The entire Kimmage / Flandis interview

Comments

• Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    A really great read. The idiots that criticise Kimmage for being cynical should be glad that he is willing to do this kind of stuff.

This bit even shocked him:

"So there is still pressure on you going into the time trial? You still have to do it?
    Yeah, exactly but I was relatively sure...I mean, I know Pereiro and I know he wasn’t going to have any new tricks that he hadn’t already tried so…I had talked to him about it and he told me that he had another blood transfusion to do but I still wasn’t concerned because I was a better time triallist than him regardless…

You talked to him about it?
    Yeah, we talked openly about this in the peloton, that’s why I couldn’t believe no one did this before I did it. We literally just spoke openly; he did a blood transfusion and some artificial haemoglobin.

You’re kidding me!
    Yeah, and then he threw me under the bus (laughs) and I put up with it for four years!"
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    Another link if NY Velocity doesn't work:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/landis2011.pdf
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Steve2020 wrote:
    Another link if NY Velocity doesn't work:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/landis2011.pdf

The full interview is great.

"I don’t point fingers and no one forced me to do it but the circumstances were such that the decision was almost made for me…"

Isn't this true for all of them -- Basso, Vino, Kohl, DiLuca, Contador, Dekker, Ricco, Valverde, even Lance?

Unless this all ends at the UCI's door, and then blows it down, there is little chance of anything changing.

The sport is pro wrestling.
  • It is depressing.

Procycling landed on the mat just as I was reading KImmage/Landis. What a contrast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cycling's a dirty sport isn't it? It always was, and always will be. And I don't just mean dirty as in drugs. But just in general. It's tough, you get covered in dirt, filth, sweat, you get boils, you ruin your body for a race - it's just tough, filthy, and dirty.

All the flashy jersies and carbon fibre barely hides the dirty nature of it.

I'll be honest - I kinda like it like that.
  • Rick, you're right in a way. An old training buddy of mine used to say similar. He said cycling was a niche sport for farm boys, so machine tool manufacturers could advertise and old men could gamble. No glamour involved.

That said, I found that interview, the whole version, thoroughly depressing on a number of levels.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Wow, at least 2hrs to read that all but well worth it. Certainly a must read for fans to have more insight and I would even say for ‘potential dopers’ to understand the emotional fallout from being caught – this was what struck me the most (although I guess he is more seems to be greater affected than your average person).

On reading it these observations and questions occur to me:

-The corruption of the UCI beggars belief

-‘I didn’t expect that the guys that were publically decrying the whole thing and stating that they were the ones trying to fix it were in fact making it happen’

-He says had he not taken drugs he wouldn’t be at the TdF: does he mean as he wouldn’t be good enough or is he referring to politics? (I assumed the latter)

-If the UCI is so corrupt, why do they have such an extensive anti-doping structure? Unless it is all a façade, or unless they have turned a corner.

-Landis says that everyone was doping: if so how come US Postal were head and shoulders ahead of everyone else? It is easy to make generalisations too

-It is difficult to think he isn’t telling the truth as he remains consistent over a long period of time, over many detailed interviews and what he says seems entirely plausible

-Did Phonak have ‘Team’ Doping’ at all, or was it all individuals?

-Testosterone that he got done for: if there is intentional stitching up then that it terrible

-With all this information, it is astounding that the hasn’t been major reform or investigation of the UCI and other bodies

-Pereiro, well what can you say. I never thought he was a doper, but Landis’ few sentances were pretty damning for him – I guess he got out when he could. I also wonder whether his ‘depression/poor performances’ were as a result of guilt somewhat for his comments.

-Vaughters, suspect comments there, but not damning really.

-Michael Barry, ha, what a joke that guy is. He should read all those 30k words then come clean.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • And give up his lucrative role as Rouleur/rapha's inside man?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    As far as I am concered, the interview reveals a lot more about Landis and how cycling treats individuals than the wider doping issues.

What's good is that it shows Landis at his barest - with all the internal inconsistencies we all have, still intact.

It's a fascinating psycological and emotional picture of a man still getting to grips with what's going on, and being damaged by cycling - rather than a big "cracking the corruption wide open" story.

I get similar feelings reading that as I did reading Rendal's Pantani book.

Having said that, I swear you could make a mini wire-esq program on cycling - covering one whole season.
  • I'd watch that, Rick!

As you say, on a human level, the portrait it paints of Landis is heartbreaking. Especially if youve ever experienced depression or that kind of moment where your whole life falls away from you.

@gietvangent
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Wow.

What an interview! Kimmage truly is The Man, and all credit to him.
    I was disappointed in the ST glossy article, but that was just the entree- this is the full turkey and all the trimmings as well as the pudding. And like a Christmas dinner, it'll take a while to digest.

I've been haunted by it all day. Been back and forward to re-read it. On so many levels, it's one of the finest interviews I have ever read.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    It's an incredibly compassionate interview. For the first time I feel myself warming to Landis and feeling great sympathy for him. The sport has used him and spat him out.
    It makes me wonder if there is any hope for a sport run by the sort of people who man the UCI.
  • I think I'll print it off and keep it in the back of my copy of Rough Ride as a kind of epilogue.
  • I thought the Nightline interview showed Floyd in a real honest way.

Reading the interview now. Speaking of Kimmage, Rough Ride of course is not his only book, he did Full Time about Tony Cascarino which is suppose to be a top notch football book. Cascarino in case one did not know, played for the Ireland National Team so he had a kinship with Kimmage in both being Irish sortof, the sortof applies to Cascarino born in England but I guess per lineage and that is the crux of the matter, he was able to play for Ireland under Jack Charlton and that was a good team. So those who want more from Kimmage can read that. Shortlisted for the Wm. Hill sport book of the year, didn't win it, Rough Ride did from what I can tell. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Time-Secre ... 1903650542 This book often makes lists of best footy books, better than average.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Personally, the only surprise was the range of subject matter covered. The 'juicy' bits didn't illicity even the raising of an eyebrow.........will be interesting to see if there's any reaction to it from the personalities involved over and above the "We can't trust Floyd, he's a liar with no credibility"............stock response.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    These bruises? Why the vampires gave them to me. :roll:
  • Brilliant stuff from Boogie.

"There was no doping and we were all tested so much we laughed and joked about our track marks"

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Thanks for posting the full interview.

Apart from everything else already mentioned, what I find interesting is that Landis managed a series of top-10 placings in high-profile TTs in 2001, when he was, according to himself in this interview, still completely clean.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    FJS wrote:

Apart from everything else already mentioned, what I find interesting is that Landis managed a series of top-10 placings in high-profile TTs in 2001, when he was, according to himself in this interview, still completely clean.

Uh-huh. And he came second in the 2002 Dauphine, after which he claims to have been introduced to tesosterone use. He may well have been a pretty handy rider on a level playing field.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Boardman did much the same, i.e. good TT results and second in the Dauphine.
  • rick_chasey
    DaveyL wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Uh-huh. And he came second in the 2002 Dauphine, after which he claims to have been introduced to tesosterone use. He may well have been a pretty handy rider on a level playing field.

Given that he 'only' really did a little growth hormone and blood transfusions, it'd make sense that the advantage that gives only really pays off over a 3 week period.
  • aac
    aac Posts: 12
    No mention/questions on his views of his lawyer threatening Lemond. As he says it's easy going along with whatever advice that is given in that situation, and I understand building a lie to defend/protect yourself at whatever cost (many of us would probably do the same in our workplace to hide a mistake, etc, though not exactly on the same scale, we're all human). However, the Lemond incident seemed to be one of the big moments that brought widespread condemnation and hatred towards Landis but no mention.

Fascinating read nonetheless.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    aac wrote:
    No mention/questions on his views of his lawyer threatening Lemond.

Friend, not lawyer.

Probably no mention because Landis and Lemond get on fine now, with Lemond putting Landis in touch with lawyers and stuff like that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    aac wrote:
    No mention/questions on his views of his lawyer threatening Lemond.

Friend, not lawyer.

Probably no mention because Landis and Lemond get on fine now, with Lemond putting Landis in touch with lawyers and stuff like that.

He should have mentioned it. It was a big deal.
  • aac
    aac Posts: 12
    Ok, his friend, that's my mistake. Still think that it was a big, obvious part of the story that given the context of such a chat as this, a journalist would ask about even if it's been resolved in some way with Lemond. From Landis' expression of his thoughts on other parts of his career/life it seems something that would cause unease in his mind? Not that I'm owed or seeking an explanation or anything, just seemed a gap.
  • Really, really interesting. That's taken me forever to read.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    http://twitter.com/dnlbenson
    McQuaid on Kimmage story: I read some of it. It got boring half-way. I’ll read the rest on a plane.It was just boring. about 3 hours ago via web

Bleeedin' heck- one of the most important, fascinating, nay, may I say seismic, interviews and this is the response of the President of the UCI.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Tusher wrote:
    http://twitter.com/dnlbenson
    McQuaid on Kimmage story: I read some of it. It got boring half-way. I’ll read the rest on a plane.It was just boring. about 3 hours ago via web

Bleeedin' heck- one of the most important, fascinating, nay, may I say seismic, interviews and this is the response of the President of the UCI.

I do have sympathy... I'm a teacher, but once I've left work the last thing I want to think about is school. I'd rather have red hot needles poked in my eye than watch Waterloo Road for example. I reckon McQuaid would much rather read a bit of Jilly Cooper than wade through Kimmage's verbiage. :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think Will Geoghegan was also Landis's buisness manager.

I guess Iain has a fair point though, if Lemond has been liaising with Landis one can imagine some apologizing has gone on. Lemond has always struck me as not really hating guys like Floyd and Tyler, more feeling sorry for them. So he is probably happy Floyd has finally come clean.
    Le Blaireau (1)