a chance...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A friend of mine runs a nice wine shop, posher than an offy. He says that every lent he gets a few regulars giving up booze. However, because Sundays don't count apparently, they spend more on a really posh bottle for a Sunday. So he does better out of their supposed abstinence.
    I can help there. If you count the number of days from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, the total is 46. Subtract the number of Sundays in Lent, which is 6, and you arrive at the figure of 40 - the number of days Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness. [Lift from Telegraph letters page actually. Me? Religious? God no.]
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    As others have said: nothing, because i'm not religious. I wouldn't've even had pancakes yesterday but the girlfriend wanted them.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • CiB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I can help there. If you count the number of days from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, the total is 46. Subtract the number of Sundays in Lent, which is 6, and you arrive at the figure of 40 - the number of days Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness. [Lift from Telegraph letters page actually. Me? Religious? God no.]

and why do you not count the sundays >??

its because each of them in Lent is a mini Easter
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    CiB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

and why do you not count the sundays >??

its because each of them in Lent is a mini Easter

Does that mean you get to eat a lot of chocolate then? :twisted:

Mini Easter Eggs at least :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    I love Jesus.

When he was born I get presents, when he died I get chocolate!

:lol:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pst88 wrote:
    As others have said: nothing, because i'm not religious. I wouldn't've even had pancakes yesterday but the girlfriend wanted them.

Eating pancakes on shrove tuesday (i.e. Pancake day) is about as religious as giving and receiving presents and eating a turkey dinner (lunch?) on Christmas day.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    pst88 wrote:

Eating pancakes on shrove tuesday (i.e. Pancake day) is about as religious as giving and receiving presents and eating a turkey dinner (lunch?) on Christmas day.

Hmm, I always thought the purpose of shrove tuesday was to use up ingredients like eggs, sugar etc. because they were restricted during the (religious) lent fast?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Yes, I think that is the point of shrove tuesday. Doesn't Mardi Gras translate to fat tuesday?
    Regarding the sundays not counting as lent. That makes the fasting for 40 days thing a bit of a cop out. It's 6 fasts of six days and one of 4 days. They would be seperate fasts surely.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Nothing as I gave up religion some time ago, about the same time I stopped beliving in santa.

I've posted this before but this sums up my current feelings on the subject much better than I ever could.

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”

Steven Weinberg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, I think that is the point of shrove tuesday. Doesn't Mardi Gras translate to fat tuesday?
    Regarding the sundays not counting as lent. That makes the fasting for 40 days thing a bit of a cop out. It's 6 fasts of six days and one of 4 days. They would be seperate fasts surely.

Yeah, it's called Intervals. :D
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Hmm, I always thought the purpose of shrove tuesday was to use up ingredients like eggs, sugar etc. because they were restricted during the (religious) lent fast?

Yeah, and we have public holidays at christmas so people could/can celebrate the birth of jesus.

My point is eating pancakes on shrove Tuesday is not a religious event, in the same way giving presents to your family and friends at Christmas isn't. It has roots in religion sure, but you'll be hard pressed to find many national celebration days, especially those that involve particular food, that don't (with a couple WW2 end celebrations, but to be honest, they're a) more memorials then celebrations, and b) not that big a deal here in the UK)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    edited March 2011
    pst88 wrote:

That is true I suppose, they're just traditions tagged on to religious events that have nothing to do with the religion itself. I'm pretty sure pancakes and chocolate eggs aren't mentioned in the bible, neither is the practice of giving something up for lent. I'm still not going to do it though.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,402
    Sketchley wrote:
    Nothing as I gave up religion some time ago, about the same time I stopped beliving in santa.

I've posted this before but this sums up my current feelings on the subject much better than I ever could.

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”

Steven Weinberg

What a wonderfully simplistic view of mankind. 20th century history has some fairly obvious examples that disprove that statement. He should have stuck with the physics.

Sorry to get all serious, but the 'religion causes all the world's problems' argument really gets my back up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Yeah, and we have public holidays at christmas so people could/can celebrate the birth of jesus.

My point is eating pancakes on shrove Tuesday is not a religious event, in the same way giving presents to your family and friends at Christmas isn't. It has roots in religion sure, but you'll be hard pressed to find many national celebration days, especially those that involve particular food, that don't (with a couple WW2 end celebrations, but to be honest, they're a) more memorials then celebrations, and b) not that big a deal here in the UK)

Well if I was being particularly pedantic, its more about the symbolism of the ingredients rather than the actual food you make from it being religious. :P

Anyway, did you have poffertjes btw? I was desperately trying to find a poffertjes pan in London but to no avail....
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    Anyway, did you have poffertjes btw? I was desperately trying to find a poffertjes pan in London but to no avail....

I didn't.

I did however make proper pancakes on Sunday - as opposed to chewy thin, p!ss poor pancakes, (more commonly reffered to as crêpes) and I had spek met stroop - naturally.

If the pancake isn't on its way towards an omelette (in terms of thickness, and in my grandmother's case, egginess) then it's not a proper pancake.

BTW: If you're ever in Sheffield, they always sell poffertjes at the 'world' market which seems to be there every other weekend.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Steven Weinberg

What a wonderfully simplistic view of mankind. 20th century history has some fairly obvious examples that disprove that statement. He should have stuck with the physics.

Sorry to get all serious, but the 'religion causes all the world's problems' argument really gets my back up.

I'd be the last to contend that religion causes all the world's problems, but I'd observe that it seems to be associated with a disturbingly large number of them.....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,402
    rhext wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Steven Weinberg

I'd be the last to contend that religion causes all the world's problems, but I'd observe that it seems to be associated with a disturbingly large number of them.....

A lot of the world's problems involve people, and a lot of people are religious to some degree. It doesn't take long for someone to try and legitimise their point of view by saying, "Oh and another thing: God's on our side not theirs!" and suddenly it's a 'religious' conflict.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition