Catford Gyratory

Neil Holland
Neil Holland Posts: 109
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone regularly ride this way (North / South on the A21 specifically)?

Heading south of an evening most cyclists take the bus lane avoiding the gyratory itselt (although the lane is marked buses only) myself included but one chap I see regularly cycles round.

What's the score here?

Am I (technically or otherwise) infringing?

Do I use brackets too often when posting? :wink:

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Use the bus lane where possible and you can never use too many brackets :wink:

Actually I could be wrong on the bus lane bit, but I like the easy approach where possible.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I always use the bus lane. It clearly says "Bus only" sometimes the lights wont be activated by a bike so you have to use the other lanes being stopped as a guide.

Frankly, going round the whole thing going south would be pretty horrible as it's usually pretty busy, if it was clear it'd be fun I reckon.

seen loads of cops around there and they've never said anything
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I always use the bus lane. It clearly says "Bus only" sometimes the lights wont be activated by a bike so you have to use the other lanes being stopped as a guide.

Frankly, going round the whole thing going south would be pretty horrible as it's usually pretty busy, if it was clear it'd be fun I reckon.

seen loads of cops around there and they've never said anything

You're right both on the cops and the random nature of the light acitvation!

Will continue to proceed with caution...

Ta

N

(No brackets. Well until now)
  • Clever Pun
    There were cops there attending some sort of scuffle last night there was a broken bottle of lambrini strewn across the road... looked like a good afternoon in catford
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    There were cops there attending some sort of scuffle last night there was a broken bottle of lambrini strewn across the road... looked like a good afternoon in catford

Feck.

That Lambrini bottle could well have been the source of my puncture half a mile up the road.

Punctured by a bloody Lambrini bottle. The shame of it.

(When not boring my friends about cycling I am a wine collector and bore them about that... :? )
  • It's marked buses only so technically you should use the gyratory. Google streetview suggests that this does not always apply...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 03.32,,2,5

I've always gone round the gyratory but that's mostly out of habit - I've ridden that road for so long that it hasn't occurred to me to use the new-fangled bus lane. Though I did notice coming north a couple of weeks ago that that stretch of bus lane is very well endowed with traffic lights. 3 sets over a very short distance which would probably irritate me more than the 2 sets of traffic lights and one pedestrian crossing on the longer gyratory do. I think you'd get more impression of actually cycling when you take the one way system - the bus lane looks more like you'd be negotiating road-crossing pedestrians, buses and traffic lights, not to mention the occasional low-flying Lambrini....
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I always use the bus lane as it seems a lot safer, plus I've not seen any cyclist go the long way.

The timing on the first set of lights is weird mind and annoys me, but you usually don't have to stop at the middle ones are they tend to go green when the first set do.

I tell you what though, I'm loving the newish layed tarmac after that section (going south), it's the smoothest road I've been on, although you can't hear cars coming up behind you now :D
  • nich
    Clever Pun wrote:

Feck.

That Lambrini bottle could well have been the source of my puncture half a mile up the road.

Punctured by a bloody Lambrini bottle. The shame of it.

(When not boring my friends about cycling I am a wine collector and bore them about that... :? )

I was around at that time. I saw a group of 10 or so kids running across the road. Dunno if they were chasing someone, or just running away.

A few minutes after lots of sirens :)
  • st199ml
    st199ml Posts: 63
    Yes its technically buses only. I can confirm this as a bus driver decided to use his horn and sign language to inform me of that fact. Then he accused me of being stupid and/or unable to read. This was Christmas Eve. Goodwill to all men.

The gyratory is pretty bad as you need to be shifting lanes under strong pressure from traffic, combined with the inevitable drivers who see getting to the MacDonalds drive-in as a rally stage.

The first lights are phased so two sets of lights for the left filter to let traffic onto the gyratory to everyone one of the bus lanes (appreciate that is badly worded). Once the first lights change the others do too in short order otherwise there would be no room for buses.

Seconded on the newly laid tarmac. That stretch of road was some of the worst I've ridden so its a fantastic improvement.
  • Thanks, Chaps.

Do say hi if you see me... Blue Tifosi Audax and (generally) single Altura Orkney Pannier.

Agree ref that section of road.

Also largely side road free so I tend to get down on the drops and try and draw the last drops of energy out of my tired legs before the long crawl up Bromley Hill!
  • st199ml
    st199ml Posts: 63
    Ah, the Col du Brom-er-lay (to be pronounced like Tourmalet).

I'll keep an eye out.
  • Clever Pun
    nich wrote:
    I always use the bus lane as it seems a lot safer, plus I've not seen any cyclist go the long way.

The timing on the first set of lights is weird mind and annoys me, but you usually don't have to stop at the middle ones are they tend to go green when the first set do.

I tell you what though, I'm loving the newish layed tarmac after that section (going south), it's the smoothest road I've been on, although you can't hear cars coming up behind you now :D

it's ace isn't, saying that it used to be like going off road previously

I get to avoid mount bromley now as I'm not doing stupid mileage for the sake of it, right up beckenham hill.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I rode though it yesterday and 2 PCSOs were waiting at the first set and then a couple of other cyclists came along and they were all having a chat. I was obviously too cool to talk to normal commuters so ignored them all.

Maybe the last parts not true.

The first set of lights is weird, I don't like RLJing them but keep out of the way of buses because they must set them off late at night. I was there once and a bus was waiting for ages and decided to go though while it was red so don't mind so much going though if the ped xing is green.

Watch out for Neil Holland I think he's a identity thief. I'm the real owner of a blue Tifosi with (usually) a single pannier on the a21! It used to be a dawes untill I snapped it :roll:

Yeah how good is that bit of tarmac! All they need to do is sort out the bit by depford bridge crossroads, thats got really bad now.
  • nich
    FrankieH wrote:
    I rode though it yesterday and 2 PCSOs were waiting at the first set and then a couple of other cyclists came along and they were all having a chat. I was obviously too cool to talk to normal commuters so ignored them all.

Maybe the last parts not true.

The first set of lights is weird, I don't like RLJing them but keep out of the way of buses because they must set them off late at night. I was there once and a bus was waiting for ages and decided to go though while it was red so don't mind so much going though if the ped xing is green.

Watch out for Neil Holland I think he's a identity thief. I'm the real owner of a blue Tifosi with (usually) a single pannier on the a21! It used to be a dawes untill I snapped it :roll:

Yeah how good is that bit of tarmac! All they need to do is sort out the bit by depford bridge crossroads, thats got really bad now.

I've been spamming Lewisham council today about the potholes by the crossroads at Deptford :)

That's where I had my puncture the other day. Peeved me right off.
  • Yeah its not too bad going out but coming back is a bit dangerous.
  • The other bad bit is as you approach the Wavelengths Leisure Centre heading south; as you go under the railway line the lighting is poor and the road surface like a rough part of Kabul.
  • Clever Pun
    Here's a question as it sounds like you all take the same route...

When heading north on molesworth street do you use the roundabout to turn left or take the cycle path to avoid the double lights?

I've certainly seen a blue tifosi going up bromley hill before as I passed it... which one of you was it? :wink:

I ride a black mars bar styled Condor pista fixed or Red Condor Squadra
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

When heading north on molesworth street do you use the roundabout to turn left or take the cycle path to avoid the double lights?

I've certainly seen a blue tifosi going up bromley hill before as I passed it... which one of you was it? :wink:

I ride a black mars bar styled Condor pista fixed or Red Condor Squadra

That's a good question. The cycle path which goes under the railway line and then over the river will cut out at least 3 lights depending where you're heading on Loampit Vale (because there are another 2 on Molesworth Street before the roundabout.)

I normally take the roundabout but I have to go down to Catford in a few minutes - I'll try the cyclepath on the way back and see how it goes.
  • Clever Pun wrote:

I always go round the roundabout for two reasons...

(1) There is an active construction site on Elmira Street that often has hold ups and debris in the road
    (2) There is a water leak where Elmira Street joins Loampit Vale (A20) . Not much to notice but one very cold morning last winter I ended up going sideways across the A20 on the sheet ice that resulted. Sh1t scary. Nuff said.
  • I double checked and calling mine blue is a bit of a stretch. I wish I had a blue bike :(

I go the roundabout too now for the same reason as Neil.

Hi Neil by the way.

You must have passed Neil because I don't get overtaken, ever. 8)
    Although sometimes I get so tired I have to stop for a chocolate bar at one of the shops past between Catford and Bromley.
  • nich
    Clever Pun wrote:

I always go round the roundabout for two reasons...

(1) There is an active construction site on Elmira Street that often has hold ups and debris in the road
    (2) There is a water leak where Elmira Street joins Loampit Vale (A20) . Not much to notice but one very cold morning last winter I ended up going sideways across the A20 on the sheet ice that resulted. Sh1t scary. Nuff said.

Roundabout for me too. I tend to time the 1st 'n 2nd set of lights and make it through on green, but then get stuck on the 3rd set.

Then it's a case of sit in the lane and pedal like mad to the right turn, where I then relax :)
  • Relax and then think argh why are you overtaking me then cutting me up on that 90 deg corner after and then ride along before someone trys to overtake on the blind corner before the bridge :evil:
  • I do get overtaken sometimes. On the Col de Bromley in particular.

This evening almost inevitable as I'll be on my old Ridgeback Hybrid.

Have dangly light on back of Altura Night Vision and improvised Blackburn Mars 3 on back of helmet after clip broke through rough part of Peckham.

Doff your caps as you pass... :oops:
  • Clever Pun
    I see other taking the cycle path and I tried it a few times but didn't like it much.

I take the roundabout cause even if the traffic is mental filtering is still pretty easy. Sometimes it's quicker on the road sometimes not, I always feel that corner going under the bridge is ripe for random peds getting in the way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • The 90° corner by matalan leading to the bridge corner was horrendous last winter until they resurfaced it...
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I see other taking the cycle path and I tried it a few times but didn't like it much.

I take the roundabout cause even if the traffic is mental filtering is still pretty easy. Sometimes it's quicker on the road sometimes not, I always feel that corner going under the bridge is ripe for random peds getting in the way

Were you watching exactly that happen to me just earlier? :lol: It's a shame because if it weren't for the pedestrians, it would feel like a short cut - it bypasses all 4 sets of lights and avoids that race away from the lights at Matalan when half the cars want to change to the inside to outside lane and the other half wants to do the same in reverse and nobody is really keeping an eye out for cyclists who are heading for Brookmill Road. (It was dry at the end of Elmira Road.)

On balance, I'll probably still take the roundabout because it doesn't feel quite right to change your ''on the rode mode'' of cycling for such a small distance.
  • I saw Clever Pun ride past today when I stopped to get my weeks supply of yogurt 8) Only I managed to get lost on the same route I go every day :roll:
  • Neil Holland
    Neil Holland Posts: 109
    edited January 2011
    FrankieH.

Do you get your yoghurt from Lidl next to McDonalds in Surrey Quays?

If so we've chatted a couple of mornings Tifossi brother... :)
  • nich
    Nearly got shoved of the road by a bus this morning in Lewisham going into London, right under that crappy bridge. Literally a few inches from my side.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,0,17.44

It's a pinchpoint, and there's not really room enough for a car + bike, let alone a bus, but they only seem to figure this out at the last minute.

I also find it rather hard to take primary here as cars on the right of you as you approach come speeding past trying to make it through. I'll plonk myself right in the middle next time no matter what.

I didn't get the bus drivers details as he turned off further up. hate. buses.
  • nich wrote:
    Nearly got shoved of the road by a bus this morning in Lewisham going into London, right under that crappy bridge. Literally a few inches from my side.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,0,17.44

It's a pinchpoint, and there's not really room enough for a car + bike, let alone a bus, but they only seem to figure this out at the last minute.

I also find it rather hard to take primary here as cars on the right of you as you approach come speeding past trying to make it through. I'll plonk myself right in the middle next time no matter what.

I didn't get the bus drivers details as he turned off further up. hate. buses.

That is a horrible bit.

There is also a humongous collapsed manhole / pothole / grand canyon under the bridge.

You either have to go wide primary or gutter.

When you swing past the bus stops before the lights take primary and hold it until the 90 degree left.