Reflectors on pedals

13»

Comments

• The latest word on dodgy undercounter bicycle dealings http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010 ... ction/made

At this rate I am signing up to learn to ride a unicycle.

:roll:

I love this bit " (17) Subject to paragraph (18) the prohibition in paragraph (1) applies also to a person—

(a)offering to supply a bicycle;

(b)agreeing to supply a bicycle;

(c)exposing a bicycle for supply; or

(d)possessing a bicycle for supply;

Bit of street cred for the kids,

What you in for mate?

Exposed a bicycle for supply innit.

Just stick some fecking quality lights on & let Darwin sort out the rest.

Tax payers rant over :D
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    RichK wrote:
    So, drifting slightly ot - what are the regulation elsewhere in Europe on pedal reflectors? Anybody know?

Because my Cube is made in Germany it built to German legal requirements so I have no pedal reflectors and no front and rear reflectors! The reason? Because my bike is less than something like 11.5kg it is classed as a race bike in Germany and therefore exempt from reflector requirements!
    exercise.png
  • ^ That is true. Just as our own laws stipulate that no bike built for competitive use needs to abide by the regulations at the point of sale.
    Try riding a bike in Germany during the hours of darkness however & you may find that it is a legal requirement to have the appropriate reflectors/lighting regardless of the weight & intended purpose of the machine.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    actually it appears that decathlon do online ordering. just pick a store to check stock and then you'll see them in stock (at surrey quays at least) and a buy online button.

from a quick check on a norfolk postcode you can only order from their lakeside store online but they're in stock with them at the moment.

Many thanks for your kind offer and help hatbeard (love this forum for exactly these kind of reasons), i have now ordered them online.

thanks again.
  • nmac_2011 wrote:
    ^ That is true. Just as our own laws stipulate that no bike built for competitive use needs to abide by the regulations at the point of sale.
    Try riding a bike in Germany during the hours of darkness however & you may find that it is a legal requirement to have the appropriate reflectors/lighting regardless of the weight & intended purpose of the machine.

Wow - I now have 3 reasons why my Cube Reaction Race came with no reflectors on the pedals:
    - German
    - Competitive (I'm assuming that's what "Race" means - rather than ethnic origin)
    - MTB & therefore not intended for the road.

Given that the Police around here are only interested in speeding and protecting motorbikes, I think I'm safe from prosecution. I think that the way I'm lit and the other reflectors I'm wearing - I think a defence lawyer would have a hard time claiming my lack of pedal reflectors was a contributary factor to any accident I might be involved in.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I think I'm safe from prosecution. I think that the way I'm lit and the other reflectors I'm wearing - I think a defence lawyer would have a hard time claiming my lack of pedal reflectors was a contributary factor to any accident I might be involved in.

This is the kind of logic I subscribe to.

Infact if a motorist happens to spot my altura night vision jacket/overtrousers or the reflective heel bits of my s-works shoes ( on a straight road ) before, they manage to clock two fibre flares ( one on each seatstay ) & two Smart Watt lunar r2's on the seatpost or, from the front, an exposure six pack/two single shot plus & a tora headtorch then, I would suggest the angle of their headlamps does not comply with vehicle construction & use regulations.

Reflectors are only good where there is a direct line of sight

Good lights however with a wide dispersion of light can indicate the presence of a vehicle/bike around a corner depending on the beam pattern.
    Given that the Police around here are only interested in speeding and protecting motorbikes, I think I'm safe from prosecution. I think that the way I'm lit and the other reflectors I'm wearing - I think a defence lawyer would have a hard time claiming my lack of pedal reflectors was a contributary factor to any accident I might be involved in.
    Police will occasionally "blitz" cyclists for lack of lights, if not reflectors unless they were being really picky. In this case, you would get a £30 fine even though no accident took place.
  • snailracer wrote:
    Police will occasionally "blitz" cyclists for lack of lights, if not reflectors unless they were being really picky. In this case, you would get a £30 fine even though no accident took place.

Not up here they don't. They used to in Cambridge when I was a kid.

Mind you I was once pulled over up here (not long after I moved up) for "accelerating too fast onto a roundabout" in my "powerful sportscar". The car in question (a smart Roadster Coupe) had 800cc and 82bhp! The Astra van that pulled me over was more powerful....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • " Not up here they don't "

Strangely enough I have the exact same experience.

When I used to be a student & worked in a 24 hour petrol station before the legal acceptance of LED lights ( which the local traffic police used as an unofficial/investigating top shelf reading material tea break stop :lol: ). I posed the question they aint exactly legal whats the outcome?

The reply inbetween sips of tea & drooling over females in various stages of undress was,
    As long as you have lights & can be seen nobody is going to pull you.

So if you are getting pulled I suggest you contact your MP & ask them what they are doing over the obvious disparity between modern lighting systems & archaic legal requirements.

If enough people hassle their MP'S then this bollix can be put to bed once & for all.
  • I had probably a rubbish idea but as my speedplay cleats are massive and have square edges, do you think gluing foraged reflectors on the front and rear of them would pass the law?

speedplay_2_hi.jpg
    (image from roadcyclinguk)
  • I had probably a rubbish idea but as my speedplay cleats are massive and have square edges, do you think gluing foraged reflectors on the front and rear of them would pass the law?

speedplay_2_hi.jpg
    (image from roadcyclinguk)

Are they BS ( meaning British Standard Compliant, not B**L S**T )

If they are not BS compliant then try again you obvious criminal deviant :wink:
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Anybody here use panniers? Followed a rider in to work this morning & noticed how their pedals were invisible (me not having x-ray vision & all that).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • RichK wrote:
    Anybody here use panniers? Followed a rider in to work this morning & noticed how their pedals were invisible (me not having x-ray vision & all that).

Another excellent example of how the law relating to bicycle lighting regulations is flawed!
  • RichK wrote:

yup see my post early on in the thread
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Ok here is it

http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/b ... aycode.htm

Have orange pedal reflectors The law! (if cycle manufactured after 01/10/1985)

"Any cycle manufactured after 1st October 1985 must also have pedal reflectors."

That's my old bike (with it's new reflectorless eggbeater pedals) OK, then.

How old is your bike?
    This post contains traces of nuts.