Ragley mmmm Bop or On-One 456?

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Have been considering doing a custom build and was thinking of a hard hitting hard tail I could blast round trails and natural stuff.

These two seem like great value (especially the on-one), just wondered what are peoples thoughts on these frames?

I see the ragley is nearly £100 more than the on-one, any particular reason for that?

Cheers
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• buff
    buff Posts: 139
    what is your budget for the total build?
    carrera fury
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Two completely different frames.The MMbop is allu and the 456 is steel.Both can take a long travel fork,depends if you prefer the feel of a steel frame.Either or really.The Blue pig is probably easier to compare to the 456.
    I bought a Bop frame when they were £150 8) 8) but before that had considered a 456SS :D
    Everyone I know with a bop loves it,as do the people I know who own/have owned a 456 8)
  • Sorry to add to your confusion but have you considered a Sanderson Life...
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    How do the Ragley and On One handle 100mm upfront?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    well tbf, the onone could if you wanted it to. But why would you buy a hard hitting frame like a 456 and then stick a puny xc fork on there? You need at least 140mm to keep it all 'balanced', but i'd be running 140mm or a rev u turn.
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    my order has just gone on for a carbon 456 trail!!!

Just SLIGHTLY excited!!

The 456's seem cracking value for a relatively hardcore trail bike
  • getonyourbike
    my choice would be an mmmbop with some decent sized tyres. As the mmmbop is lighter and the 456 isn't particularly comfortable, infact, it's quite uncomfortable for a steel frame. The mmmbop also has very good power transfer. But for the money, the 456 is untouchable.
  • sniper68
    Stoo61 wrote:
    If 100mm is all you want upfront then the scandal would be better.
    Mines having a set of Revs 8)
    5441721310_42955532f1.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about a On One 456 Summer Season. Takes 100mm - 160mm up front and has pretty slack geometry so even with short forks it should be good as a hardcore hardtail, will certainly be more fun downhill than any XC frame.
    I have built mine up with 160mm Rockshox Domains for a proper hardcore build.
  • getonyourbike
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Stoo61 wrote:
    If 100mm is all you want upfront then the scandal would be better.
    Mines having a set of Revs 8)
    5441721310_42955532f1.jpg
    that's the first picture I've seen of the lime green, where it actually looks nice. Now I see why everybody says, "The camera doesn't do the colour justice". It looks lovely. I'm hard pressed to decide on my dream (never going to happen) build between an mmmbop and a carbon 456.
  • i'm running a 456 ss with 100mm RS rebas as I ran out of monies but at some point it will get the RS revelations it needs
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • sniper68
    that's the first picture I've seen of the lime green, where it actually looks nice. Now I see why everybody says, "The camera doesn't do the colour justice". It looks lovely. I'm hard pressed to decide on my dream (never going to happen) build between an mmmbop and a carbon 456.
    I wasn't sure then I saw one in the flesh at the bike shop at Gisburn,liked it and as my mate already had the blue one I took advantage of the price drop on CRC 8)
    Got the Revs of a mate and everything except the fork/stem and bars will be new 8)
  • Hi

I've just built an mmmBop (also lime green - nice....) with Domain u-turns - 115-160 ride

Had my first ride out and was really chuffed with the way it felt, climbs like a dream and is light and nimble downhill. Never ridden an on-one but I know what I like, and the mmmBop I like!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mmmmmmmmmbop & 456 Summer Season have quite similar geometry so would probably ride very similar but slightly heavier & slightly more comfy.
    How heavy is your Mmmbop with domains? My Summer Season with domains & DH wheels is about 32lb.
  • Not sure on the weight but my last ride was spec'ed at 30lbs and this is definitely lighter
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • Sodfoster
    Cheers for th comments guys,

It would seem people are favoring the Ragley at the mo?

Buff: My overall intial budget for the build is around £500. However, I already have a fork, brakes and wheel set (both coming from a new bike) ready to go on. I was thinking of the on-ones just because of the low price (£169) and I have seen merlin doing the SLX group set for around £250 which would fit nicely under budget.

Rockmonkey SC: The summer season was the frame that caught my eye, however the forks I have are 5in so I thought they may upset the geometry (I know on-one says 100-160 but why would you want to put a 140 or less fork on it), this fork will only be a stop gap with a view to buying a 6in travel eventually.

And not looked at the Sanderson....any good??
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• Alex1988
    Alex1988 Posts: 109
    I have an mmmBop and love it. It did take a few rides to get used to it though!

You can pick an SLX groupset from for £170 (ish) delivered

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Component ... 28904.html

I bought my groupset for my mmmBop build from there an it came within 3 working days.

Alex
    exercise.png
  • rockmonkeysc
    Plenty of people run 5" forks on Summer Season frames, the super slack geometry means that even with a shorter fork it still rides like a proper hardcore hardtail.
    With a 160mm fork it has the head angle of a proper downhill bike :D
  • Sodfoster
    Alex1988 wrote:

I bought my groupset for my mmmBop build from there an it came within 3 working days.

Alex

This is a great buy! cheers Alex, you say you had no issues with these guys?

Also to all the guys recommending the 465 summer season, that is now a no go I have just realized it has a Yorkshire rose head badge (No chance!) I may live in Glasgow but im a Lancashire lad through and through.
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• Alex1988
    Alex1988 Posts: 109
    No problems at all, plenty of other people off of here have used them too!
    exercise.png
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    Alex1988 wrote:

Alex

I see the mmmbop needs a Top Pull mech. What is the difference between Top Swing (M660) and Conventional (M661) mechs? Is Top Swing and Top Pull the same?
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    youll be luckyy to get an mmm bop their not making them any more i love mine.my only criticism is that the frame is stiff for any long distances do four or five hour rides and you will get pretty sore compared to my on one inbred which is very comfortable.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Alex1988 wrote:

Alex
    Well i know what i'll be lobbing for on payday! Bargainlicious!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • getonyourbike
    legin wrote:
    youll be luckyy to get an mmm bop their not making them any more i love mine.my only criticism is that the frame is stiff for any long distances do four or five hour rides and you will get pretty sore compared to my on one inbred which is very comfortable.
    you need some fatter tyres on there, and then you'll have comfort and instant power transfer. Real stomp and go stuff.

There is a new mmmbop coming out. It'll cost £249 and the rear brake caliper will be on the seatstay, not the chainstay. The new colours are still tbc.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Sodfoster wrote:
    The summer season was the frame that caught my eye, however the forks I have are 5in so I thought they may upset the geometry (I know on-one says 100-160 but why would you want to put a 140 or less fork on it), this fork will only be a stop gap with a view to buying a 6in travel eventually.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the original idea behind the Summer Season was for around a 120 mm fork. The slacker angles combine with the shorter height of the fork to give something kicked out about as much as a regular 456. So, handling of a slack bike without the weight and wallow of the big fork.

On One do seem to market it as a more hard nut bike now though.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Shotsaway wrote:
    I see the mmmbop needs a Top Pull mech. What is the difference between Top Swing (M660) and Conventional (M661) mechs? Is Top Swing and Top Pull the same?

Pull and swing are different.

Pull is which direction the gear cable comes from, dictated by the cable guides.

Swing is to do with which way the actual mech moves, and is dictated by frame (usually rear sus) design. Not tired it, but mmmBop should be fine with either top or conventional swing.
  • Sodfoster
    legin wrote:

There is a new mmmbop coming out. It'll cost £249 and the rear brake caliper will be on the seatstay, not the chainstay. The new colours are still tbc.

Any ideas when??
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The OnOne Summer Season is quite a crude frame really. Heavier plain gauge tubing, basic finish and paint. But as a cheap hard hitting frame with slack angles it works. I'd only ever use it on a budget build really, there are lighter frames about that are just as strong.
  • rockmonkeysc
    But as a cheap hard hitting frame with slack angles it works. I'd only ever use it on a budget build really, there are lighter frames about that are just as strong.

True. If I had the spare cash Cotic BFe would be top of the list for me, they were selling them for £300 recently. Blue Pig also gets good reviews but just didn't feel like I could abuse it quite as much as the 456SS when I tried one. Would like to try the Evil Sovereign as well.
    Has to be steel for me though, mainly because when I break it I can TIG weld it back together :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Orange P7 is even heavier mind!