Lance is in Adelaide doing one of his rides to help....

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited January 2011 in Pro race
..... the people of Queensland.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... ter_Appeal

Gotta hand it to him. He does care about other people. Quite remarkable.

As Moses parted the Red Sea, Lance clears the floods in Queensland. The man is truly amazing.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    May the Good Lord have mercy on us all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • How dare he,what an absolute c*@t :roll:
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I can't help but hate him. :oops:
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    It seems that not everybody in Australia loves Lance.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2011/01/14/an-open-letter-to-lance-armstrong/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I imagine over at the LA obsessed CyclingNews forum this is seen as some part of some sort of big conspiracy, probably involving Pat McQ.

LA isn't evil. He's just someone who cheated at sport - like so many of his contempories.
    I'm sure most of the time he's a decent bloke.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nike-livestrong-firefly-jacket-3.jpg

I see LiveStrong gear in a lot of places, especially the gym and now they've come out with jackets like above and I've seen more track top like ones as well, wouldn't really think one would wear a black jacket cycling http://www.freshnessmag.com/2009/07/13/ ... ng-jacket/ , the firefly above. Nice change of pace from seeing football team emblems and the like. The line of apparel doesn't seem prohibitively expensive as if it were made of goretex and the like or Campy jackets.

livestrong_packages_back.jpg

A lot of hoopla about all this.

"Oakley Donates $1 Million from Livestrong Eyewear Sales" And I don't even think I've ever seen Oakley Lance glasses except in pictures on the net.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    those bands should be checked for plasticisers
  • dilemna
    those bands should be checked for plasticisers

Aren't they ear rings :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Very happy to wear Livestrong:

img0229st.jpg
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Very happy to subsidise Lances private jet:

img0229st.jpg

Fixed that for you :wink:

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of the money raised by livestrong goes on travel.

I'll be surprised if his 50k ever makes it into the QLD flood charity.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:

img0229st.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of the money raised by livestrong goes on travel.

FFS grow up.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I'm sure it will. But I wonder if it's more or less than the amount of the cancer research place pays him to allow them to use "livestrong" in their name?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

img0229st.jpg

FFS grow up.

What does the little top dial on the watch measure? Haematocrit?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    god can't the guy do anything right???

lets look at what he's actually just done (ignoring all the stuff about doping accusations etc. TdF wins, livestrong)

he's gone on a bike ride with a bunch of people who want to go on a bike ride with him.
    he's given $50,000 of his own personal money to charity!!!!
    Probably (my guess not definite fact) got a bunch of other people to give money to help with the floods.

what on earth more is the guy expected to do?...if any of you guys have managed to do anything near that I'll be impressed
  • I think I saw that black hoodie above in the role as the Spirit of Christmas to come in a Christmas Carol movie, okay, that was pretty funny but I'm not here to only crack jokes, actually a lot of the livestrong gear does look sharp, maybe when the weather gets better, might as well get that as much as a new Addidas fluorescent shirt which I got one of last year. I think they look good and I see a lot of people wearing the yellow bands, I've got one I put on ever so often and another in the bag still. If anyone goes to the gym, well, this one I'll go to on occasion always has someone wearing a Livestrong jacket or shirt it seems. Like I said, something different than a football track top is variety, good to see.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Said it before and I'll say it again, doing a twitter ride with his fans is a cool thing to do.

And making a donation is a nice thing to do. But when he was paid $1m in the past to be in Oz, $50K seems somewhat tight. But whatever. better than nothing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • trtimothy wrote:
    god can't the guy do anything right???

lets look at what he's actually just done (ignoring all the stuff about doping accusations etc. TdF wins, livestrong)

he's gone on a bike ride with a bunch of people who want to go on a bike ride with him.
    he's given $50,000 of his own personal money to charity!!!!
    Probably (my guess not definite fact) got a bunch of other people to give money to help with the floods.

what on earth more is the guy expected to do?...if any of you guys have managed to do anything near that I'll be impressed

Not yet he hasn't, he gets 2 mil to race there.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

FFS grow up.

Sorry pal but it's all true. Beware of false idols.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Actually I don't think he has his own jet, he has an account with someone like NetJets or some executive jet hire co. In a week that has seen St. Bono's facebook investment quadruple to $400 million does it matter that Armstrong has supposedly 'only' given $50k
    M.Rushton
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Rann has just named a cycle route after Livestrong - wonder how much that cost him.

Considering that all the time that 'this one's on the house' during Comeback 2.0 was actually being paid at least UCI minimum wage along with the huge appearance fees that were given on the assumption they were going to Livestrong and not simply being trousered, I'd say $50,000 was buying a lot of positive PR before the inevitable happens...
  • RichN95.
    micron wrote:
    Rann has just named a cycle route after Livestrong - wonder how much that cost him.

Probably nothing. It's a cycle route, not the Emirates Stadium.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:
    micron wrote:

:D nice one .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:
    micron wrote:

The emirates is nothing ;)
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    ... the Emirates?

Isn't that somewhere a dodgy sports governing body is organising a football match in 2022? :wink:
  • dilemna
    I wonder what Robbie McEwen, Stuart O'Grady or Cadel Evans are doing to help their fellow Aussies or how much they are donating?
  • RichN95.
    dilemna wrote:
    I wonder what Robbie McEwen, Stuart O'Grady or Cadel Evans are doing to help their fellow Aussies or how much they are donating?

All of the teams are auctioning off signed jerseys (organised by Gerrans, Rogers & Davis. Davis is from one of the badly hit areas)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dilemna wrote:

Some people like to donate without making a song and dance about it.

I like how Kevin Peitersen, Andrew Bogut and Tim Cahill have gone about raising funds.

Incredibly, Cahill's auction is at $999,999

Fantastic stuff.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm with Iain, you can critiscise LA for a lot of things, but donating 50k to charity is not one of them.

I've actually enjoyed watching LA race over the years, but can't wait until he retires again. I think he probably doped, and if he did then he deserves to get busted for it, but the constant sniping and bitching from the anti-armstrong brigade is getting so tiresome. All saying how much they hate him, yet constantly posting about him every time he so much as scratches his behind.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The donation is OK but you can't help wonder at the cheek of it all, taking $2 million dollars from the Aussie taxpayer and then handing back $50,000 in a bid to look sympathetic.

He's struggling to avoid controversy, what should be a swansong is turning into a kangaroo court and if the rumoured Sports Illustrated magazine article appears then Aussie politicians will wonder if they get good value.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    You might like to ask the 'Livestrong' cancer centre in Flinders how much they had to pay for something that was claimed to have been 'donated'.

SJ I would certainly be happier to take Armstrong's actions at face value if they weren't always part of a 'look at me what a good person I am' PR campaign - that's just my opinion of course :wink:

A note on auctioned jerseys - a lot of this has been set up & co ordinated through twitterm particularly the efforts of Cycle Girl (credit where it's due)