If you're not a manc you're a w...

13»

Comments

• Anyone doing the Cheshire Cat ride on March 27th?
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    It was coooold this morning, had to hold my thumb in my hand coming down the canal as it was biting so much.

Has anyone stopped at the sustrans interview station on the stretford side of the canal? I havn't really had time but wanted to know what it was about.
    FCN: 6
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Manchester? - Dark side of the pennines that is.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Maybe its because all the Mancs are in London, not supporting their local clubs?

This is a myth born out of jealousy. United have had crowds larger than all other clubs in
    England for many generations. United draw more supporters from Manchester and the
    surrounding area than City. All successful clubs have fans away from their immediate area.

I strongly suspect not all Spurs and Arsenal fans reside in North London.
    Neither do I believe all Liverpool supports live on Merseyside. Listen to 606 on radio 5 live
    and you'll hear (non scouse) Liverpool and Leeds fans from London. :wink:

If you're old enough to remember, November 1975, when United were in the old 2nd divison.
    United were top of the table, Sunderland (who ended the season in 4th place) were in 2nd spot.
    United beat Sunderland 3-2 in front of a crowd of 60,585. Imagine, 2nd division and more
    that 60,000 people watching. I was there in the Stretford End.

(De Sisti, exiled Mancunian in the Cotswold).
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    De Sisti wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Maybe its because all the Mancs are in London, not supporting their local clubs?

This is a myth born out of jealousy. United have had crowds larger than all other clubs in
    England for many generations. United draw more supporters from Manchester and the
    surrounding area than City. All successful clubs have fans away from their immediate area.

Neither do I believe all Liverpool supports live on Merseyside. Listen to 606 on radio 5 live

If you're old enough to remember, November 1975, when United were in the old 2nd divison.
    United were top of the table, Sunderland (who ended the season in 4th place) were in 2nd spot.
    United beat Sunderland 3-2 in front of a crowd of 60,585. Imagine, 2nd division and more

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I commute from (near Manchester Airport) into Stockport centre.

The roads are a f****** disgrace, knocked both my wheels out of tru.

The standard of driving in Manchester is some of the worst in the UK (according to many of the bloggs I've read) and through my own experiences.

(subject change)

Riding through Edgeley on the way back to MIA I occasional bump into this guy on a folder, he tucks in behind me as we head downhill towards Morrisons and Cheadle.

I'm pedaling like f*** doing about 40kph and he;s sat behind me freewheeling and whistling
    :roll:

Wonder what he's like on a real bike :lol:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Echoii
    Echoii Posts: 13
    I commute Northenden to Handforth/Wilmslow.

I'd say the drivers as a whole were good, but there are a few who give you literally no room to get past in stopped traffic and drive unbelievable close to you. Near sharston post office they park over the cycle and path way as well. :roll:
    Claud Butler Explorer 100

Carrera Fury
  • riggsy81
    Echoii wrote:
    I commute Northenden to Handforth/Wilmslow.

I'd say the drivers as a whole were good, but there are a few who give you literally no room to get past in stopped traffic and drive unbelievable close to you. Near sharston post office they park over the cycle and path way as well. :roll:

what way do you go as I ride the opposite was from Handforth to Sale going past Sharston tip, through Northern Moor etc
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I commute from Prestwich to Middleton. Re the the condition of the roads I knackered one of my rims on a pothole a couple of months back, reported it to Manchester City Council and it was filled within a couple of days. I haven't had the same luck with Bury Council but then I did report a whole road...
  • straas
    Just wanted a bit of an opinion here on whether I was incorrect in what I did;

I was heading down oxford road yesterday morning towards town, I always take the RHL as I turn at Whitworth st and it's pretty hard to change lanes otherwise - I'd gathered I bit of momentum and was doing about 28mph downhill when I noticed a guy on a mtb with knobblies doing about 20mph on the far edge of the RHL

I passed the guy on his left hand side, which in retrospect doesn't seem like the best idea - though I do try and bomb it down here to keep out of the traffics way.

So what would you have done in this situation?
  • Echoii
    Echoii Posts: 13
    riggsy81 wrote:
    what way do you go as I ride the opposite was from Handforth to Sale going past Sharston tip, through Northern Moor etc

I go up roundwood along altrincham road, down through the industrial estate and right up longleylane/park road and along style road.

I ride a black hybrid claud butler.

What do you ride i'll keep an eye out, however i cycle to and from work at obscure times.
    Claud Butler Explorer 100

Carrera Fury
  • riggsy81
    Echoii wrote:
    riggsy81 wrote:

I go up roundwood along altrincham road, down through the industrial estate and right up longleylane/park road and along style road.

I ride a black hybrid claud butler.

What do you ride i'll keep an eye out, however i cycle to and from work at obscure times.

I ride a red/white roadie (a Decathlon Sport 1).. im usually going towards sale at 7ish and home at 4.15ish

look out for a fat bloke on a roadie hahaha :D
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    De Sisti wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

In November '75 I was in training. Potty training!

I won't slag off Manchester as a city, I don't think I've ever been there.
    I have been to Liverpool though and it looked closed. Boarded up shops, derelict houses etc and that was at the height of the boom. I imagine Manchester is similar.

Oop north, its all the same to me!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bibib
    bibib Posts: 25
    Cycle from withington to portland street, as a commute.

Generally its not to bad apart from being cut up and incredibly slow and casual riders.

White Brian Rouke with orange backpack.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I won't slag off Manchester as a city, I don't think I've ever been there.
    I have been to Liverpool though and it looked closed. Boarded up shops, derelict houses etc and that was at the height of the boom. I imagine Manchester is similar.

Oop north, its all the same to me!!

Yes, Manchester is just as you imagine it - in fact it could easily be mistaken for Liverpool. It is nothing but boarded-up shops and derelict houses.

So you see, there is nothing here for you.

More importantly, though, we don't want you here. Got it?
  • straas
    I do love Manchester as a city but it's very rare these days that you can go outside without getting caught up in some kind of a gang gunfight!

It's reet hard to cycle fast on all these cobbles too.