On-One Carbon 456 custom

Comments

• EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    I've gone black & red. I'll post some pictures up at the weekend, it's nearly ready for public viewing :D
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    EdW wrote:
    I've gone black & red. I'll post some pictures up at the weekend, it's nearly ready for public viewing :D

just ordered my 456 carbon - black with hints of red!! :D:D
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    EdW wrote:
    That's a really nice looking build, I want white spokes now!

I was thinking of going down the black & gold route for mine, it's a pity they don't do gold decals.

Brilliant, can't wait to see your builds lads. Not too many wheels around with white spokes but the spinergy are great value on ebay. You can get the spokes in loads of colours but the green, blue or orange all look wicked. The wider enduro model is also cheap there. I chose the lighter model as I'm not too heavy and they're strong for a light wheelset. So far they feel great but time will tell. Guess a future upgrade could be Industry9 AM in black w gold spokes, or a custom build with gold hope hubs!

I'd love to see someone go with a black & green theme on this bike, think that would look ace.
  • dc71
    Got out in great weather today. Getting to know the bike better, need different style for steep climbs as the front feels sooo light. Realised I'll probably need 80mm stem to help this and slightly lengthen the cockpit, may have to exchange the one on order.

Have moved the seat back slightly for tomorrow's ride to see if that sorts it.

Otherwise, loving the bike but will at some point change grips and maybe pedals. Could be a while to get everything just right :)

IMG_1039a.jpg
    IMG_1038a.jpg
  • booyaka
    Nice - have you put any "frame" protection on it - helitape etc? That is my main worry when I get my bike.
  • dc71
    Yes I put some clear protector on all the parts where cables rub and prone to getting caught by the car rack, plus under the downtube. Frame curves can be a major pain to get all edges to stick!
  • booyaka
    dc71 wrote:
    Yes I put some clear protector on all the parts where cables rub and prone to getting caught by the car rack, plus under the downtube. Frame curves can be a major pain to get all edges to stick!

what did you use if you don't mind me asking?
  • dc71
    I used Race Shield as that's what I could get here. Seems thick enough but too early to tell about durability. It is a pain to put on curved areas without leaving raised edges, but from what I've read others are similar. Easiest way round is to work with smaller pieces or just the small rub patches. If I was in uk I'd probably look at the 3m tape from biketart website.
  • dc71
    Been a while and a few rides so thought I'd update. The smaller size makes this feel much more chuckable than my Kona. Brings back memories of flying round wasteland dirt tracks as a kid on BMX's. :D

Still waiting for the stem to arrive, been a couple of weeks but looking forward to getting it on the bike. Now that I've got a feel for it I think the 70mm stem will be good with the current bars, but note that they have a forward offset to minimise the effect of the backsweep. This keeps the cockpit a little longer than with normal riser bars. If I decide to swap out for wider bars other than on-one fleegle, I'll need to get an 80mm stem.
    HTIAX08GLDPIHwithBLKPIN2.jpg
    Also on order are gold ano pedals and ODI Rogue lock-ons. I realised I like concave pedals much more and the oury mountain grips that came with the frame are too short and don't allow enough airflow for Singapore's hot weather (although not so bad with gloves). Going to look at some 5.10's today too..
    Poploc lever is also on way, will also get the spacer out of the fork for the full 140 travel when I fit the lever.

Lastly, the paint/clearcoat seems to have picked up a few scratches. Have ordered up more BikeTape to cover up the scratch prone areas. Would advise anyone getting this frame in the black (raw) gloss to cover the main areas.

More pics to come once the new bits arrive!
  • booyaka
    nice - mine is currently getting built by on-one and should be here at end of next week!
  • xisle
    xisle Posts: 35
    sweet ride how are you getting on with the fleegles?
  • dc71
    Finally got the stem, and the ODI rogues (v sticky)! Looks v short although it really is only 5mm shorter than the loan stem.

Xisle, I'm liking the Fleegles although still experimenting with positioning. I had them flat and it felt like they could do with some extra width, I even toyed with the idea of ordering the normal Fleegle (716 width against the 660 with the Pro). I've now angled the bar more in line with the stem so bar ends are angled downwards a little and it's feeling good so far. It has at least confirmed for me that I wouldn't get on with any bar that has more sweep than the Fleegle's 15deg (like ragley carnegie).

Overall I think I I'd prefer wider bars with 9 or 10deg sweep for this bike, but with the new pedals and the poploc lever on the way I've spent enough and I'm going to ride it for a while before changing anything (although got my eye on Sunline V1 lo-rise in gold just in case).

Note on the ODI's. Their gold lockrings don't match the On-one/KCNC/Superstar bright gold, as it's a lighter shade. I was going to have gold lockrings on the outer ends but had to keep the black.

IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
  • dc71
    OK so the HT pedals arrived and turned out to be too small a platform. So I decided to get some Wellgos and am well pleased with the way this has turned out.

Nothing much more to do except some more helitape and get out riding :))
    IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG

@Booyaka & Bred2shred, looking fwd to seeing your built up pics!
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    Well if mine turns out looking half as nice as yours i'll be very pleased.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • booyaka
    looking sweet !! Liking it

Did you decide for no decals or just not get any??

Personally - a bit unimpressed by lack of communication from on-one so far

Considering i'm spending £1200 on a full build from them - i'm doing all the chasing and lack of responses to emails is getting very annoying!! Ordered on 1st March - awaited a couple of out of stock things but that was all sorted about 10 days ago - supposed to be built yesterday and so far nothing from them in terms of communication etc.

Time to vent the rage on the phone i think!! :twisted: :twisted:

EDIT - right - they 72 hours behind schedule for builds so not getting dispatched till next monday and I'm away all next week!!! :twisted: :twisted: ARRRGGGHHHH
  • dc71
    Yep sounds like they're still as busy as ever. I waited weeks for mine while they had some quality issues with the gloss black paint jobs. Frustrating all round, but once you get out for your first ride you'll soon forget the annoyance ;)

I did put all the decals on but wasn't happy with the job I'd done on it and also preferred the bike with a bit less white (also removed some rim decals). You can see what it looked like with all the frame and rim decals about halfway down p1 of this thread.

I may re-order the decal kit and do it better, or maybe do a custom job instead (am thinking "FFS" at the front of the top tube or downtube). As of now I'm in no hurry to change anything except my working hours so I can do some weekday rides..
  • dc71
    edited July 2011
    After 3 trips to the LBS the fork mechanic finally took the travel spacer out today(got no idea why he removed the top out bumper the first time, but never felt anything so weird as that massive clunk at the top of the travel!)

So with the bike in pretty much the final build & probably getting about 125mm real travel I got to my local loop and this bike is 'kin FAST! Feels like zero inertia compared to my Kona.

Feels totally nailed on, but it's also very forgiving (overcooked it on a couple of the descents but corrections are quick and sharp). Am also loving all the bits I chose for contact points - grips, pedals and tyres all work really well for me.

Outdoor pics next time - today was all about the ride, and still got the :D from it

@booyaka, and bred2shred, look fwd to your thoughts after your first rides on finished builds. If you haven't chosen tyres already I'll recommend the Onza ones again (trail conditions here are mixture of hard clay, slick clay mud, damp rocks/stones & roots and a few 3-inch deep gloopy patches, all handled nicely)
  • booyaka
    cheers - bike dispatched friday for monday delivery but won't be able to ride it till next weekend as I'm away mon-fri! :roll: :roll:
  • dc71
    Weekend and time for some outdoor pics before riding.
    IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
  • dc71
    edited August 2011
    Been riding this extensively and loving it but still found myself hankering after bit more width on the bars. So went for Atlas AM at 730mm width. Also had to change the stem for a longer one otherwise I would have lost almost 30mm in cockpit length due to the offset on the Fleegles.
    IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG

May still have to play around with height, spacers etc. These also give me less problems with brake levers hitting the frame..
  • booyaka
    nice - in the process of looking at some new bars myself just now

Trying to convince myself I "don't" need carbon ones!! :lol::lol:
  • dc71
    Ride report with the new bars/stem. I thought I loved this bike before but now it's close to perfect for me. Having ridden the new bars (725mm regular backsweep) vs the Fleegle's (660mm with 15deg sweep), the whole front end felt more controllable and comfortable. The wide elbow position definitely suits me better.

Surprisingly I found climbing easier as the slightly slower steering and ease of pulling the bar towards my chest allowed me to keep the front wheel following the terrain. Maybe won't be posting for a while as I'll be busy riding!
  • dc71
    Just an update as the bike is currently out of action awaiting a new BB (on its way from CRC), due to a bit of inexperience on my part.

I'd noticed the crank/BB as draggy after I'd originally fitted/adjusted but gradually worsening until the point where spinning it with the chain off, it stops within 1 revolution due to the drag. When I removed the crank to check BB, I found the wavy washer (which prevents lateral movement of the crank) was broken.

When i first fitted the crank I'd used 1 too many spacers which prevented the crank arm tightening down completely. I found this within a couple of rides and removed the extra spacer, but it looks like I probably forced it too much before that, which in turn damaged the BB bearings.

Can't wait to get it fixed as I'm still experimenting with bar/stem combos. There always seems to be a compromise as I found the 725mm bars perfect for faster flowy trails but a bit too wide for tight technical trails, switchbacks etc. Also the new 90mm stem although better for climbing, slowed the steering a little too much for me and I found the handling not as much fun. I think I may end up swapping out for a 70mm 0deg thomson, although I'll try going back to the 60mm Gusset one I have first. Decisions, decisions!
  • Deezer-D
    Deezer-D Posts: 99
    Hope mine turns out as well as this one. Got my frame last week but I'm off on hols for 3 weeks so will have to wait till then to start building it.
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Love the bike, and the colours look great :D
    QUESTION: What model of Wellgo's are they? I'm guessing they're ano'...
  • dc71
    Pedals are B144's, I think one of only a few the do in gold ano. So far the finish is lasting OK, just a bit of rub off. The main thing is that they're big, slim and grippy, easliy the best flat pedal I've used so far (altho I've not used Nanos which are about the same weight/size)

Also they're quite a dark gold which matches the KCNC clamp and on-one bars well. The Raceface bars gold is a bit lighter but close enough, but the ODI gold lockrings weren't close enough to keep.
  • dc71
    Quick update, got the replacement BB last week and fitted it (with the right amount of spacers this time!) in time for the weekend rides. Feels much freer spinning than the old one which I'd FUBAR'd. I also switched back to a 60mm stem with the current wide bars which is a good compromise, much more fun with the sharper steering.

That being said, I think the ideal combo for me will be to go up to a 70mm stem and chop the bars down to 705. I'll have to sell on the 90mm Thomson stem, and thinking of going for this as it's even lighter, plus my LBS has them with gold steel bolts, just over half the price of a Thomson:
    b_spear_8.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Looks like a very nice, well thought out build! I bet it flies on the trail! :wink:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nice bike, 180 rotors seem a bit of overkill though...

“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    180 rotors seem a bit of overkill though...

What make you assume that? The frame is designed to be ridden with upto 150mm travel forks which would normally means it's expected to be hitting things of reasonble size, fast.

I ride the same frame and on a recent soaking wet trip to glentress the 160mm's i was using just weren't up to the task of consistent braking giving the extra speed this frame was allowing me to generate. Hence my order of 180mm rotors and kevlar pads is currently winging it's way to me from the lovely chaps at superstar.

OT the tweaks to your build are spot on mate, if i'm honest i was never a fan of the feegles. Keep those shiney bits coming.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.