Reflectors on pedals

Comments

• SimonAH wrote:
    You need to get that stutter looked at Jeremy old bean :D

Bummer isn't itttttttttttttt

SEE AGAIN, what is it with my mouse, it hates me.........................
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    If memory serves it's practically impossible to find lights with the appropriate BS markings as well. Certainly my Cateyes don't seem to have them.

In fact the only lights I remember ever having them were a really horrible set that took those half-brick sized 4.5 volt batteries that I had years ago.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    The regulations are here
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    The regulations are here

Out of interest then how many pedals/reflectors carry a british standard mark, none of mine

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There are many laws and regulations that I flout and will continue to flout.

I stand behind my earlier comment of 'Damn the Man'.

Must go now as I've got to start the swan roasting or it won't be ready in time for dinner.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    The regulations are here

Out of interest then how many pedals/reflectors carry a british standard mark, none of mine
    I like item 5
    5. Size of reflecting area: No requirement

"My reflectors are infintely small, officer. ... What do you mean you can't see them?"
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JonGinge wrote:
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    The regulations are here

I like item 5

"My reflectors are infintely small, officer. ... What do you mean you can't see them?"

Should have gone to Specsavers!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    The regulations are here

I like item 5

WTH just seen that, is it a joke, so are you saying you MUST have reflectors even if they are 1/2" by 1/4" or is that wrong

Will pop into Tavvy police station tomorrow and have a word with some of the chaps I know there. Mind you I often stop and chat with them and the PCSOs and we speak about our bikes, none have mentioned it, and I know of two at least who have MTBs with no reflectors and cycle to work.

• snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    edited February 2011
    Rule 3 says the reflectors must be "plainly visible", so that rules out those of zero size.
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    ...I think I've noticed orange pedal reflectors when driving in more rural areas. Never in London though...
    That would be due to the many big-city fancy-dans with reflectorless pedals.
  • nation wrote:
    Not all pedals have a body that you can attach tape to.

The only pedals I ever see that actually have reflectors are the plastic cheapies that come with supermarket BSOs.
    AFAIK, it is illegal for bike shops to sell a bike without pedal reflectors. The loophole used by bike shops is that they sold you a bike WITHOUT pedals, and the (reflectorless, fancy-dan) pedals were sold and fitted in a separate transaction.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    ^

I thought bikes all came with a cheap set of plastic pedals to fufill this legal obligation.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nation wrote:
    If memory serves it's practically impossible to find lights with the appropriate BS markings as well. Certainly my Cateyes don't seem to have them...
    The law now says lights that meet an "equivalent" European standard are also acceptable.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nope, a lot of bikes are sold without.

Interestingly, Halfords advertised and sold my bike with reflectorless SPDs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ^

I thought bikes all came with a cheap set of plastic pedals to fufill this legal obligation.
    Some do this. It is also legal to sell a bike with no reflectors as long as it has no pedals fitted at all, or possibly no handlebars, as it is then considered a pile of bike parts and not a vehicle ready for use.
  • As you might have guessed, I like pedal reflectors. They move up and down, unlike any other vehicle, and they are low to the ground so car headlights, which are angled downwards, will illuminate them at earliest opportunity, before the headlight beam "climbs" up to any higher-mounted reflectives.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Nope, a lot of bikes are sold without.

Interestingly, Halfords advertised and sold my bike with reflectorless SPDs.

correct .

if the bike is not to be used on the rosd then it will not need the reflectors.

hence decathlon seling me my MTB with SPDs with no reflectors. it was deemed to be a pure off road bike.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    snailracer wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    ...I think I've noticed orange pedal reflectors when driving in more rural areas. Never in London though...
    That would be due to the many big-city fancy-dans with reflectorless pedals.

Something I considered, but I did review two commutes in which I must have passed at least fifty cyclists.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    The regulations are here

I know that we all have different lives and responsibilities, but, maybe, you should relax on what is legal and focus more on what is right?

Don't worry if your pedals have BS reflectors but put reflectors on your pedals/shoes.
    Don't worry about having BS lights, just have good lights.

Have you got those spoke reflectors yet? They are not BS, put they pissallover the ones that come as standard on a new bike (and I assume are BS).

I don't know your commute or where you ride, but where I ride, visibility from the side is an issue that front/rear lights/reflectors won't solve. If that is the case, think sideways. With all of your front/rear lights (11 of them!), pedal reflectors is a very minor issue.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • my pedals (at least the commute) bike are legal in that they are cheap flats with built in reflectors, this said against all the lights and my paniers etc, they usefulness is low. I am seen by my lights.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    snailracer wrote:
    nation wrote:
    If memory serves it's practically impossible to find lights with the appropriate BS markings as well. Certainly my Cateyes don't seem to have them...
    The law now says lights that meet an "equivalent" European standard are also acceptable.

So, drifting slightly ot - what are the regulation elsewhere in Europe on pedal reflectors? Anybody know?
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Just as a matter of interest I went out Saturday, now we don't get many cyclists in Tavvy, small as it is, but there was free cycle security marking at both cycle shops run by the West Devon Cycle project, NOT ONE bike had all one would consider legal.

Not one bike had the set of pedal reflectors with front and rear reflectors and no one that I spoke to was aware of the law regarding bikes.

Perhaps that says a lot for the "system", if you don't educate people you can not expect them to know, and ages ranged from children to the retired.

We all have (or at least when I passed I had to) to know the law or some of it when learning to drive, perhaps there should be a compulsory one day course run by the local council for all new bike owners, and a form of card issued saying you have attended.

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    We all have (or at least when I passed I had to) to know the law or some of it when learning to drive, perhaps there should be a compulsory one day course run by the local council for all new bike owners, and a form of card issued saying you have attended.

Would that be a license? Why not throw in road tax for good measure, and insurance etc, etc :roll:

I passed my cycling profficiency, pay the appropriate amount of road tax (£0) and have insurance by the way but others would like it to be compulsory for all.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • RichK wrote:
    So, drifting slightly ot - what are the regulation elsewhere in Europe on pedal reflectors? Anybody know?

In Belgium they got very excited because my British bike didn't have wheel reflectors. I believe it's mandatory to have front, rear, wheel (and maybe pedal) reflectors.

I agree that anything that helps mark you out as a bike is a Good Thing. I don't have pedal reflectors on my SPDs but I do have reflectors on my shoes and tights legs (as well as flashing rear lights on bike and helmet, reflective strips and flashes on my jacket etc etc.)

A question would be where your pedals end and your shoes begin when you are clipped in. You are, after all, then mechanically attached to the bike.

Neither of my Focus road bikes came supplied with front or rear reflectors (or pedals)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee wrote:

Would that be a license? Why not throw in road tax for good measure, and insurance etc, etc :roll:

I passed my cycling profficiency, pay the appropriate amount of road tax (£0) and have insurance by the way but others would like it to be compulsory for all.
    Motorists are licensed, but still mess with their lights and reflectors (invariably to the detriment of road safety) so I don't suppose cyclists would be any better if they were licensed. Besides, it's plain obvious that removing reflectors will make you somewhat less visible - some cyclists will still do it, aided and abetted by pedal manufacturers and bike shops who should know better.
  • Is it law to have reflectors on pedals, I ask because I have just fitted my bikes with new pedals and not only do they not have any but there is no where to fit them
    SPDs?

Some SPDs can fit these. Don't know if they meet the BS.
    asset_7490380.jpg

As long as your pedal axle is free-moving, the platform also works to weight the pedal so the SPD is presented upwards by default.

anyone know where i can get a pair of these online? would be great for pub runs etc when i want to wear my trainers. i dont have any decathlon stores near me and cant find a button to buy them online in the link above so i am assuming you cant.

thanks.
  • Expensive compared to Decathlon :shock: http://www.starbike.com/php/product_inf ... &pid=10079
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    @ buy_my_cookies. I can swing by and pick up a pair from decathlon and post them to you if you cover the costs. it's on my way home.
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    edited February 2011
    actually it appears that decathlon do online ordering. just pick a store to check stock and then you'll see them in stock (at surrey quays at least) and a buy online button.

from a quick check on a norfolk postcode you can only order from their lakeside store online but they're in stock with them at the moment.
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:
    @ buy_my_cookies. I can swing by and pick up a pair from decathlon and post them to you if you cover the costs. it's on my way home.

This is what I love about cyclists. Always someone willing to help another in need

I doff my cap to you sir :wink: