Reflectors on pedals

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Is it law to have reflectors on pedals, I ask because I have just fitted my bikes with new pedals and not only do they not have any but there is no where to fit them, also I have been told that the only one needed legall is the read rear.

I thought you needed (the law though the Police have better things to do) was white front, red rear and orange on pedals.

Thank you
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    The red rear and orange pedal lights are supposedly mandatory.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    CTC Website:

Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

Not easy if you have SPDs - personally I wearthesewhich have the same general effect.
    WowWow.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go on ebay. Get reflective tape. Apply to pedal body. Sorted.

(not that I've ever heard of anyone getting stopped for it anyway - but if you ride after dark - get as much reflective as you can !)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Not all pedals have a body that you can attach tape to.

The only pedals I ever see that actually have reflectors are the plastic cheapies that come with supermarket BSOs.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Is it law to have reflectors on pedals, I ask because I have just fitted my bikes with new pedals and not only do they not have any but there is no where to fit them, also I have been told that the only one needed legall is the read rear.

I thought you needed (the law though the Police have better things to do) was white front, red rear and orange on pedals.

Thank you

Time to become a law-breaking deviant like many of us :twisted:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:

Time to become a law-breaking deviant like many of us :twisted:[/quote]

I have to agree, as I have no where to fit anything on the new pedals, in fact I don't even have reflectors on any bike, just plenty of lights, though I do like the armbands here so will get a pair, thanks

• Is it law to have reflectors on pedals, I ask because I have just fitted my bikes with new pedals and not only do they not have any but there is no where to fit them
    SPDs?

Some SPDs can fit these. Don't know if they meet the BS.
    asset_7490380.jpg

As long as your pedal axle is free-moving, the platform also works to weight the pedal so the SPD is presented upwards by default.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Those things look like platforms that clip onto SPDs so that you can ride in shoes, rather than pedals with reflectors.

OP, got to Tesco and buy some reflective stickers. Apply them liberally all over the bike.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Those things look like platforms that clip onto SPDs so that you can ride in shoes, rather than pedals with reflectors.

Shimano supply them with, in my experience, M520 double sided SPDs at least. Yes they are platforms you can use with normal shoes but that leaves the other side for SPDs; I have made use of them on my hack bike cos I like to have reflectors and the once in a blue moon when I cycle in normal shoes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mr_si wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Shimano supply them with, in my experience, M520 double sided SPDs at least. Yes they are platforms you can use with normal shoes but that leaves the other side for SPDs; I have made use of them on my hack bike cos I like to have reflectors and the once in a blue moon when I cycle in normal shoes.

Ahh. You live and learn
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'd love to see a bureaucrat demonstrate how to fit reflectors to, say, a set of eggbeaters! It's like practicing your longbow every day- an anachronism.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'd love to see a bureaucrat demonstrate how to fit reflectors to, say, a set of eggbeaters! It's like practicing your longbow every day- an anachronism.

The bureaucrat doesn't need to demonstrate anything - it's down to you to not have illegal pedals!!! :wink:

I have doublesided spds with the above pictured platform on one side.

I must say, as a driver, I find pedal reflectors really easy to pick up on - the fact they are moving adds to the effect....WARNING this statement is not statistically valid, as n=1.
  • SimonAH
    Yup, 'Damn the Man'

• I've got some m324 double sided with the cage & paid £5 or so for reflectors that bolt on rather than the crappo plastic push ins. The colour, shape & motion say bike like nothing else when I'm driving.

+1 for ankle bands as a plan B tho,
  • 60At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

[Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24)]

the SPD things from shimano look good. I personally have heath robinsoned some onto the SPDs I use[/b]
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Suffice to say, that if you get whacked by a car at night and your bike is not road legal (e.g. no pedal reflectors), this may well be used as mitigation for the person that hit you.
  • SimonAH
    If I'm running two half watt rear lights, three front lights (one of them 250 lumens), wearing clothing with reflective striping and have a reflector on all 64 spokes and some arse still hits me at night because he can't see me then it had better be fatal because otherwise he'll be waking up naked tied to a pine tree in the middle of the forestry.

Sod pedal reflectors.

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    SimonAH wrote:
    ISod pedal reflectors.

You're riding illegally then; this will most likely be pulled up in court if you're involved in any incident. You would expect the same if the car that hit you wasn't road legal.

To add, I think the idea is that nothing says bike like seeing a pair of orange pedal reflectors going up and down.
  • prj45 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    ISod pedal reflectors.

You're riding illegally then; this will most likely be pulled up in court if you're involved in any incident. You would expect the same if the car that hit you wasn't road legal.

To add, I think the idea is that nothing says bike like seeing a pair of orange pedal reflectors going up and down.

Thanks, now that has been clarified, then (a) I have bought some outdoor grade orange reflective tape that will stick on and (b) why do they sell pedals without when it is the law.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7711

• Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    prj45 wrote:

To me, when i'm driving, nothing says bike like the flashing lights, I'd rather use pedals i'm comfortable using rather than trying to bodge together a way to get reflectives onto these:
    Egg+beater+MXR.jpg
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Pedals don't need reflectors to be legal! You only need them if riding in the hours of darkness (30mins after sunset, I believe). The pedals in the link above will likely be used off-road anyway.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Pedals don't need reflectors to be legal! You only need them if riding in the hours of darkness (30mins after sunset, I believe). The pedals in the link above will likely be used off-road anyway.

Yeah, but I use them on my commuting bike and in the dark.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • jds_1981
    prj45 wrote:

I think I've noticed orange pedal reflectors when driving in more rural areas. Never in London though. Also just reviewed a couple of videos from my commute and I didn't get a glimpse of orange pedal flashing (I guess I do have a slightly higher vantage point though.)

The main things that generally flash into attention are: -
    Bright lights
    Reflective area on panniers,
    Leg and jacket reflective areas.

Unfortunately it seems that this is one of those areas where a crappy minimum is specified & it is easy to go above & beyond & still not comply..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I vaguely remember somewhere someone saying that clipless pedals aren't actually classified as pedals and thus don't need the reflectors. Could be utter bo**ocks though.
    I was planning on getting some reflective tape and sticking it to my commuting shoes. I am of the opinion that the main point of the pedal reflectors is that the movement clearly shows you are on a bike.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • jds_1981
    Heh, I presume this law also applies to recumbents? :D
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

• Ok here is it

http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/b ... aycode.htm

Have orange pedal reflectors The law! (if cycle manufactured after 01/10/1985)

• Ok here is it

http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/b ... aycode.htm

Have orange pedal reflectors The law! (if cycle manufactured after 01/10/1985)

• SimonAH
    You need to get that stutter looked at Jeremy old bean :D

• SimonAH wrote:
    You need to get that stutter looked at Jeremy old bean :D

Bummer isn't itttttttttttttt