Lidl cycling gear on sale 14.03.2011

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Revolution Sport Track Pump £9.99
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... uctID=9027

I've had the 'Pro' for over 5 years and used 1 'rebuild' kit on it - it works and lasts

Just ordered mine, well spotted .

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • stevee_p
    stevee_p Posts: 37
    For what its worth,

I bought a jersey in Large, and am going to get one in medium, as the Alrge is exactly that.

I'm 6ft 3" and slim build, and feel a bit swamped in the Large.

So there, i dont suppose anyone cares but it might help someone! Its hard to tell in the store which size you need.

Ta
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    Just been to my local Lidl and they still have a lot of everything in all sizes, shoes, pumps, tops etc
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    riggsy81 wrote:
    Just been to my local Lidl and they still have a lot of everything in all sizes, shoes, pumps, tops etc

And where are you based?

Oh just noticed your avatar.

Is that NLondon or dirty SLondon?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • 3 Kinder Eggs for 99p! ZOMG!!!
  • I got the comp, shoes, tops, 3 1/4's, and the underwere things,

i agree the sizing is way off! i needed small tops and L/XL for bottoms! I like the underwere thingys seem to be of good quilty and fit well. the shoes i will just use for flats on MTB i think.

Oh and loads of socks! there soooo cheap.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    The panniers and shoes get a good write up here:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21262

I got some, and have to say the panniers are excellent, worth every penny. I spent £35 on my first set of panniers from Halfords, and £50 on my second set from Decathlon, and neither were as good as the Lidl ones. The 17 Litre is a bit misleading, as well. I guess it's 17 litre fully rolled down. I find I can fit much more in the Lidl panniers than in my 20 litre Decathlon panniers, and still have the tops rolled enough to seal properly. I'd guess they were about 23 litres full but sealed.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Got a windproof gillet yesterday. I'm 5'11'' but a slim build - men's small was too big so I got a white women's small :wink: For £6.99 it's perfect for wearing under a jersey on cooler days.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Confirmation that the pump does indeed work - fixed a flat on the way in this morning, blew it up with the hand pump and brought it to full pressure in the office with the Lidl stand-by jobby. Not bad tbh. Does what it says on the tin in the end
  • steve1312
    steve1312 Posts: 79
    got the under saddle tool kit for a fiver and 18 muller yoghurts. buy one get 2 free :D
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    *Goes to Lidl*
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    steve1312 wrote:
    ...18 muller yoghurts. buy one get 2 free :D

Good shout! I'm a sucker for the Lidl's frozen salami pizzas. Bloody love 'em :D
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Bought the lidl track pump. Used it to inflate the front tire. Worked so well and got so much air into the tube it split the tire! Ah well- more slicks ordered off the bay.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Got 2 of the gilets - got to be good value at 8.99 each
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Good shouts on the the pump then it seems?

Googling "Lidl track pump" brings up some horror stories dating back to 2006 about exploding pumps, failing pumps/valves within minimal usage, glue fixings versus screw fixings and prices of 2.99 versus 4.99. There are some later reviews with people stating they use it all the time and it's been great for years?

Perhaps QC isn't all that on these generic pumps with cheap parts and that if you get lucky and bag a good one, then you've probably cracked it and have a nice cheap pump at home that's going to do the business for a few years.
    At the end of the day, I've read many a comment of similar failings from so-called professional track pumps costing in excess of £30 and they've been binned after minimal use.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Gotte
    I showed the panniers to a guy down the road who's a seasoned tourer and member of the CTC, and he was really impressed, esp when I told him the price.
  • Good old Lidl - something for everybody.

Follow a week of cycle gear leading to more bikes in use, with a cheap angle grinder to help 'redistribute bikes around the community'

Although I did hear a rumour that Angle Grinders had potential applications other than destroying 'd' locks

Also from 28/3/2011 they are doing a heart rate monitor including bike mount for £15 which might interest some.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I got the track pump too!
    Found it pumped the tyres up very well. The problems started when trying to detach the pump from the valve. The lever is so stiff that by the time i'd managed to remove it, 10-20psi had leaked out!
  • CRAIGO5000
    I went out again today and bought a set of the SPD shoes which are really comfy and easy to walk in (being MTB style with a grip) I also got the bike hoist too and have just finished installing it into the garage.
    The hoist is great, It lifts the bike with ease and you can lock it off at any elevation. It's perfect for servicing. Pull up a stool and re-index your gears or tune your brakes with ease.

Can anyone recommend a set of pedals and cleats that are suitable for the shoes? Perhaps a hybrid pedal with SPD on one side and flat on the other?
  • Gotte
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I
    The hoist is great, It lifts the bike with ease and you can lock it off at any elevation. It's perfect for servicing. Pull up a stool and re-index your gears or tune your brakes with ease.

I'd not thought about that usage - I might have to take another trip to Lidl, now.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a set of pedals and cleats that are suitable for the shoes? Perhaps a hybrid pedal with SPD on one side and flat on the other?

I got these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/

and do rate them.

I think, even when using the clipped side, the flat area is forgiving if you miss the clip or struggling to pull away etc. That said, I have almost never just used the flat side since trying spd's so dont be too afraid to just take the plunge without the bailout option!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • iclestu wrote:

Cheaper here

But as iclestu says, once tried you won't go back. Get dual sided spds and if needs be you can get some plastic covers which clip in and allow you to cycle in flats.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Yeah after talking to a mate who have a flat/spd pedal I decided to take the plunge and went full SPD. I got the Shimano M520 pedals and have just fitted them and given them a test ride. They are awesome! I can't believe I how I now feel much more sure footed and confident in pedaling.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    ......I can't believe I how I now feel much more sure footed and confident in pedaling.

Yeah - but from bitter experience, its only when you stop pedaling that the problem with new spd's manifests itself! In my own (and nearly everyone elses??) experience such moments always occur at near zero speed and hurt nothing except pride!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • CRAIGO5000
    I'm hoping that won't be the case as I've had retro-fitted clipped pedals for a few months now and natural instinct tells me to get a foot out before coming to a stop. Hopefully that same instinct will manifest itself to a "twist of the ankle" within metres of riding!

You'll all be the first to hear of my n00bish woes if that is not the case! ;)
  • jw6
    jw6 Posts: 4
    Have never bought clycling gear from Lidl but I have great faith in them, as bought running shoes for 15 quid there 6 months ago and they have been incredible. Still in great condition, really comfortable and most importantly have provided excellent support. Certainly up there with many i've had in the past from higher-end brands.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Wore my new Lidl Gilet for the first time this morning. Quite impressed for the price.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Allez Mark wrote:
    Wore my new Lidl Gilet for the first time this morning. Quite impressed for the price.

+1 and at £7 you can't grumble :-)
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    Allez Mark wrote:

+1 and at £7 you can't grumble :-)

+2 been wearing mine all week. Ideal for this weather.
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    Just stopped off in lidlis this morning and saw a few cycling bits.

SPD shoes. very much first time of pub shoe but at £15 you can't go wrong

Very light weight jacket, really good apart from a hood? £10

also had shorts, jerseys, gloves and tools