Should I or shouldn't I? - Samui AirZound Horn 115db

noodles71
noodles71 Posts: 153
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm just wondering if the trade off is worth having something that looks a bit cumbersome hanging off the handlebars versus the pure enjoyment of blasting the lemming pedestrians and sleepy cab drivers I encounter most days.....

Apparently 115db is as loud as a jet airline taking off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    God, I hate the very thought of Airzounds...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    No.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    No, definitely not.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Consider cycle training.
  • Calling JR to the thread......

.... I'll get some popcorn ready.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited March 2011
    Just turn your thought process around for a second. Let's say a pedestrian on his route to work gets annoyed about the number of cyclists jumping a ped crossing, or riding on the pavement so decides to carry an Air Horn so starts blasting every cyclist that comes close or looks like they might jump a light. How would you feel being blasted at a red light you where going to stop at but the pedestrian thought they would warn you about just in case?

Likewise let's say a cab driver deployed the same trick and put a pair of air horns on front of their cab then blasted them everytime a cyclist is in the way, or not in the cycle lane, or about to jump a red light, or thinking about pulling out in front of the cab. How would you feel about that?

The fact that you want to install this for your own enjoyment rather than to warn other road users of your presence so as to avoid an accident says a lot about you and the way you must ride your bike.

Finally if you have time to hit an air horn you have time to hit the brakes to avoid the accident so I really don't see the need.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Calling JR to the thread......

Must restrain myself... must restrain myself... must restrain myself...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Nope.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Airzound = cockhorn

That is all.

(you really better get the popcorn out now)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    BZZZZZZZZZZrrt...no
    Hat + Beard
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Calling JR to the thread......

Must restrain myself... must restrain myself... must restrain myself...
    Careful. This is a family forum :P
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you like needlessly scaring the sh*t out of people then go for it...

I've heard them used a few times and while it might be satisfying, its a pretty antisocial thing to do.

I prefer a bellowed epithet myself :P
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    Finally if you have time to hit an air horn you have time to hit the brakes to avoid the accident so I really don't see the need.

This. Pedestrian wandered blithely into my path yesterday evening. Noticed, slowed, covered the brakes and started to move around. Suppose I could've shouted etc, but the fraction of a second of terror as he suddenly noticed me (by which point there was 0 chance of us colliding) and froze was entertaining enough as I carried on.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I suppose it might have the advantage of warning people that a douchebag's approaching. Other than that, no. Pay attention instead.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I suppose all those saying no have disconnected their car horns too?

I have one, it doesn't get much use but it's a good preventative device when your spider senses are tingling or a car gets too close.

Cars take far, far more notice of something that sounds like a truck horn than they do a bike bell or a shout.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    +1 for kieran Burns and dhope.

Although could just about sanction a Dukes of Hazard style one for comic effect as long as it wasn't too loud. My Bro in law had on on his XR2i in the '80's, marvellous!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

This doesn't surprise me.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Personally I'm not a fan, but depends how you use them I suppose.

As a warning device, fine.

To scare and intimidate others, never.
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

It's oik-ish to "bellow" at people....
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

Ditto.
  • sketchley
    @W1

Used simply to warn another road user I can see a time when this is a good tool to have, however it would not be my choice. But OP stated they wished to use it for "the pure enjoyment of blasting the lemming pedestrians and sleepy cab drivers", this is I do not find acceptable at all. Do you agree?
    --
    Chris

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

It's oik-ish to "bellow" at people....

It's twat-ish to have an airzound.....

:-)
  • sketchley
    noodles71 wrote:

Apparently 115db is as loud as a jet airline taking off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

While I'm at it this wrong. Decibels are a measure of sound pressure and it changes in respect of distance from source. Halve the distance between you and source and the db increases by 3db. Doubled the distance and it decreases by the same. Therefor 115db can be as loud or as quiet as anything depending on the distance from the object. Considering you would be a only a couple of meters from the pedestrian when you blast them this would be a lot quieter than being the same distance from a jet airline when taken off.
    --
    Chris

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sketchley wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:

(snip)

Considering you would be a only a couple of meters from the pedestrian when you blast them this would be a lot quieter than being the same distance from a jet airline when taken off.

and an awful lot less exciting..... :shock:

(having stood behind a Tornado GR4 taking off... I can testify to this....

tornadotakeoff3.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • W1
    Sketchley wrote:
    @W1

Used simply to warn another road user I can see a time when this is a good tool to have, however it would not be my choice. But OP stated they wished to use it for "the pure enjoyment of blasting the lemming pedestrians and sleepy cab drivers", this is I do not find acceptable at all. Do you agree?

Not the use for "pure enjoyment" - anymore than I would agree that shouting at peds for the same reason was acceptable.

Those who prefer to shout are no better than someone using a horn.

And those who think a bell is sufficient when trying to get the attention of an HGV are deluded.

And those who don't think bikes should have any way of making themselves known to other road users are daft.

As bikes are silent - and bearing in mind most cars are increasingly sound-retarding, and I-Peds are abundant, having the ability to make yourself seen (through noise) is no worse than wearing bright colours or having lights for the same reason.

It's certainly saved my bacon a couple of times, particularly with regards to cars swapping lanes, so if used accordingly it's just another way to help to be seen and avoid being wiped out. I think it's fool-ish not to have one, as much as it's foolish not to have a horn on your car.
  • W1
    Sewinman wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

Ditto.

How do you two angels make yourself known? A gentle cough?
  • gtvlusso
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

Ditto.

Ride attentively and anticipate - worked for me for 20 years or so without an airzound or a bell.....

No need to make yourself known if you have anticipated idiocy, assessed and shot past......
  • W1
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

Ditto.

Ride attentively and anticipate - worked for me for 20 years or so without an airzound or a bell.....

No need to make yourself known if you have anticipated idiocy, assessed and shot past......

So no need for lights, hi viz, bright clothing either then? Are you a ninja?!

Anything that assists in making other traffic aware of you is a good thing in my book. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there are some on here who don't get that though.
  • gtvlusso
    W1 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I have one.

Ditto.

So no need for lights, hi viz, bright clothing either then? Are you a ninja?!

Anything that assists in making other traffic aware of you is a good thing in my book. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there are some on here who don't get that though.

[insult]

you, sir, are a pr*t.....

[/insult]

[fact]

It is not necessary to have a 115db horn on a bicycle - if you believe that you need one, invest in some cycle training and learn to anticipiate trouble before you cause or are involved in it. Please accept that some people are more experienced cyclists and simply better at cycling than you are.

[/fact]
  • W1
    gtvlusso wrote:
    [insult]

you, sir, are a pr*t.....

[/insult]

[fact]

It is not necessary to have a 115db horn on a bicycle - if you believe that you need one, invest in some cycle training and learn to anticipiate trouble before you cause or are involved in it. Please accept that some people are more experienced cyclists and simply better at cycling than you are.

[/fact]
    Brilliant, intelligent response.

I didn't mean you, but thanks for the insult anyway.

I've never said it's necessary, but that there are benefits that the "no" nodders on here don't get and overall being noticed is a good thing.

I note that you haven't actually responded to the points I made, just tried to be insulting.

Pride comes before a fall.....let's hope your arrogance doesn't get the better of you.