notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

This doesn't surprise me.

Ditto.

How do you two angels make yourself known? A gentle cough?

<bellow>
    Oh c'mon, I was just kidding!
    </bellow>
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    Popcorn's good *munch* :lol:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    beanz & sproutz works for me :lol:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    W1 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

This doesn't surprise me.

Ditto.

How do you two angels make yourself known? A gentle cough?

Ride attentively and anticipate - worked for me for 20 years or so without an airzound or a bell.....

No need to make yourself known if you have anticipated idiocy, assessed and shot past......

So no need for lights, hi viz, bright clothing either then? Are you a ninja?!

Anything that assists in making other traffic aware of you is a good thing in my book. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there are some on here who don't get that though.

Getting noticed is one thing, scaring the crap out of an unsuspecting pedestrian is another. And yes I would have same problem with unecessarily loud car horn.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    I had one for a while and while it sounds like a good idea in practice in reality it wasn't much use. By the time your thumb has found the on button you've hit whatever it was you were trying to alert to your presence. Even if you do get to it in time, peds tend to assume it's a car/building alarm and therefore nothing for them to pay attention to. These days I use my voice - a loud "Cyclist!" usually stops red-crossing peds in their tracks and although they don't thank you for it (read - you get sworn at), at least you've avoided the accident. I have also seen a couple of riders with whistles and even one guy with a ghetto blaster strapped to his bars. I actually like that idea but haven't had the time to put it into practice...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    W1 wrote:
    Pride comes before a fall.....let's hope your arrogance doesn't get the better of you.

Prey tell, why am I so arrogant? You do not know me and I don't want to know you.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about me - I am quite happy being completely hornless, as are most of the people on this thread. You just keep parping your horn when you feel nervous or see your mate, Derek, coming out of the bookies and I am sure that you will be just dandy. The rest of us will just get on with the job, use skill, experience, ability and not waste our money - As a past "nodder", I did not need a 115db air horn...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Pride comes before a fall.....let's hope your arrogance doesn't get the better of you.

Prey tell, why am I so arrogant? You do not know me and I don't want to know you.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about me - I am quite happy being completely hornless, as are most of the people on this thread. You just keep parping your horn when you feel nervous or see your mate, Derek, coming out of the bookies and I am sure that you will be just dandy. The rest of us will just get on with the job, use skill, experience, ability and not waste our money - As a past "nodder", I did not need a 115db air horn...

Perhaps your 20 years of "perfect" riding coupled with your patronising tone? Your self perceived "skill" and "ability"?

It would be truly remarkable if you've managed 20 years without a single incident where you'd have been better off being noticed. Do you survive without lights using your skill and ability too? Helps saves money on batteries too I suppose.

As you don't have the perspective of having one versus not having one (like most people on this thread), unlike me, you are only able to comment from one perspecitieve, whereas I'm able to comment with experience of both. You can listen and think about it, and decide either way. As can the OP. But at least have the decency to do the first bit, first.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    In 9,500 miles I can't think of a single incident where a horn would have helped or where being able to reach for the horn would have been better than taking evasive action. Mind, I don't plan on buying one to find out. Its safe to also say that the first few thousands miles were not done with much skill or ability.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    W1 wrote:
    It would be truly remarkable if you've managed 20 years without a single incident where you'd have been better off being noticed. Do you survive without lights using your skill and ability too? Helps saves money on batteries too I suppose.

How can it ever be remarkable?

The lights, hi-viz, reflectors et al are PASSIVE means of being noticed. The only way you can compare your ridiculous airzound to these is to have it parping away as you cycle along.

Oh, wait.

The time it takes you to hit the bloody button / whatever, is far far better spent performing avoiding actions, not continuing on a path and being loud about it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    W1 wrote:
    Perhaps your 20 years of "perfect" riding coupled with your patronising tone? Your self perceived "skill" and "ability"?

Yes - that will be it - I am so great and wonderful - you should bow to me.

2 incidents of note: Where a woman knocked me off on a roundabout - ran into the back of me whilst on her phone. Where I punched out a van driver after he deliberately ran into me after throwing coffe in my face as I cycled by - well documented on this site, A low moment on my behalf, broke his jaw though, so, secrectly happy with my right hook.
    W1 wrote:

Lights are not an airhorn and lights have no relevence in any argument that you have - of course we all use lights and high viz. Statements you are making around this are simply covering the fact that an airhorn is not required. Maybe you are confusing optics with audio - An airhorn will not make you more visible, it makes a silly noise and looks ghey, lights and high viz will make you more visible, not an airhorn.

Yes, I am blessed to have ridden in many cities and countries and have gone from a nodder to a reasonable cyclist - without an airhorn. No, I use lights and high viz when necessary - adverse weather, night, as anyone would. An airhorn has never been required to make myself known; even as a child riding the streets on my Raleigh Commando - please read other users comments on this subject.
    W1 wrote:
    As you don't have the perspective of having one versus not having one (like most people on this thread), unlike me, you are only able to comment from one perspecitieve, whereas I'm able to comment with experience of both. You can listen and think about it, and decide either way. As can the OP. But at least have the decency to do the first bit, first.

So - why have discussion forums then? I have decided, thanks, and my advice to the OP would be the same as most of the people on this thread have stated: don't bother.

But as you say - it is up to the OP.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Got to this late and there seems to be a mixing of being visible with audio (plus raging anger).

I like the idea of an airhorn as a means of showing my wrath to wrongdoers, but as a safety device its nearly always going to be useless. Keeping both hands on the grips and taking evasive action is going to be far more useful and quicker than lunging for a button (bell also useless in traffic).

Let's say you do get to use this device then there's a fair chance that the ped will freeze or do something erratic when frightened and a vehicle has engine/radio sound to drown you out or they won't equate the horn with you.

Save the cash and get some other gear of use if safety is your argument or buy if displaying wrath and being a git is what you want to do.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    Wow! I've only been away for 3 hours. You lot have been busy.

Carry on.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Blimey, such anger!

I hate to say this, but I'm (sort of) with W1 on this.

I've had an Airzound for the last few months and I think it is a useful bit of kit. It doesn't get used often, but on the few occasions I have used it, I'm glad I had it.

I wouldn't bother with using it on a 'Sunday best' road bike, but on a commuter I think it has a place.

I don't use it to scare peds.
    I don't use it to berate dodgy drivers.
    I don't use it to intimidate.

Cars have horns for a reason. Sometimes, no matter how much you observe and anticipate, stuff happens where you need to alert another road user that you are around.
    That need also exists on a bike.

You lot can carry on insulting each other now, I've had my 2 pence worth.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • In a car, you can brake with your foot and hit the horn with your hand.

My rather conceited view is that if you need to use one of these things to warn a vehicle or a ped, your mad defensive riding skillz have already gone fail.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    On the Vitamin I can brake (both or either brake) and hit the horn at the same time.

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    'Being noticed' is a red herring, people use air horns to show indignant rage at other peoples mistakes. It is just a very loud angry tut.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Sewinman wrote:
    'Being noticed' is a red herring, people use air horns to show indignant rage at other peoples mistakes. It is just a very loud angry tut.

Not all people.

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Where I punched out a van driver after he deliberately ran into me after throwing coffe in my face as I cycled by - well documented on this site, A low moment on my behalf, broke his jaw though, so, secrectly happy with my right hook.

My new hero. Well done sir!

Air horns sound like a horrible idea to me and I would be thoroughly pissed off if someone ever used one anywhere near me.
  • W1
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So - why have discussion forums then? I have decided, thanks, and my advice to the OP would be the same as most of the people on this thread have stated: don't bother.

But as you say - it is up to the OP.

I saw no reason for your to sling insults at a stranger on the internet, because (in the face of snide comments from others) I gave a differing perspective (from experience). I don't think that particularly reflects on my pedaling skills or ability. In any case, I actually have no interest in going tit-for-tat with you because in general I agree with much of what you say on this site. And I like Alfas.

To those who say it's no good because when you're using it you should be on the brakes - that's why mine doesn't get used very much, because that is generally correct. But there are instances where an anticipatory blast avoids having to hit the brakes in the first place, and where there is still plenty of time to take avoiding action should the manoevre that's threatening you actually happen. It therefore has it's use.

As for active/passive means of being noticed - I don't think that is a particularly relevant distinction, provided that you are getting noticed and not squashed. Who cares if that's a light or a horn, provided it works?

I have one on my car, and use it sparingly to make others aware of my presence. I have one on my bike for the same reason.
  • W1
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Blimey, such anger!

Do you "hate to say this" because you agree with me, or disagree with others...! :P
  • sketchley
    Question to anyone who has one, please answer honestly. The last 5 times you used the horn did you do it before the other driver performed a dodgy manover, as they where doing it or after the event to let them know what they had done?
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    W1 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Blimey, such anger!

Do you "hate to say this" because you agree with me, or disagree with others...! :P

I hate to say it because I agree with you (on the point that Airzounds, used correctly, can be useful) and usually, you're a bit of a twat.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Don't have one, don't want one. I can't remember the last time I used the horn in a car other than checking it worked before the dreaded MOT.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    I bought one quite recently and will fit it to my bike as soon as it comes back from repair/ upgrade. If I fit it right on the dropped bars I can cover both airzound and brakes at the same time, enabling me both to avoid danger and give notice of my existence. I've thought to myself a few rules about when I'm going to use it.

i) Only use when there is a clear and immediate danger to your safety. E.g a car starts moving into your lane which would take you out, and you are in a position where it is very difficult or impossible to get out of that situation (happened to me on Monday, had to hit the guy's van to make him aware)

ii) avoid using on pedestrians unless they definitely fall into category above. The majority of times you see a pedestrian about to cross in front of you, you can anticipate it. If they cross that closely to you, then you'll hit them regardless, so the airzound would be useless.

iii) Don't use it when talking would be acceptable. I've seen a cyclist airzound another cyclist because they were weaving all over the road. Why bother? If you're compelled to tell someone about their actions, just tell them. No need to give them a heart attack first.

iv) An airzound is not a replacement for a bell, so don't use it like one. Bells are acceptable against pedestrians who aren't looking where they're going if you're not sure that they're going to step out or not, an airzound is unnecessary for that.

v) Don't bother with an airzound if you can't use it and brake at the same time. This is why so many people think an airzound is useless, and on many bikes it is. If you're using your airzound appropriately (see i) above) then you will also be likely to be braking and/ or avoiding immediate hazards at the same time. There's no use airzounding a car which you then collide with because you've been too busy tooting away. I can use my airzound with the last two fingers of my left hand while i brake with the index and middle finger; though if something occured really quickly, forget the airzound and emergency brake.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Finally if you have time to hit an air horn you have time to hit the brakes to avoid the accident so I really don't see the need.

This. Pedestrian wandered blithely into my path yesterday evening. Noticed, slowed, covered the brakes and started to move around. Suppose I could've shouted etc, but the fraction of a second of terror as he suddenly noticed me (by which point there was 0 chance of us colliding) and froze was entertaining enough as I carried on.

I had something similar. I slowed a bit, he jumped out of the way and said sorry. As he said sorry I said 's'alright'. We both carried on and he'll probably look next time.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    What ever happened to those speaker/walkie talkie things they had in the 80s? My cousin had one on his Grifter. I think it was yellow and had siren sounds too. I'd have one of those but not an airzound.

EDIT: Bitchin'. I found one.

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/kids-cycle- ... googlebase
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I bought one quite recently and will fit it to my bike as soon as it comes back from repair/ upgrade. If I fit it right on the dropped bars I can cover both airzound and brakes at the same time, enabling me both to avoid danger and give notice of my existence. I've thought to myself a few rules about when I'm going to use it.

i) Only use when there is a clear and immediate danger to your safety. E.g a car starts moving into your lane which would take you out, and you are in a position where it is very difficult or impossible to get out of that situation (happened to me on Monday, had to hit the guy's van to make him aware)

ii) avoid using on pedestrians unless they definitely fall into category above. The majority of times you see a pedestrian about to cross in front of you, you can anticipate it. If they cross that closely to you, then you'll hit them regardless, so the airzound would be useless.

iii) Don't use it when talking would be acceptable. I've seen a cyclist airzound another cyclist because they were weaving all over the road. Why bother? If you're compelled to tell someone about their actions, just tell them. No need to give them a heart attack first.

iv) An airzound is not a replacement for a bell, so don't use it like one. Bells are acceptable against pedestrians who aren't looking where they're going if you're not sure that they're going to step out or not, an airzound is unnecessary for that.

v) Don't bother with an airzound if you can't use it and brake at the same time. This is why so many people think an airzound is useless, and on many bikes it is. If you're using your airzound appropriately (see i) above) then you will also be likely to be braking and/ or avoiding immediate hazards at the same time. There's no use airzounding a car which you then collide with because you've been too busy tooting away. I can use my airzound with the last two fingers of my left hand while i brake with the index and middle finger; though if something occured really quickly, forget the airzound and emergency brake.
    Blimey, it's lucky God only told ol' Moses how Man had to live rather than how to use his bicycle hooter or he'd never have managed to lug those tablets down the mountain.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    BR 1979 wrote:

Blimey, it's lucky God only told ol' Moses how Man had to live rather than how to use his bicycle hooter or he'd never have managed to lug those tablets down the mountain.

Moses should have put the tablets in panniers, so much easier...
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,162
    It would be much more fun to have a machine on your bike that could say very loudly "Don't jump the red light you f*****g Tw@t". Presumably technology can manage a compact but loud voice synthesiser these days. It would be safe to use as it would usually only get used when stopped at traffic lights, unless you really needed to use it on the go to attract the attention of a lorry or whatever. :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sketchley
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It would be much more fun to have a machine on your bike that could say very loudly "Don't jump the red light you f*****g Tw@t". Presumably technology can manage a compact but loud voice synthesiser these days. It would be safe to use as it would usually only get used when stopped at traffic lights, unless you really needed to use it on the go to attract the attention of a lorry or whatever. :wink:
    Kurako wrote:
    What ever happened to those speaker/walkie talkie things they had in the 80s? My cousin had one on his Grifter. I think it was yellow and had siren sounds too. I'd have one of those but not an airzound.

EDIT: Bitchin'. I found one.

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/kids-cycle- ... googlebase
    --
    Chris