If you're not a manc you're a w...

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello one and all, as long as you're from Manchester

With increasing jealousy I have been looking at both the London and Bristol dedicated threads and wondered why we didn't have one, surely not through a lack of membership - it could only be because we're so busy at being better than everyone else that no-one had a minute to create a thread dedicated to us heroes of the North.

This isn't necessarily a "let's all meet up and have an awkward conversation over a pint" kind of thread, but more one to enhance our commuting experiences and add anything local and worthwhile

As a starter;

- If you're heading up edge lane towards Stretford take great care, it seems as though a bus on the route is losing a lot of oil, which I've been giving a wide berth since it found my back wheel!

Anyways if you're from or commute into/around Manchester pop in here and say hi - we might even see each other about for a spot of SCR.
FCN: 6

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Usually ride East West to the South, but cycle in via the A34 2-3 days a week.
  • I've just fnished my Jury stint at Minshull St, so you'll have more room on the thistle rack again, Oldham to Clayton usually via a bit of a winding route to keep the miles up.
  • i commute up the A56 from Timperley to Salford Quays
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    2010 Kona Jake
    2011 Cube AMS Comp
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    Live in Failsworth work in Ashton family live in Waterhead and i go for leisure rides whereever i feel the urge to go.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This thread is a slow burner.
    Maybe its because all the Mancs are in London, not supporting their local clubs?
    Poor showing not beating Tottenham Hotshit though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Whitefield to Openshaw via Cheetham Hill. My favourite bit being the cut through down Ashton canal. especially after finishing at 2am or 4am. nowt like the threat of loss of life to get the blood pumping :)

(and EKE - we were lucky to get a point being one man down....)
  • Cheetham Hill (Green Quarter) to either the University (Oxford Road campus), or to Salford Royal Hospital. I usually see a few others about for the odd cheeky race... :D
    Dahon Jack 2008 - FCN 10 - Never been scalped though...
  • straas
    Starting to see a few more on the roads now, as it's getting warmer and drier - not sure if I'm looking forward to or dreading shifting my working pattern forwards, will be commuting 8-8.30 and 17-17.30

Guessing there's going to be a loooooot more traffic around at that time!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    edited January 2011
    Heaton Park along bury old road (through cheetham hell) into the coop buildings 5 days a week year round - on a red singlespeed or the mountain bike when it snows....

MattMomal - yes there is more traffic but the key is picking the route (easier said than done sometimes) and try to leave a bit later than 5, the mornings are pretty much constant traffic but there is a definite rush hour in the evenings about 5ish so I'll often do a bit more or get an early dart if I can
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Into the city centre via the Bridgewater canal, Stretford cemetery, Kings Road and various side streets, whenever I can be arsed. Which to be truthful, hasn't been that often lately.
  • Milnrow to city centre, all done on the rochdale canal. Dodging dog turds and the occasional bag head in newton heath
  • I commute from beautiful Cheetham Hill to lovely Gorton. I normally go via City Centre along Bury New Rd, then Upper Brook Street and Plymouth Grove. Or I use Queens Road, Alan Turing Way, Pottery Lane.

I ride a black Cube MTB or black Cannondale CAAD9 wearing a red jacket. Got a puncture this morning on Kirkmanshulme Lane and got told off by another cyclist for hopping on to the pavement! :(
  • . Got a puncture this morning on Kirkmanshulme Lane and got told off by another cyclist for hopping on to the pavement! :(

no patience some people. I'm not surprised you punctured, that bit of green tarmac is always full of cr@p and sharp stuff. Always seems to be worse heading to Longsight - not sure why.

not as if its a narrow footpath either is it and I barely ever see peds that way on.

sounds like fellow cyclist had grit somewhere unpleasant.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Good to see a Yonner or two on here.

Each time I'm back 'home' the roads just get worse and worse! I thought they were bad when I used to commute firstly from Royton to Manchester (via Mills Hill, Greengate, Lightbowne Rd, Oldham Rd) and then later from Royton to Greenfield (including the climb up through Lees and Grotton to Lydgate). I thought they were getting really bad last Easter but this Christmas the roads looked like a they'd been shelled with mortars! Someone needs to get onto t'Council!!
  • badwolf
    badwolf Posts: 26
    Well since changing jobs Im currently doing a rather pathetic Salford Quays <-> Urmston, via Trafford Park and I'm looking to move somewhere further away from work to make it interesting again.

And, why do no cyclist say hello to each other around here? Anyone'd think this was London :D
  • It's you stuck up southerners :wink: us northern mancs go for the INR and even the odd hello.
  • straas
    Couple of faster one's along upper chorlton road this morning, had their scalps on chorlton road but was hoping they'd turn onto birchfields road for a bit of a battle....

Couple of contenders along oxford road aswell, but there wasn't really enough ground to be able to call them scalps - guy on a (red?) spesh seemed fairly rapid.

Definately beats racing (and losing against) the cars!
  • First time on the road bike after a long stint on the MTB, couldn't believe how fast and nimble it felt.

Scalped a postman and an old man on a hybrid :oops:
  • Commute 3 times a week from Cheadle (just near the Galleon Hotel) through Parrswood Rd then Wilmslow / Oxford Rd into town.

Usually leave about 7.30am and have seen quite a few more commuters out in the new year, although only one that is up for any SCR (black roadie with yellow jacket / rucksack - i'm usually in black with a blue rucksack on a white/blue giant defy 2 (my first road bike))

I hadn't seen this thread until today and am similarly jealous of the community those luuuuduuuun commuters have got going on!

Would be up for timing my departure to coincide with others for a more enjoyable ride.
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    I commute from Didsbury to Reddish every day I'm in Manchester. I take a direct route through Parrs Wood and Heaton Moor if the weather is bad. If the weather's good, I take a slight detour, usually through Northernden, then Wilmslow, Poynton, Hazel Grove and back towards Stockport and Reddish. In the summer, I usually stretch it out to go through Prestbury. On average, it adds up to nice 250 - 300 km a week.

I usually leave from Didsbury around 7 - 7:10 and get to the office at 8.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • straas
    Jeeesus, it was nippy this morning!

saw a lot of black ice around junctions - scary stuff.

Has anyone noticed there's been a lot more traffic on the road in the past two days?

Also it's amazingly bright today!
  • janm399
    Yes, there was a lot more traffic going home yesterday evening.

And this morning was the morning of witless driving. Not dangerous or malicious, just stupid. You know, the needless close overtakes, overtake and then brake and my favourite, driving with all windows frozen and just a small periscope-hole in one's windscreen. Grr!

Still, the days are getting brighter, another 2 months and it'll be perfect again.
  • Any ideas why it's been so busy?

I've been told by the girlfriend that Erwood Road (near Levenshulme High School) has been shut which must have put quite a bit of traffic onto Stockport Road and the Kingsway but it wouldnt explain quite why it's been soo busy across the board...must be the cold...

I avoid the Kingsway anyhow so it hasn't affected me too much plus the students aren't back in full force so the Oxford Road corridor isn't as mental as it can get
  • janm399
    No idea why the roads were so busy. Could just be the counter-intuitive effect of Markov chain that is traffic. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M.
  • straas
    I thought it might be because people were taking to the roads instead of PT, but have asked about the office and seems like PT has been pretty busy aswell!
  • janm399
    Well, let's just hope that everyone got as much driving out of their system as possible to make the roads quiet over the weekend!
  • straas
    Hopefully, I've noticed the standard of driving has been worse aswell - people starting to edge out as I'm passing a junction, overtaking whilst throwing the anchor down and general asshattery.
  • In exile in London but one day hope to come back. Used to ride my Raleigh Bomber all around Benchill. Often fixed by by Threadgolds.
  • straas
    What do you boys do on the weekend? pootle about by yourself or partner up with clubs?
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    I tend to pootle about by myself