Should I or shouldn't I? - Samui AirZound Horn 115db

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    W1 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So - why have discussion forums then? I have decided, thanks, and my advice to the OP would be the same as most of the people on this thread have stated: don't bother.

But as you say - it is up to the OP.

I saw no reason for your to sling insults at a stranger on the internet, because (in the face of snide comments from others) I gave a differing perspective (from experience). I don't think that particularly reflects on my pedaling skills or ability. In any case, I actually have no interest in going tit-for-tat with you because in general I agree with much of what you say on this site. And I like Alfas.

To those who say it's no good because when you're using it you should be on the brakes - that's why mine doesn't get used very much, because that is generally correct. But there are instances where an anticipatory blast avoids having to hit the brakes in the first place, and where there is still plenty of time to take avoiding action should the manoevre that's threatening you actually happen. It therefore has it's use.

As for active/passive means of being noticed - I don't think that is a particularly relevant distinction, provided that you are getting noticed and not squashed. Who cares if that's a light or a horn, provided it works?

I have one on my car, and use it sparingly to make others aware of my presence. I have one on my bike for the same reason.

Agreed - I apologise, I should not have called you names. My bad, apologies.

But, comparing an airhorn to lights and high viz is a bit silly, IMHO..

**Stumbles off feeling sheepish**
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    Crikey! I didn't expect to have so many people get so passionate. To be honest, the only use I originally considered this horn useful for was for the cabbie that wants to keep going trying to justify their crap driving by the typical string of expletives you get when you take 90% of cabbies to task. If you want to flame me for finding the idea enjoyable of pointing the handlbars at his open window and giving him a blast then I agree to disagree. You've obviously never met the ones who deliberately want to cut you up and give you a serve about not paying road tax while following you down the road for 100 metres.

As for it's usefulness as a horn to warn others of an impending collision then I'd rather keep both hands on the handlbars and just yell. I do agree that if you got time to move your hand to use the thing you should have time to avoid the crash in the first place. So far being attentive and a loud "oi" has been enough to miss peds in 9 years..... except that ninja one night who ran out from between two busses on Bishopsgate. Nothing I could have done except for his sake thank the lucky stars I wasn't something on 4 wheels.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Sewinman wrote:
    'Being noticed' is a red herring, people use air horns to show indignant rage at other peoples mistakes. It is just a very loud angry tut.

Hahahaha! Spot on!

Noodles, it sounds like you're just after it to try to deafen cab drivers. In that case, I would surmise that you're acting like a bit of a pillock, and therefore fit perfectly into the airzound user group.
  • gtvlusso
    Sewinman wrote:
    'Being noticed' is a red herring, people use air horns to show indignant rage at other peoples mistakes. It is just a very loud angry tut.

Hahahaha! Spot on!

Noodles, it sounds like you're just after it to try to deafen cab drivers. In that case, I would surmise that you're acting like a bit of a pillock, and therefore fit perfectly into the airzound user group.

LMAO :-) :-)

Have now ejected coffee onto brand new 22" Dell flatscreen monitor......sadly, not mine, best get my best purchase request pen and find my signoff limits!
  • noodles71
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

There is a difference between a mistake and everyone move on or someone who then wants to follow you down the road hurling abuse or deliberatlely swerving towards you, slamming on brakes etc.... I'm guessing that most cabbies that hate cyclists are the Daily Mail reading type that would be equally against unloading a torrent of expletives at a lady which could be the reason you've may not have experienced it.

I will put my hand up though and agree with most of you it has very little use. I'll continue to just give them a wide berth and let them get on with their anger of being stuck in traffic and paying over £1.25 p/l for their diesel.
  • gtvlusso
    noodles71 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

There is a difference between a mistake and everyone move on or someone who then wants to follow you down the road hurling abuse or deliberatlely swerving towards you, slamming on brakes etc.... I'm guessing that most cabbies that hate cyclists are the Daily Mail reading type that would be equally against unloading a torrent of expletives at a lady which could be the reason you've may not have experienced it.

I will put my hand up though and agree with most of you it has very little use. I'll continue to just give them a wide berth and let them get on with their anger of being stuck in traffic and paying over £1.25 p/l for their diesel.

Please tell me where diesel is £1.25 - it is £1.34 over here - last week I put £124 in the car!!!!!!
  • noodles71
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Please tell me where diesel is £1.25 - it is £1.34 over here - last week I put £124 in the car!!!!!!

Bloody hell..... I cycle whenever I can so I think the last time I filled up was about a month ago. I thought I was being robbed then. And to think my dad back in far Nth Qld, Australia was moaning about it going up to around 88p per litre last weekend.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    gtvlusso wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

LiT's butler fills up her car. :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Possibly but I think there's some mis-quoting going on there :wink:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    noodles71 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Bloody hell..... I cycle whenever I can so I think the last time I filled up was about a month ago. I thought I was being robbed then. And to think my dad back in far Nth Qld, Australia was moaning about it going up to around 88p per litre last weekend.

I cycle daily - Wife drives the one and only car (4 x 4 - I know :-\ ). Now asking her to keep it below 2000rpm when accelerating. Have a plan to completely de-sludge the engine to aid fuel economy as 35 miles to the gallon is starting to hurt.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    prawny wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

LiT's butler fills up her cars. :P

FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    noodles71 wrote:
    As for it's usefulness as a horn to warn others of an impending collision then I'd rather keep both hands on the handlbars and just yell. I do agree that if you got time to move your hand to use the thing you should have time to avoid the crash in the first place. So far being attentive and a loud "oi" has been enough to miss peds in 9 years..... except that ninja one night who ran out from between two busses on Bishopsgate. Nothing I could have done except for his sake thank the lucky stars I wasn't something on 4 wheels.

It's a compliment to - rather than a replacement of - your brakes, voice, lights, skill and ability.

I've never crashed when I could have avoided the crash by braking instead of using the horn. I have (I think) avoided a number of possible crashes (or perhaps near misses) due to having and using the horn (snigger).

It has surprised me that so many people are against the principle of having a way of "getting through" the noise of the city, well insulated cars etc. I must admit that I wasn't ware of us "tooters" being so thoroughly detested (although I can appreciate the sentiment as to why). That's the fault of those who use them incorrectly, and perhaps a misunderstanding of the possible benefits. But it's one of those things that once you have it, you appreciate it, and if you don't have it, you miss it. A bit like a mobile phone (oh how we mockedthose in the 1980s!).
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Blimey, such anger!

I hate to say this, but I'm (sort of) with W1 on this.

Do you "hate to say this" because you agree with me, or disagree with others...! :P

I hate to say it because I agree with you (on the point that Airzounds, used correctly, can be useful) and usually, you're a bit of a fool.

I would like to apologise to W1, I got him mixed up with someone else. Sorry.

• I had one. They work for a while but are badly made. They fall to bits. I used it seldom but effectively with vehicles. It fell to bits. I won’t buy another. It invited me to behave aggressively. An invitation I sometimes accepted (to my shame). Now i use the front bottle cage for my battery for the twin Lumicycle Lights. They can’t say they didn’t see me.

If they sorted out the cheap crappy construction I might become Mr Toad again... :oops:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    noodles71 wrote:
    I'm just wondering if the trade off is worth having something that looks a bit cumbersome hanging off the handlebars versus the pure enjoyment of blasting the lemming pedestrians and sleepy cab drivers I encounter most days.....

Apparently 115db is as loud as a jet airline taking off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote

NO YOU WOULD LOOK AND SOUND LIKE A DICK
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Blimey, such anger!

Do you "hate to say this" because you agree with me, or disagree with others...! :P

I hate to say it because I agree with you (on the point that Airzounds, used correctly, can be useful) and usually, you're a bit of a fool.

You can't leave us hanging like that, who were you confusing him with?

:twisted:
    Rules are for fools.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Waddlie wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Blimey, such anger!

You can't leave us hanging like that, who were you confusing him with?

:twisted:

You, actually!

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Really? :(
    Rules are for fools.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Calling JR to the thread......
    .... I'll get some popcorn ready.

Go for it, I have one on each bike, great for scaring dogs too when they walk in front of you, there I'm back :twisted:

Oh and as for all the do gooders here who say invest in cycle training, C***, are you saying all peds are perfect, and we should think for them.

I ONLY use my airzound if and I say IF I am cut up by a driver, and when I am on a cycle path to warn people with dogs off a lead I am coming and then from at least 80' away, I have NEVER come behind someone and deliberately scared someone, but I DO use it on morons who step off pavements in front of me without looking listening to ipods, why should I swerve in front of a car to avoid a moron.

Happy now.......................................... :twisted:

Please can we have an emoticon that sticks it's tongue out :D
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • jeremyrundle
    By the way, in Plymouth yesterday, twenty something in lycra on road bike in town centre "move it old bag" to a woman with children who dared to cross the road in a 10mph area, is this what some cyclists are about.

He didn't have a horn just a big mouth. And I have lost count of the pavement cyclists, red light jumpers, pedestrian crossing cyclists etc, non horn users are just as rude in other ways.

Said I was back, hows the popcorn holding up.

• Calling JR to the thread......

What, like this? :P
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • jeremyrundle
    Calling JR to the thread......

What, like this? :P

OK where is it, let me find that flipping thing, Oh yes, Razz, what a silly name, looks like a smile to me :!:

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Oh and as for all the do gooders here who say invest in cycle training, C***, are you saying all peds are perfect, and we should think for them.
    Yes, that is EXACTLY what all the do gooders are saying! :roll:
    I ONLY use my airzound if and I say IF I am cut up by a driver, and when I am on a cycle path to warn people with dogs off a lead I am coming and then from at least 80' away, I have NEVER come behind someone and deliberately scared someone, but I DO use it on morons who step off pavements in front of me without looking listening to ipods, why should I swerve in front of a car to avoid a moron.
    ahem...
    You have missed out the hands free morons who cycle along texting with no hands on the bars, I came up behind one yesterday, airzounded him, :twisted:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I bought one yesterday. It is rather loud ......... :twisted: . Checked my neighbour was out then pressed it a few times ....... gentley at first then a little more firmly ...... whooaaa! :shock: ......... :lol: . I could have some fun with this 8) .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Waddlie wrote:
    Really? :(

No. Just yanking your chain.

• EKE_38BPM
    Loud is good when it comes to alerting drivers. Also effective (but not good form) when used against peds (sometimes necessary though).

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Loud is good when it comes to alerting drivers. Also effective (but not good form) when used against peds (sometimes necessary though).

Think cycling has given me less tolerance for fools. Honked my horn at someone yesterday who crossed the road on his phone. Looked at me approaching then crossed anyway looking the other way...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Also on the day before went and tapped on the window of a mobile phone using driver (She was using it on the approach to the lights as well)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I can see the point when it comes to car drivers who don't look. On my commute, I pass a junction every evening where no-one bothers looking right, just look left then go (whilst looking left, I hasten to add). The problem here is that every near-miss has occurred while I have been about 2 metres directly infront of the driver, whist wearing a hi-vis jacket with lights!