Lidl cycling gear on sale 14.03.2011

buy_my_cookies
buy_my_cookies Posts: 114
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I looked about but cant find in mentioned anywhere yet, great for bits and bobs for commuting so throught i'd give a heads up.

Wont link to site as i think it changes depending on your post code?

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That's handy. There's a new Lidl opening in Bicester this week. The whole town is agog & queues have already started to form for Thursday's big opening. I've never seen excitement like this, not in my lifetime. Really.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Not exactly cutting edge or quality though
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • wouldnt expect it to be for the price, Not saying its your sunday best but great for basic commuting.

But its definitely better then other places for the same amount of money, I got socks, shoes, tights, tops, gloves, and those refelective spoke things last year and they have all lasted the winter.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346

Just a random comment or do you have any insights into particular products?

ETA I found the socks to be great for the money..tops are so-so but are good for the money
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Not sure about Lidl quality, but I got an Aldi (by Crane) softshell long-sleeve top before winter and it turned out to be a superb buy. Rest of my gear tends to be branded, but I am going to get another one as it was so good in the cold.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

ETA I found the socks to be great for the money..tops are so-so but are good for the money

Usually seems to be those who haven't tried them or always wear Assos that come down hard on Aldi/Lidl. I find them excellent value and perfect for commuting. FWIW, I have had bother with the Lidl zips but Aldi use YKK.

They aren't without faults - the Aldi jerseys seem to come out too long for me to use on fun runs (loaded back pockets are too low for comfort) but I use a backpack on the commute so the pockets aren't needed anyway. Socks are great, shoes very durable if a little heavy, Aldi rainjacket is fine near the end of its second winter. Basically, most of last years 10000 miles done with Aldi tops.

Main complaint is that if something does come undone, you have to live with it or get a refund as there won't be any stock for an exchange.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Socks are great, other stuff isn't amazing but you wouldn't expect it to be at that price.

Worst thing about it is the absolute bunfight on the first morning with marauding forumites/professional ebayers pushing each other out of the way to get to the good stuff.
  • I've always found the Lidl kit to be so-so. Like has been said, the zips leave a lot to be desired on the jerseys. That said, they're better than the zips on the Northwave bib-tights I bought last autumn, or the Foska jersey I got for my birthday... Still using the socks and the reflective straws from last winter, though.

The last couple of Aldi cycling events have been superb, though. The soft-shell jackets and winter jerseys especially. Excellent at any price. Unbelievable at the price they were charging.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    is the stuff on sale before 14.03 but at higher prices or do they just ship it in for week or so from then and when its gone its gone?

Its very rare I frrequent Lidl so sorry if this seems a daft question.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • not on sale until the 14th they ship it all in as you say, and when its gone its gone.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    t4tomo wrote:
    is the stuff on sale before 14.03 but at higher prices or do they just ship it in for week or so from then and when its gone its gone?

Its very rare I frrequent Lidl so sorry if this seems a daft question.
    They buy a load of stuff in, stick it on sale on the allotted day and when it's gone, it's gone. You need to be quick off the mark usually as it does disappear pretty quickly. Console yourself with the idea that you've not missed much if it has gone. Lidl +Aldi stuff is ok but not worth a squabble for.

The zip top I bought a couple of years ago is like new, but then all it's done is two journeys to work, 1 trip through the washing machine and 23 months of hanging in the cupboard; I just didn't like it. Looks like new though.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Ok cheers. Could do with a new helmet and they look relatively innocuous from the website. might pop in next week if I think on.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014

Yes, in fact I do, I have in the past bought items from Lidl, from binoculars to clothes, accessories to food, then I realised that what I was buying, "cheap", lower market goods that could in no way compare with even the likes of Halfords or BHS, so I do not shop there any more.

Just my opinion though, we all have them that is what makes humas unique.

Perhaps I am also a bit of a snob, at least I admit it.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Excellent 8)

'London commuters, sponsored by Lidl and Aldi'
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    you also forgot 'and the rapha sample sale' :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Good news, I am a fan of Lidl, they sell cans of ground coffee which suit my tastebuds and the Muesli is good value as it is so full of fruit/nuts that we dilute it with oats and bran. The cycling stuff is a bit iffy. Some works OK but other bits are poor. The socks and mitts are good value, you can make your own mind up about the rest. Aldi has the edge as far as I am concerned, the clothing looks good and lasts well; the sizing can be dodgy :( e g short sleeved long sleeves, if you know what I mean.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've got loads of Lidl bits and had no trouble with any of it. Not as nice as the branded stuff but who cares when you can get 6/7 Lidl jerseys for the price of one Gore one - quantity over quality for commuting.
  • Nizzle. Could do with a few bits and bobs for commuting - plenty of jerseys, shorts and socks to give me enough gear for fresh clothing every day.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Perfect for commuting me thinks :D

Have been using the jersey's and tights all winter and them have lasted well. Will be buying somemore on the 14th for sure. Do't wear them on the weekends the good stuff comes out then, but when you need multiples of everything to be able to have fresh in the mornings and evenings they are great value.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't understand this "perfect for commuting" stuff - maybe my commute is at the extreme end - but I did 3000 miles "only commuting" last year in temperatures as low as -11C, expect to do over 4000 miles this year. I have no choice about which days I go or waiting for the rain to stop. Are there any "Sunday Best" cyclists that did more than 4000 miles on "Sundays"? I want to have the best gear for the week. I can only assume people's commutes are short hops. Or you only do one wash a week and need 5 of everything. I'd rather have 2 good sets of gear than 1 good set and 3-5 cheap ones.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I commute about 5k per annum (120 a week and I don't do holidays) happily use lidli and aldi cycling gear - none of it has let me down winter, Summer, rain or shine.

Wouldnt use the shoes personally.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Not a fan of the lidl stuff, it really is best to wait for the Aldi sale unless you're desperate for somethin, the quality is far better.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    prawny wrote:
    Not a fan of the lidl stuff, it really is best to wait for the Aldi sale unless you're desperate for somethin, the quality is far better.

Seconded, would only use them for socks and that kind of thing now but I still have an aldi winter jacket (black, breast pocket, windproof front panels) which is still going but the zip at the bottom is getting harder to start off so I will be looking for a replacement before the weather turns at the end of the summer this year but I have had a couple of winters out of it.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Some of my Lidl stuff is approaching two years old worn for two hours a day then washed at the weekend and is still absolutely fine. Have a few more expensive bits but can't really say it performs any better.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    pastryboy wrote:
    Some of my Lidl stuff is approaching two years old worn for two hours a day then washed at the weekend and is still absolutely fine. Have a few more expensive bits but can't really say it performs any better.

To a point but the aldi stuff just feels better quality. I've got lidl jerseys a gilet and mitts, but I'd go for my aldi equivalents every time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't understand this "perfect for commuting" stuff - maybe my commute is at the extreme end - but I did 3000 miles "only commuting" last year in temperatures as low as -11C, expect to do over 4000 miles this year. I have no choice about which days I go or waiting for the rain to stop. Are there any "Sunday Best" cyclists that did more than 4000 miles on "Sundays"? I want to have the best gear for the week. I can only assume people's commutes are short hops. Or you only do one wash a week and need 5 of everything. I'd rather have 2 good sets of gear than 1 good set and 3-5 cheap ones.

The Aldi (rather than Lidl!) stuff is 'perfect for commuting' because you can get a set of jerseys for next to nothing and not be bothered if it gets a bit bobbled etc. In terms of function, once you are wearing it, it functions as well as any Sunday best. Honestly, I notice no difference once on the bike. I just wish the jerseys were a little shorter so I could use the back pockets.

Incidentally, the Aldi softshells are the real pick of the range. Excellent.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

The Aldi (rather than Lidl!) stuff is 'perfect for commuting' because you can get a set of jerseys for next to nothing and not be bothered if it gets a bit bobbled etc. In terms of function, once you are wearing it, it functions as well as any Sunday best. Honestly, I notice no difference once on the bike. I just wish the jerseys were a little shorter so I could use the back pockets.

Incidentally, the Aldi softshells are the real pick of the range. Excellent.

Commuting it a tough life for bike kit. In the same way that I would choose Tiagra over Dura-Ace on my commuting bike, I would choose Aldi over Assos for my clothing. I commute many, many miles in all kinds of filthy weather. I'd rather that if I came off I wrote off a £15 jacket, rather than one costing 20 times as much. Likewise I'm not sure the Assos jacket would stand up to the constant commuting muck and washing.

My £15 jacket gets washed once a week and still performs brilliantly - and if I want to, I'll replace it next winter without a quibble. I probably won't *need* to, though. I managed fine in my Aldi kit for 5000 miles at temps as low as -14 degrees. I just wore more when it was cold, but then I could afford to buy more.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Nik Cube wrote:
    I Wouldnt use the shoes personally.

Actually , I found the Lidl Shoes to be the one item that I would rate above the Aldi equivalent. They were a close copy of Specialized Tahoe which I've also got & my first pair have lasted nearly 3 years. Bought a second pair last year, but can't see them in this years sale.

Lidl gilets are OK in my view as well.

Mike
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Mikelyons wrote:
    Nik Cube wrote:
    I Wouldnt use the shoes personally.

Actually , I found the Lidl Shoes to be the one item that I would rate above the Aldi equivalent. They were a close copy of Specialized Tahoe which I've also got & my first pair have lasted nearly 3 years. Bought a second pair last year, but can't see them in this years sale.

Lidl gilets are OK in my view as well.

Mike

Cheers for this, I was wondering about the shoes. Could do with an extra pair for winter, to help swapping about so I always have a dry pair. Don't need anything fancy, so I think I'll grab a pair.