Lidl cycling gear on sale 14.03.2011

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've got a couple of pairs of the Lidl MTB shoes and they are excellent if a bit weighty. Last Aldi sale I got a pair of their roadie style MTB shoes - not tried them yet but they look OK.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've got a couple of pairs of the Lidl MTB shoes and they are excellent if a bit weighty. Last Aldi sale I got a pair of their roadie style MTB shoes - not tried them yet but they look OK.

They are ok if a little 'clacky' on hard surfaces.... Actually very 'clacky' it's like wearing clogs again!

(New Model Army reference there! :wink: )
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

They are ok if a little 'clacky' on hard surfaces.... Actually very 'clacky' it's like wearing clogs again!

(New Model Army reference there! :wink: )

I've got a pair that must be 10 years old, the only (very slight) issue is the heel cup is not quite deep enough, perfectly good for regular commuting.

Won't be giving up my spesh BGs for them though but useful as a spare.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    wk11_56104_b.jpg
    LIDL wrote:
    Unisex Cycling Underwear

Stays in place, even at high speeds

There's nothing I can add
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Aldi gear is better , I bought one of their windproof winter jerseys a few years ago (CraneBike), I wear it all the time and it's as good as new.

I bought socks (cant' remember if it was aldi or lidl :roll: ) ,anyway they were rubbish, kept sliding off my feet.

The shoes are very heavy, but they will last and are good for the winter commute, they will also build your leg muscles.

Other gear is hit and miss, puncture kits are OK, tops are reasonable, BUT, if you search the web you can often find branded gear at dirt cheap prices, it's a better option.

Don't touch lidl or aldi padded shorts/longs , they are very poor, it's worth paying a bit more.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Teddy Westside
    Teddy Westside Posts: 221
    edited March 2011
    Posting this in each forum it's mentioned.

Pretty sure everything from the newsletter was in stock, more or less. Just a handful of people sifting through the items when I got there at around 10:20am.

These are just first impressions of what I bought, no time to test them so soon!

Socks:
    Usually take a size 8 shoe so picked up the 6-8 (39-42) and they fit snuggly. Re-enforced toe box and heel areas and narrower in-between for grip around the middle of your foot. Short cuff/collar - none of your Sky team calf length socks here! Bought 2 packs (4 pairs) and think they'll be just fine.

Jersey:
    Nice, lightweight top with a particularly long tail. 3 normal rear pockets and a small key/change pocket with (unusually) a vertical zip. I assume the "chin guard" refers to the piece of the collar which folds over the top of the (full length) zip to stop you catching it with your chin if you lower your head. I wanted a small (34?-36") but had to settle for a medium (38-40") - just slightly loose fitting on me (36" would be ideal) but not overly drag-inducing.

Performance Cycling Top:
    A compression garment. Got this in a medium too (38-40") but it still feels (correctly) very snug so you may want to get a size up if you are close to being "between sizes". Very comfortable sleeveless vest which should be good as an under layer in cool/cold weather and may work when warmer too if it wicks properly. I think it will emphasise love handles if you have them though ;-)

I didn't get the compression shorts but I'm now thinking I should, though for my ice hockey rather than cycling.

Gilet:
    Now this you may want to size down unless wearing it over bulkier jersey. I got the small and it's a slightly relaxed fit over the jersey I bought. Only a little bit though. Again, a nice long tail with a single full width zipped pocket (mesh lined). From the top of the pocket to the shoulder yoke the material is fine mesh only, no solid fabric. The front, sides, yoke and pocket area are all mesh-lined fabric. The gilet also has a generously sized zipped pocket on each side, easily big enough for bulky gloves for example.

Insulated Water Flask:
    The claim of 500ml is correct, although as is normal with insulated bottles it's larger externally (approx 750ml I'd guess). Interestingly, the inner sleeve is removable for washing (dishwasher safe apparently) which will make it much easier to see that it's bacteria-free. The outer bottle is foam lined so I suppose you could even carefully use that as a storage bottle for tools and so on if not needing it as a bottle.

The cap has a normal teeth-pull nozzle (fairly hard plastic) and there is a clear domed flip-top lid to keep the whole cap clean. Rigid clear plastic so I'm sure it would shatter or crack in a crash. Probably best not to leave it in freezing conditions either in case the plastic fatigues. But it you lose the dome, the bottle will still work the same otherwise.

Pannier Set:
    An "Ortlieb style" roll top pannier (17l each) with detachable shoulder strap (Nifco-style clips). Rubbery plastic carry handle and 3 attachment points for a rack (2 on top and one horizontal-facing at the bottom. All 3 can be independently slid along their rails for better fine-tuning of the fit by loosening their screw.

The seams are taped and the wheel-side has an inner rigid plastic liner. No such liner for the base unfortunately. A removable one would have been a nice option. The "Nifco" straps for the rolled down top are fixed to the pannier by studs rather than sewn. There's a reflective silver triangle facing the rear. Mesh outer pocket on the side (no way of sealing it though - no zip, flap or velcro) Unfortunately I had to take a lime green set but at least it's bright till it gets dirty!

Finally the Bicycle Hoist:
    I'm not planning on using these immediately but at this price (£4.99) I got two and probably would have picked up another two if not for the risk of doing a wheelie all the way home with the extra weight! Not a lot to say about this but it does have a multi-language instruction book and the English (at a brief glance) appears correct! It comes with fitting screws and rawl-plugs. My only thought might be that wider screws would give a bit more peace of mind but if you fit it to strong beams or joist, you'll probably be fine. The model is a Powerfix Profi+ KH4260, though a quick Google didn't turn up anything on it.

I didn't opt for any other items or look at them in detail. I've seen the multi-tool before though and I'm not sure about its longevity as far as the metal rounding off. Tools are something I'd never go quite so low budget on.

Any questions, please ask and I'll see what I can add.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Hmm, maybe I'm spoiled with min40% staff discount on normal branded bike gear, but the Lidl (even Aldi) stuff I've had the displeasure of sampling is only good for washing bikes with.

Best of luck with that guys, enjoy...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Hmm, maybe I'm spoiled with min40% staff discount on normal branded bike gear, but the Lidl (even Aldi) stuff I've had the displeasure of sampling is only good for washing bikes with.

Best of luck with that guys, enjoy...

That's a pretty unfair analysis and a fairly pointless post IMO. Certainly the Crane branded stuff from Aldi is a lot better than you have suggested...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Teddy Westside
    Teddy Westside Posts: 221
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, maybe I'm spoiled with min40% staff discount on normal branded bike gear

You probably are! :P Seriously though, I doubt anyone's under the illusion this is going to rival top-end gear but for basic use (rather than touring or sportives etc), I reckon most of it is fine. I certainly wouldn't go for the helmets, certified or not. That's one area I'll always stick to known brands -safety's not worth cutting corners to save a bit of money. The clothing though its seemingly well stitched so longevity looks like its oly rest as in how it will withstand multiple washes. My cycle clothing usually gets a cold wash anyway so not too much stress.

For serious riding I have my Endura, Canondale, Altura Pearl Izumi, Shimano etc.

The panniers, yes they're a gamble as are any budget panniers. I'm not expectng miracles but I've paid more for something that lasted less time than these might manage, and without the water-proofing. And if their on-bike use is a failure, the shoulder straps mean they may still be useful as over-the shoulder bags.

Time will tell

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That was lucky. Had it in my head that this started tomorrow but didn't need anything anyway, then remembered last Friday's faff [too dull; just needed a pump] so scuttled off up the road to the new shop and claimed the last track pump in the shop.

It looks like what it is - a piece of cheap tat. It'll do as the backup that lives in the office though. For a fiver it's pretty much disposable / a one-shot use if needs be.
  • stevee_p
    stevee_p Posts: 37
    I've just popped out and bought a jersey and gilet.

Had a quick look at them in the shop, more for sizing reasons that quality, but from first impressions, seem sound. If they last me the summer (which won't be a huge amount of cycling) then I'll be happy.

I'll try and post a brief review after the weekends ride.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Bought the shirt and the underwear. Wore the u/wear for a short ride this pm and was pleasantly impressed. The pad was comfortable and the shape/size fitted well. They seem to have bridged to the standard Aldi set last year. The shirt is a decent shape and the stitching/ seams are fine, on the one I bought. Enjoy :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CiB wrote:
    ... claimed the last track pump in the shop.

It looks like what it is - a piece of cheap tat. It'll do as the backup that lives in the office though. For a fiver it's pretty much disposable / a one-shot use if needs be.

+1 to that.

I got a slow p* over the weekend and picked up a pump this morning.
    I'm about to leave work so thought it wise to test my new purchase by topping up the pressure and it is pants.
    It doesn't stand on its own (uneven floor, so maybe a harsh critisism) and the adaptor is so hard to get on/off that you lose a large amount of air in the process. I get the feeling that the pressure in my tyre is lower now than before I attempted to inflate it!

I may have to have a look at the head to see if I can improve on the 'design'. My first thought is to remove it and add an adaptor that actually works.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I was interested in a track pump but don't think I'll bother now. Hand pump all the way! (I think!?) :oops:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • got some panniers as a back up to my day to day one which frankly get battered. Look good enough. Picked up a couple of pairs of gloves - good to have cheap ones to abandon regularly on trains :-)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Nowt but rain capes left when I got there.

1 gilet in an XL. It was too big. I'm booking that as a win.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I was scouting Wiggle (and not CRC :wink:) for a track pump last week, until my housemate gave me the heads up on the track pump for a fiver.
    Sick of trying to get to a measley 100 psi using one of those car foot cylinder pumps with crappy adapter, i thought that a fiver was a worth a punt.
    Result? 120psi/8 bar without a problem.
    More sovs might get you there with a bit less effort, but a fiver -vs- thirty (at least) is a bit of a no brainer really.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Revolution Sport Track Pump £9.99
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... uctID=9027

I've had the 'Pro' for over 5 years and used 1 'rebuild' kit on it - it works and lasts
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Stopped at the kingston Lidl and got a pair of the roll top panniers. Not too bad, excellent for £11 the pair. I thought somebody had posted a link to sturdier hooks in case the ones fitted break but can't seem to find it now. Any ideas?
    Whilst I was there took the opportunity to stock up on Parmesan. That's the best thing about Lidl. Italian cheese and hams at about the same price you pay in an Italian supermarket.
  • Had 2 Lidl track pumps in the past and the valve heads both broke after 1 use. Got a third party head and all's fine now.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Continuing the saga of the track pump, it does stand on its own (just).
    I pumped my tyres up to 110psi and removed the adaptor (with a bit of difficulty) and heard a rush of pressurised air so checked the tyre pressure with an electric car pump and that showed about 105psi (which I think could easily be explained by different calibration, parrallax error etc).
    I have deduced that the rush of air I heard is pressurised air in the pump escaping when the valve head is removed.

On balance, I think I could recommend it at that price, but not if it was more expensive.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Stopped at the kingston Lidl and got a pair of the roll top panniers. Not too bad, excellent for £11 the pair. I thought somebody had posted a link to sturdier hooks in case the ones fitted break but can't seem to find it now. Any ideas?

That would have been me. The link was http://www.vonderpalette.com/product_info.php?products_id=12313. I have had three of these (I use a single one for commuting and a matching pair for tours).

It is the Hooks to secure the bag on the side strut that seem most fragile, but a good old fashioned bungee seems to work pretty well. Replacement hooks are cheap enough it's the postage that ramps the price up. Let me know if you are getting any and we can perhaps share the postage costs.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Excellent, ta. I've used them today and all seems well with the world. I will save this somewhere should such an eventuality arise. Not the dreaded 'safe place' I hope.
  • AndyManc
    Just been into the local lidl and bought;

Shoes , much much lighter than their efforts in recent years and very comfy, they look like a real bargain.

Socks ...... seem reasonable

S/S top, again looks OK

and led refelctives .... , because they were there :roll:

Happy with the gear, especially the shoes.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I bought the 10 quid (IIRC) cycling tool kit last time it was around.

It's not great quality, but the chain link remover worked as did the head set spanners, though I wouldn't like to exert too much pressure on them.

I did with one of the allen keys, tight, tighter, tigh...oh

I now have one allen key with a perfectly round end :?
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • CRAIGO5000
    Hmm. Okay then I'll take a punt at one of the £5 track pumps.

Anyone seen any going in one of the Manchester stores? I fear I may be a little late now :?
  • AndyManc
    I'm going back tomorrow for a second pair of shoes and a couple more packs of socks, the shoes are great, I don't use the cleat option, just hard flat soled shoes.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Obviously some local variations. We didn't get shoes.

James
  • CRAIGO5000
    Well I took the inexpensive plunge and rode over to the Salford store after work to pick up a track pump. They had around 10 of them left, loads of socks and underwear, a few pairs of shoes, loads of shirts, cycle computers and reflector bands. They also had loads of the multi-tools with puncture repair/tyre irons that all mount in a bag under the saddle.

I've tested my pump and it's actually not bad at all. It feels cheap but it was very capable of getting 120psi into my tyres with ease (90psi to 120psi in under 10 pumps). I felt I could have gone higher, although the pump did start to come under some resistance, something I didn't want to put it through as I'm happy with 100psi and will normally aim to keep my tyres at this range - I just wanted to see if it could handle the pressure.
    I'd certainly recommend to treat it like glass and pump nice and slowly as per the instructions!

Also, EKE_38BPM is correct. It's difficult to remove from the valve but thankfully when using presta valves, the rush of air isn't from the innertube, it's the compressed air that's still in the pump being released.

For £4.99 it's certainly worth it, especially if you don't own a track pump already.

Oh, the 25p "Mister Choc Peanut Choc" bars are ace! :wink:
  • AndyManc
    Pigtail wrote:
    Obviously some local variations. We didn't get shoes.

James

No need to worry , I'm sure Aldi will have even better ones in a few weeks time :x

URBAN_MANC.png