How do you find time to train & how to profit?

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,407
When i'm not on the bike I spend most of my time thinking bikes. I'm very fortunate to have a lovely wife and 4month old baby and i'm doing ok as a dad. I was wondering how everyone manages to fit in cycling/training around family/social life and work?

At the moment i've got a 3mile commute to work with one decent hill, that works out about 30mins on the bike a day and at the weekend the mrs and I normally take turns looking after baby, which gives me a mornings cycling. The only other options are getting up early for work and squeezing in an hour. But with no shrowers or decent changing facilities, this might not work. Or training after work. I have a physical job and this might become a chore.
I try and up the training I do on the weekend but will this go to waste as i'm not on the bike much during the week?

I'm seriously considering moving house so I can have room for a turbo trainer!
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Lots of people have the same issue, myself included, a 35 mile commute means that I can do alot of my training in the week, and only have to "find" time for a ride at the weekend.

Don't be put of by lack of facilities at work, we have none at work, but a drag round of a wet wipe and some deoderant does wonders.
  • seanoconn
    danowat wrote:
    Lots of people have the same issue, myself included, a 35 mile commute means that I can do alot of my training in the week, and only have to "find" time for a ride at the weekend.

Don't be put of by lack of facilities at work, we have none at work, but a drag round of a wet wipe and some deoderant does wonders.

Its nice being able to get home in 15mins but I envy people with a decent commute, lucky sod!

I'd also consider moving house to find the perfect commute, sad but true.
  • danowat
    When its -5 or pissing down with rain, I don't feel so lucky!.

Just take a long route to work, once the mornings brighten up its a great way to wake up before work.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    We've just moved house to get a better commute in, as the only housemate who doesn't really cycle also has a car (and three bikes...)

To the OP, i'd recommend extending your commute a little. Then upping at the weekend, if you have space outdoors you could always turbo outside. A turbo doesn't take up huge amounts of space indoors unless you're using it, the noise is a bigger issue if you've got a small child asleep.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Sure if you live near work is better, so every day you have a choice of long or short commute...
    My previous job the commute was 7miles each way but on days I managed to do 60, didn't have to, just did it by choice, that was best.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I must admit alot of my training is an extended commute home, I only live 4 miles from work, but always do more due to the route I take. Like Danowat says, when it is lighter in the mornings, I will get training done here as well. Training after work, can be a great release from any work related stress that has built up during the day. It isn't so nice at the moment, but it does get alot better.

It helps having an understanding partner, my biggest issue is not the wife, but my 6 year old lad that doesn't want me to go out at the weekends. I can't wait until he is a little older, and we can go out together on the bike properly.

I make sure the times I am not at work, or training I spend quality time with the family, rather than just sit around the house watching TV. My social life revolves around the cycling club anyhow.

I have a turbo but it is out in the garage, so whether I am on this or out on the road, I am still away from the family, they don't bother me when I am training to be honest.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I'm seriously considering moving house so I can have room for a turbo trainer!

turbo train outside? seen several people do it this year. supposed to be muhc better due to cooling.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I'm 36, wife and 2 kids (5 and 1), live in a flat. 1.5 mile commute. Lots of late-night turbo sessions.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    SBezza wrote:
    It helps having an understanding partner, my biggest issue is not the wife, but my 6 year old lad that doesn't want me to go out at the weekends. I can't wait until he is a little older, and we can go out together on the bike properly.

Could you not get a tag along or trailer? Great resistance training!
  • SBezza
    SBezza wrote:

Could you not get a tag along or trailer? Great resistance training!

Well I could no doubt, but some of the roads I train on, I wouldn't want to risk it. I am sure he wouldn't want to tag along for 5 hours at a time in the cold weather.

He can ride a bike anyhow, so we go out together, just not on the roads. Obviously when with him, it isn't training for me.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    By getting up early one day and doing extra and coming home late one day & doing extra you might be able to increase your weeks mileage without too much impact on family. And then don't get up too late at the weekend - or look after baby and cycle in the afternoons instead. Whatever you do - don't waste time on channel hopping TV or free newspapers!

When baby is bigger you could perhaps both go to the gym (if there is a creche)...or take him/her on the back of the bike for your more gentle rides.
    As a wifey i can recommend giving the wife 'time off' for her own personal interests - be they yoga, shopping or just hanging out with girlfriends... very hard for her to say no to your bike activities then
  • SBezza
    As a wifey i can recommend giving the wife 'time off' for her own personal interests - be they yoga, shopping or just hanging out with girlfriends... very hard for her to say no to your bike activities then

+1 to that, my wife does her own things as well, and I look after the little lad. It is give and take, and being fair to each other.
  • Am a bloke in similar position to many above, I have a decent length commute but when it's dark and raining and I can't face battling with city traffic, the public transport option is too easy to take.
    Still there's lighter mornings to come and I just gave my wife time do a thing of hers (for nearly 3 months) whilst I did childcare, so now she's done, I'll hopefully resurrect some fitness soon, I managed one club ride last year which is poor, I just can't spare a whole sunday for it. I just hope I can get back to the standard I was, because I'm a fat wheezing lump right now.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I have circuit I do near my home that I throw in to my commute, realtively low traffic (I'm going against the flow) and a couple of nice long stretches with no lights etc.

For example, today is my midweek volume day, 4 hours L2, which was 2 hours was this morning - 15mins to the circuit, 5x 15min laps, 30min commute. I'll do the same in reverse on the way home tonight. I'd advise you try and work out something similar that fits your training plan.

And if you don't have a training plan... well, that's a whole other conversation...
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • seanoconn
    By getting up early one day and doing extra and coming home late one day & doing extra you might be able to increase your weeks mileage without too much impact on family. And then don't get up too late at the weekend - or look after baby and cycle in the afternoons instead. Whatever you do - don't waste time on channel hopping TV or free newspapers!

When baby is bigger you could perhaps both go to the gym (if there is a creche)...or take him/her on the back of the bike for your more gentle rides.

My wife's out with friends or off to the gym a fair amount more than I am but i'm happy looking after the little one. I'll be reversing the roles in the summer!

Child bike seats or those pull along things scare the hell out of me so won't be using those in a hurry.

A turbo trainer would solve my problem but there's just no room in a one bedroom flat filled with an amazing amount of baby stuff. I could possibly turbo outside but all the other flats overlook the only open space, i'm brave but not that brave.

Extending my commute home is looking like the best option. My wife will be starving by the time I get home, she can't cook!
  • I am a shift worker, and have a 13 mile e.w. commute that I do 2-3 times a week. This give opportunity to take a longer route home for a few extra miles, also able then to visit the gym, swim, DIY (v. important), et al..... When I have 'free time' I will try to use some for training, but a big MUST is to not ignore the family.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    'encourage' your wife to help with preparation of food or even do an evening class?
    And do give the child seats a second chance when baby is bigger - they are really great - most kids love 'em - and mean the whole family can get out together at least in the summer!
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Lots of good advice on this thread for those with young families.

I have a 18 mile round trip commute that I do 3-4 times a week. On a Monday and Friday I usually stretch it out on the way home by about 10 more miles and get some intervals in.
    Tuesdays I play 5 a side football. Wed and Thurs evening I do a turbo session using a sufferfest.
    On the weekends I normally go out on a long cycle with club guys (around 3-4 hours) and spend the afternoon with the family. Sunday I try to get out again for a short spin of about an hour or do a recovery turbo.
    I'm also thinking about geting a lunchtime gym pass and doing some spin sessions over lunchtime for extra sessions.
  • I too have found it v difficult to spend time on my bike when there are a whole load of other priorities pressures etc to deal with. The reason I've used most often for not getting on my bike is that I'm way to tired. How have others coped with similar situations?
  • danowat
    johnboy183 wrote:
    The reason I've used most often for not getting on my bike is that I'm way to tired. How have others coped with similar situations?

Mainly man'd the f**k up and realise that being too tired is a poor excuse :wink:
  • glasgowbhoy
    danowat wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    The reason I've used most often for not getting on my bike is that I'm way to tired. How have others coped with similar situations?

Mainly man'd the f**k up and realise that being too tired is a poor excuse :wink:

This :wink:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

I'm also thinking about geting a lunchtime gym pass and doing some spin sessions over lunchtime for extra sessions.

You're already doing over 10 hours a week of cycling, that is a lot of time, it may not be a lot of training volume but that depends how you ride. I'm quite confused by these threads which talk about fitting it all in and being flexible when they're choosing to do more sessions than I am when I have essentially unlimited time.

Not that cycling lots of hours isn't good if that's what you want to do. But I just wonder about situations where you say fit in with your life but schedule 4 hours midweek of riding around easy because it's in some plan. I think you'd need some pretty serious goals and already be at a high level for a plan involving over 10 hours work to be really warranted.

Of course if your goals are to ride lots, then riding lots is good.

My goals are to be able to be active in any road race I do, be respectable in any time trial I do, be competitive in the RP 3lap and Box Hill challenge. I can see all of those being compatible with 10 hours a week including the commute.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • glasgowbhoy
    jibberjim wrote:

You're already doing over 10 hours a week of cycling, that is a lot of time, it may not be a lot of training volume but that depends how you ride. I'm quite confused by these threads which talk about fitting it all in and being flexible when they're choosing to do more sessions than I am when I have essentially unlimited time.

Not that cycling lots of hours isn't good if that's what you want to do. But I just wonder about situations where you say fit in with your life but schedule 4 hours midweek of riding around easy because it's in some plan. I think you'd need some pretty serious goals and already be at a high level for a plan involving over 10 hours work to be really warranted.

My goals are to be able to be active in any road race I do, be respectable in any time trial I do, be competitive in the RP 3lap and Box Hill challenge. I can see all of those being compatible with 10 hours a week including the commute.

Yes, it is quite a load and I appreciate that it takes quite a lot of planning to fit it all in.
    My goals are to start racing with the local club in the spring and a number of sportive events including the Fred Whitton and the peak of my season in July with La Marmotte.
    I have spent the last month doing lots of base miles but as I'm comfortable riding 3-4 hours on good undulating terrain I will be focusing on longer threshold (c 60 mins) sessions mid week with commuting and a long ride at the weekends. The lunchtime sessions would probably be instead of the 2 x mid week evening turbo sessions ,allowing me some evening recovery time.
    Any input on my schedule/plan appreciated Jim.
  • glasgowbhoy
    jibberjim wrote:

Yes, it is quite a load and I appreciate that it takes quite a lot of planning to fit it all in.
    My goals are to start racing with the local club in the spring and a number of sportive events including the Fred Whitton and the peak of my season in July with La Marmotte.
    I have spent the last month doing lots of base miles but as I'm comfortable riding 3-4 hours on good undulating terrain I will be focusing on longer threshold (c 60 mins) sessions mid week with commuting and a long ride at the weekends. The lunchtime sessions would probably be instead of the 2 x mid week evening turbo sessions ,allowing me some evening recovery time.
    Any input on my schedule/plan appreciated Jim.
  • seanoconn
    jibberjim wrote:

10hours a week would be ideal for me, thats about twice the amount i'm currently doing. My goals are similar to yours but will take a couple of years to achieve.

By the way if you were in R.P last sat, early afternoon, wearing white, going clockwise, then excuse me for not saying hello, if not, excuse me for being mental.
  • johnboy183 wrote:

Mainly man'd the f**k up and realise that being too tired is a poor excuse

ouchh!!!
  • jibberjim wrote:

wot he said. 10 hrs is plenty to be competitive.
    Yes, I like riding in the rain...
  • Yes, it's tricky finding time and motivation to ride around a full time job, family and young baby. We are in this very situation and with the added pressure of my husband facing redundancy very soon.

We tend to share our baby responsibilities so we can get out once each at the weekend. Usually we try hard to get the long ride in at the weekend. We then do what we can during the week, again around baby, work and rest. My husband uses the turbo a lot as he gets a few days working from home, which means I might have a midweek outdoor ride which I'm fortunate about, believe me!

What's key is to take a flexible approach to your workouts and be as regular as you can be. We look to do the minimum training for maximum gains in fitness - so that's about 3 sessions a week (with the long ride at weekend).

I wrote a post on this very issue a few months back. It might be useful reading to you as regards fitting training in around a working week with the very problems you mention:

Fitting Cycling Training Around A Working Week: http://easycycling.com/?p=444

I hope you find 'the balance' with work, family and your cycling soon - it can be done with a flexible approach.

Hope this helps, and have a great weekend.

Becky
  • seanoconn
    Yes, it's tricky finding time and motivation to ride around a full time job, family and young baby. We are in this very situation and with the added pressure of my husband facing redundancy very soon.

We tend to share our baby responsibilities so we can get out once each at the weekend. Usually we try hard to get the long ride in at the weekend. We then do what we can during the week, again around baby, work and rest. My husband uses the turbo a lot as he gets a few days working from home, which means I might have a midweek outdoor ride which I'm fortunate about, believe me!

What's key is to take a flexible approach to your workouts and be as regular as you can be. We look to do the minimum training for maximum gains in fitness - so that's about 3 sessions a week (with the long ride at weekend).

I wrote a post on this very issue a few months back. It might be useful reading to you as regards fitting training in around a working week with the very problems you mention:

Fitting Cycling Training Around A Working Week: http://easycycling.com/?p=444

I hope you find 'the balance' with work, family and your cycling soon - it can be done with a flexible approach.

Hope this helps, and have a great weekend.

Becky

Thanks for your post Becky and good advice.

Nice website, i'll be reading it in detail.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I also live 3 miles from work but do ~190 miles a week. 3 miles in each day, 3 back on mon and fri recovery days. 20, 27 and 27 back on the other three midweek days and three hours plus sat and sun mornings.